The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Furthermore... if we can trade back and add another 1st next year. That gives us 3 1st rounders just in that draft. Allowing us to do nearly anything we want. Trade for a proven QB. Trade up in the draft for a guy. Etc.

This is the part that kind of concerns me though. We may have lost the possibility of trading to 4 with Atlanta’s extension of Marty Ice. Carolina is the sweet spot, but maybe they are comfortable with the possibility of Lance or Jones at 8. Trading down is typically rarer than we think. What if we can’t trade down?  I don’t want a WR at 2 when we just signed a really good one. Sewell may be the obvious choice but we have bigger needs than a RT. No other player is worth the #2 overall pick this year. 

If we trade down to 8...I would take Pitts even though it goes against the grain but he would be the best player. Maybe Slater? I like Slater as much as Sewell. I, like others, also feel both scared and excited about the thought of this. I will say this. If Sam shows little improvement in this system, he’s never making it anywhere else. When is the 5th year option deadline?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

If we trade down to 8...I would take Pitts even though it goes against the grain but he would be the best player. Maybe Slater? I like Slater as much as Sewell. I, like others, also feel both scared and excited about the thought of this. I will say this. If Sam shows little improvement in this system, he’s never making it anywhere else. When is the 5th year option deadline?

The option decision is in May. I agree about Pitts. I think he will be another Waller. If he can improve his blocking, he can also become another Kelce or Kittles. I good weapon to have. 

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

The option decision is in May. I agree about Pitts. I think he will be another Waller. If he can improve his blocking, he can also become another Kelce or Kittles. I good weapon to have. 

The pass catching TE is extremely important in this offense. I haven’t given up completely on Herndon but we definitely overrated him. He blocks well at least.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

So far, JD is doing what he said he was going to do. He will make a decision on QB after the pro days are done. He may not announce anything, but that is when he will decide if Sam is going to be the QB or he drafts one. If he was sold on Sam, we may have heard the old “Sam is our QB” thing. I truly believe JD is just taking a very cautious and analytical approach to the QB position.

Keep in mind, the new coaching staff has only had a little more than a month to evaluate all the tape on Sam and the QB draft prospects. This is in addition to all the other FA and draft prospects. It takes a lot more time if you really want to do it right. We fans watch a couple of college games, maybe, or view a couple of YouTube highlights and come to a conclusion. I am pretty sure they are doing a much more in depth analysis. That is why they are paid the big bucks. Isn’t that what we want?

Either way, whatever direction the Jets take it will not be for lack of doing research. I will trust the move we make will be based on the best available information. I will trust that. For now. 

This would NEVER happen right now. You do not want the other teams to know you are not taking a QB. You have to leave all options on the table that way you can create a bidding war more easliy.  What JD should be saying is NOTHING like he has. Just because JD said he would listen to trade offers does not mean he is not the QB. I think all GM's should listen to all trade offers and all players should have a price tag on trading them. You are only selling yourself short if you go the other way. 

50 minutes ago, xrade said:

This is the part that kind of concerns me though. We may have lost the possibility of trading to 4 with Atlanta’s extension of Marty Ice. Carolina is the sweet spot, but maybe they are comfortable with the possibility of Lance or Jones at 8. Trading down is typically rarer than we think. What if we can’t trade down?  I don’t want a WR at 2 when we just signed a really good one. Sewell may be the obvious choice but we have bigger needs than a RT. No other player is worth the #2 overall pick this year. 

Oh there will be offers on the table and good ones. Phil at 6, Panthers at 8, Denver at 9, 49ers at 12. All these guys could use a QB and are willing to trade up. If you can snag 2 or 3 1st round picks this year and next you take it. Most scouts and GM say you could see 4 QB go in the first 6 picks. I think Phil makes the move with us. I don't think Phil is sold on hurts and wants Wilson or Fields. These guys seem to fit the phil way. That means Chase, Smith or Sewell will be there. I think Miami and Cinn both go WR leaving us Sewell. 

