FFMD War Room Thread

NYRaider

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Either way though I think that our approach to free agency indicates that we likely won't be going DT very early in the draft. We brought back Irving and signed 3 other young guys who have flashed in Jefferson, Philon, and Thomas to compete for spots along with resigning Jonathan Hankins.

Our real-life FO may not be going DT early but I for one think that could be a mistake (yet again). We could easily carry 5 DTs with Hankins, Thomas, Jefferson for example as locks plus one of Irving, Vickers or Philon and the 5th spot could be a rookie with lots of upside like Levi O. The DL is one area of the team that should have a healthy rotation IMHO to keep them fresh. It's not like we rotate CBs or OL like we do DL.

Not sure if the practice squad rules will remain the same but we could always stash a guy like Philon there as a protected vet maybe? Hankins I would say should be the only lock to make the roster based on recent performance.

Edited by Darbsk

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Our real-life FO may not be going DT early but I for one think that could be a mistake (yet again). We could easily carry 5 DTs with Hankins, Thomas, Jefferson for example as locks plus one of Irving, Vickers or Philon and the 5th spot could be a rookie with lots of upside like Levi O. The DL is one area of the team that should have a healthy rotation IMHO to keep them fresh. It's not like we rotate CBs or OL like we do DL.

Not sure if the practice squad rules will remain the same but we could always stash a guy like Philon there as a protected vet maybe? Hankins I would say should be the only lock to make the roster based on recent performance.

I agree, I like Levi as a prospect I just think with how we've approached free agency that we're not likely to target a DT early in the draft. I think Hankins, Thomas, Irving, and Jefferson all make the team with Philon and Hurst battling for a roster spot. Because Thomas/Irving can both also move up and down the DL if needed. 

If we're going to draft a DT I'd personally prefer Tyler Shelvin in round 3 or Tedarrell Slaton in round 4/5. Both guys are big run stuffing NT's that would be potential cheap replacements for Hankins after the season. 

I like Levi a lot but I'm not sure that he makes it to #48 IRL. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree, I like Levi as a prospect I just think with how we've approached free agency that we're not likely to target a DT early in the draft. I think Hankins, Thomas, Irving, and Jefferson all make the team with Philon and Hurst battling for a roster spot. Because Thomas/Irving can both also move up and down the DL if needed. 

If we're going to draft a DT I'd personally prefer Tyler Shelvin in round 3 or Tedarrell Slaton in round 4/5. Both guys are big run stuffing NT's that would be potential cheap replacements for Hankins after the season. 

I like Levi a lot but I'm not sure that he makes it to #48 IRL. 

Yeh, I don't think he'll be there in real life at all and quite possibly we don't go DT in real life.

Hurst I forgot 😁 but he seems to have flamed out as simply a rotational piece and nothing special. I'd love to see Irving or Thomas resurrect their careers here and I was a fan of the Irving signing last year but all our DTs are far from sure things. It's been the one area of the team we've lacked for so, so long I think for me it's a position like QB, if you don't have a franchise player at the position then you draft one every year until you get one 😁

I guess it depends if you're trying to emulate what our FO will likely do in the mock or trying to do your own twist......

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I was a fan of the Irving signing last year but all our DTs are far from sure things.

I agree but I also like the fact that we brought in younger guys with upside in Irving, Thomas, Jefferson, and Philon to battle for playing time as opposed to just handing the job to someone like we did with Collins last year. There really weren't a ton of great options at DT in free agency and this is one of the weakest DT classes in recent memory. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I agree but I also like the fact that we brought in younger guys with upside in Irving, Thomas, Jefferson, and Philon to battle for playing time as opposed to just handing the job to someone like we did with Collins last year. There really weren't a ton of great options at DT in free agency and this is one of the weakest DT classes in recent memory. 

I agree in part, though there's no blue chip prospect at the top of the DT class I do think Nixon, Levi O, Barmore, Togiai and a few others could be very good. None are really worth a 1st rounder in my opinion but in the 2nd and particularly the 3rd there's some very nice potential I feel. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

They have the upside. Will a 3rd round DT have as much upside as Thomas or Irving, have the reliability of Jefferson?

We'll, Irving was an UDFA and Jefferson and Hurst were 5th round picks so they all had what we perceive now as 'upside'. I would say Levi O definitely has. 

6 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

They have the upside. Will a 3rd round DT have as much upside as Thomas or Irving, have the reliability of Jefferson?

Depends on which one is there.  If Onwuzirike is there?  Yes.  Togiai?  Yes.  One of the others?  Maybe not.  From a non-Raidersfan POV, I'm probably not as comfortable with those guys as yall may be.  

Btw, I'm not saying I think we should 100% go DT.  I think BPA at DT, LB, CB, and/or IOL should be the picks at 80 and 81.  Just have to see who is there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Would you actually consider any of them differences makers?

Nope.  None of them have shown the ability within the past 3 years.  It is possible one will but they are just throwing people at the position hoping one works out.

51 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

We'll, Irving was an UDFA and Jefferson and Hurst were 5th round picks so they all had what we perceive now as 'upside'. I would say Levi O definitely has. 

How many 3tecs will make the roster?  Already got to release some

Levi hasn't improved since his first season.  That's worrying. I have him as a high floor but low ceiling guy. 

51 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Depends on which one is there.  If Onwuzirike is there?  Yes.  Togiai?  Yes.  One of the others?  Maybe not.  From a non-Raidersfan POV, I'm probably not as comfortable with those guys as yall may be.  

Btw, I'm not saying I think we should 100% go DT.  I think BPA at DT, LB, CB, and/or IOL should be the picks at 80 and 81.  Just have to see who is there.

Doesn't Togial have injury problems?

Levi for me is high floor and low ceiling as he hasn't developed over the years.    Does he make the difference? 

It's all a lottery and there already brought a number of tickets for DT this season. 

4 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

How many 3tecs will make the roster?  Already got to release some

I think Irving, Thomas, and Jefferson will all make the team because Irving/Thomas can and have played defensive end. Hurst/Philon will both have to battle for a spot in TC. 

15 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Doesn't Togial have injury problems?

Levi for me is high floor and low ceiling as he hasn't developed over the years.    Does he make the difference? 

It's all a lottery and there already brought a number of tickets for DT this season. 

Only thing I know of for Togiai is that he missed the the National Championship with COVID.

I think Onwuzirike has a pretty high ceiling, probably moreso than the current guys on the roster.

This is a fair point.  

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I don’t pass on onwuzurike in the 2nd round. Period. Let alone the 3rd.

• Like 1