The possibility of keeping Darnold and trading down thread

ekill08x

5 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I was originally a fan of Sewell at #2.  However, the possibility of trading down to #8 (Pitts), #39 , and 1st round next year seems pretty appealing.

Our receiving corp would be very strong.  Using #23, #32, #39 to draft CB, OT, and RB fills quite a few holes.  Very strong OL gives QB more time for reading his options, improves the running game.  I think we are weak in CB need to take great efforts to secure a top one.  It may also be that strong receiving corp and OL opens up the running game so that we can defer that pick to a later round.

Having build this infrastructure, we will give Darnold all the tools he would need to succeed, if he doesn't we will know that QB is something we can address next year.  With 3 #1's we should go a long way to being competitive in 2 years.

Just curious, which do we have a bigger hole OT or IG?  With the trade down I propose, which positions in order of priority would you like to see addressed.  I know this depends on BPA, but if it were just a draft board at this point is what I am interesting in hearing your opinion.

QB situation is hard to figure out.   I wish I can read Saleh's mind.

Guard is definitely more pressing need than Tackle.      

RB can be anyone.

CB can be taken after first round for better service.

WR will depend on what Jets are looking for.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

RB can be anyone.

Assuming we do trade to #8 and grab Pitts, what are the biggest holes you would like filled at #23, #32, and #29?

Suppose we did make trade and got #8 and #39 and 1st next year.  Is that the right value?  How far up in first can we move if we packaged #23 and #39?

3 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Assuming we do trade to #8 and grab Pitts, what are the biggest holes you would like filled at #23, #32, and #29?

Suppose we did make trade and got #8 and #39 and 1st next year.  Is that the right value?  How far up in first can we move if we packaged #23 and #39?

First of all, we have no idea what is right value but you can use this chart to get idea.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=nyj

For 23, I think it will go with a trench.  LB, CB, TE or possibly RB with next picks.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

RB can be anyone.

OK the only thing I completely disagree with is  (RB can be anybody) It has to be Etienne, Harris, or Williams, If either of them are in on the board we must pick them at 23 than a guard at 34. If Douglas trades down than we can get them all. How would it feel to have a RB like Freeman Mc Neil, Curtis Martin, John Riggens, and we can do it with these guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

OK the only thing I completely disagree with is  (RB can be anybody) It has to be Etienne, Harris, or Williams, If either of them are in on the board we must pick them at 23 than a guard at 34. If Douglas trades down than we can get them all. How would it feel to have a RB like Freeman Mc Neil, Curtis Martin, John Riggens, and we can do it with these guys.

Anybody.

Just now, JetsandI said:

Anybody.

I except that from the young guy on the board but not from you, remember the times when we had these great RB and how helpful it was to our QB. I quess I have to fight this RB battle alone

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I except that from the young guy on the board but not from you, remember the times when we had these great RB and how helpful it was to our QB. I quess I have to fight this RB battle alone

Because I am prepared for RB committee. That is something Mike LaFleur has accustomed to.

30 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Different era. Again, we will use a RBBC. You don’t waste high draft picks on a time share RB. Maybe after all the more important holes are filled, we can get a high draft pick RB. 

Choices, in order of personal/personnel preference:

1. Stay and take OT Penei Sewell before Miami does;

2. Trade down to 5th and take whomever is left between Fields and Wilson;

3. Trade down to 6th or lower and take the best player available; or,

4. Take a tertiary QB and pray Douglas and Saleh are infinitely better at recognizing and developing QB talent than their predecessors.  Which isn't that unlikely.

Currently third in cap space I'd like to see Trader Joe [Douglas] more active in free agency.  Narrow down the needs list before Draft Day.  Stop pipe dreaming about Deshaun Watson.  If you're stuck with Sam Darnold surround him with tools that might attract quality veteran talent.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

It might be helpful in understanding what LaFleur may do by looking at what SF has done. SF did not utilize a power run game predicated on beefy lineman going mano a mano with whoever is in front of them.  Lots of outside zone runs. Think of the Raiders game with Ty running between the B gap and off tackle as opposed to Gore’s up the gut runs.

Then look at what RB’s SF drafted and when. Their last RB draft pick was in the 4th round in 2017!  Their highest draft pick in recent times was Carlos Hyde in round 2 of 2014!

In terms of team rushing yards, SF was middle of the pack in 2018 and 2020. They were 2nd in 2019. Is it a good system? I don’t know. The Wins have not really been consistent 13W in 2019 but sub .500 before and after. They also have not really had a decent QB. The point is, if LaFleur is going to copy Shanahan, we will not be drafting a RB high in the draft. Even if he copies his brother in GB, they chose Dillon in round 2 last year but they still resigned their 5th round pick to be their lead back. Even being cash strapped they resigned Jones. Of course having Rodgers led O helps. 

Edited by xrade

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

It might be helpful in understanding what LaFleur may do by looking at what SF has done. SF did not utilize a power run game predicated on beefy lineman going mano a mano with whoever is in front of them.  Lots of outside zone runs. Think of the Raiders game with Ty running between the B gap and off tackle as opposed to Gore’s up the gut runs.

Then look at what RB’s SF drafted and when. Their last RB draft pick was in the 4th round in 2017!  Their highest draft pick in recent times was Carlos Hyde in round 2 of 2014!

In terms of team rushing yards, SF was middle of the pack in 2018 and 2020. They were 2nd in 2019. Is it a good system? I don’t know. The Wins have not really been consistent 13W in 2019 but sub .500 before and after. They also have not really had a decent QB. The point is, if LaFleur is going to copy Shanahan, we will not be drafting a RB high in the draft. Even if he copies his brother in GB, they chose Dillon in round 2 last year but they still resigned their 5th round pick to be their lead back. Even being cash strapped they resigned Jones. Of course having Rodgers led O helps. 

Hyde was not Shanahan's man.   Joe WIlliams something from Utah was only RB that company had drafted.    A bunch of FA to shore up at RB.  However, they ended up with beefy RB in Raheem Mostert who carried the team into Super Bowl.   Too bad, it was short lived.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Hyde was not Shanahan's man

I know. It was just a point that SF, as an organization, has not drafted RB high in the draft in quite some time.

As for beefy, I was not referring to the RB but the OL.