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

Oh there will be offers on the table and good ones. Phil at 6, Panthers at 8, Denver at 9, 49ers at 12. All these guys could use a QB and are willing to trade up. If you can snag 2 or 3 1st round picks this year and next you take it. Most scouts and GM say you could see 4 QB go in the first 6 picks. I think Phil makes the move with us. I don't think Phil is sold on hurts and wants Wilson or Fields. These guys seem to fit the phil way. That means Chase, Smith or Sewell will be there. I think Miami and Cinn both go WR leaving us Sewell. 

Sure the possibility is there. I would just hate to sit there on April 29th and hear that the Jets are not taking a QB at 2 and do not trade down. I can’t shake that image out of my head.  Logic tells me it will be a QB or trade down. My Jet fan in me tells me it will be a RT. I stopped drinking in November, this could cause me to go off the wagon. 

46 minutes ago, xrade said:

Wilson also did not have a stellar OL, WR or RB. It is all relative. He played poorer competition with poorer players. Fields was opposite. If the competition was all that determined the success of a QB, then all QB’s from a few power 5 schools should be starting in the NFL.  

In most cases it just the opposite some of these big school QB's are a product of their environment they have great o line great receivers and these QB don't have to go thru progressions, take the Alabama qb he drops back to pass well protected, receiver is wide open he doesn't have to look for another receiver. It is a whole different game when you get in the pros. Some of the best Q came from small schools like John Unitas, Phil Simms, Tony Roma, Kurt Warner.

The point of this whole thing we are talking about the teams Wilson, played this year where he had crazy numbers. these teams were not even a level three school they were no more than a top high school team, They were put on the schedule when the virus hit.

Yes, this is a very real possibility.

The two teams I think we’d trade down to are Denver and Carolina.

It really comes down to:

Darnold for a 2nd and Wilson at #2 

OR

Trade #2 for #8, #39 and a 2022 1st or a similar package to Denver

If we trade down:

Id like us to grab Pitts if not Slater. I don’t think Chase will be there. Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle would be my next options.

Pitts, in our offensive system, could shine. Slater can play all 5 OL positions and JD loves versatile OL.

Edited by SDotNova

Darnold has not produced. His production has been poor. Bottom of the league poor.

The reason to trade down is that you still believe in his ability. He can throw on the run just like Wilson. He’s mobile just like Wilson. He has a strong arm and quick hands. Darnold’s only negatives skill set wise is his down field accuracy and reading coverage. Both of these issues are downplayed in this offense. So it gives him more time to develop in those areas. But even if he doesn’t, they’re not crucial to be successful.

In hindsight, Gase was a bad pairing. Darnold cannot run a complex offense.   At least not right now he can’t.

Wilson is a better prospect than Darnold though. The question is how big is the gap. Wilson is accurate to all parts of the field.

Edited by SDotNova

14 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

In most cases it just the opposite some of these big school QB's are a product of their environment they have great o line great receivers and these QB don't have to go thru progressions, take the Alabama qb he drops back to pass well protected, receiver is wide open he doesn't have to look for another receiver. It is a whole different game when you get in the pros. Some of the best Q came from small schools like John Unitas, Phil Simms, Tony Roma, Kurt Warner.

The point of this whole thing we are talking about the teams Wilson, played this year where he had crazy numbers. these teams were not even a level three school they were no more than a top high school team, They were put on the schedule when the virus hit.

But did you watch Wilson play? Did you see some of the throws to covered receivers? Lasers on time and on target. He elevated that team. He played with crap and won football games. That is all translatable to the NFL. I like Fields as well. I just question whether he can elevate his teammates because he has never had to. 

32 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

This would NEVER happen right now. You do not want the other teams to know you are not taking a QB. You have to leave all options on the table that way you can create a bidding war more easliy.  What JD should be saying is NOTHING like he has. Just because JD said he would listen to trade offers does not mean he is not the QB. I think all GM's should listen to all trade offers and all players should have a price tag on trading them. You are only selling yourself short if you go the other way. 

My point about that statement is that it is BS. GM’s and coaches say it a lot and then they get someone else. JD does not play that game. He is a straight shooter it seems. Had we heard that, it could very well mean Sam is the starter. Period. Since he did not, we have no way of knowing his intentions. It may become more clear after the pro days. Chances are we still won’t hear anything.