All things Deshaun Watson

DiehardBronxFan

Well I think any chance of trade on or before draft day has disappeared now. 

I actually think a trade is pretty unlikely full stop now. No one is going to pay a silly ransom for him until this situation is resolved, so all the QB needy teams will go ahead and find their alternative, whether it be through the draft (likely NYJ, CAR), sticking with their guy (likely MIA) or bringing in a veteran (likely DEN)

If the situation does resolve itself after the draft then you might have a situation where it’s one team bidding against themselves (Denver or the Niners) and I really don’t see the Texans giving Watson up on the cheap at that point. I think they’d keep him for a year and dare him to hold out. 

3 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Let’s put all the DeShaun Watson talk here, and save the “What to do at QB” thread for the more general QB discussion 

I feel like a loser bringing it up because it’s a thread I started, but there’s 13 pages of Deshaun talk in the ‘what’s your offer for Deshaun?’ thread. 

I won't go on further about Watson - but the evidence against him is mounting up. There are now 16 separate lawsuits and clear corroborative evidence in the 15th lawsuit of a criminal act by Watson.  The multiple lawsuits claim that Watson behaved in a predatory fashion and if accurate then they do suggest predatory behaviour. And here is the problem for any team that is considering trading for Watson - people who are sexual predators tend to continue (and even escalate) such behaviour.

I think Florio does a good job outlining the current situation in this clip - and it should be noted that he has also been highly critical of the approach of the plaintiffs' lawyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRGl_kGPGJY

Edited by jolly red giant

It’s a huge risk to pay the high price for Watson. I want no part of him. I would like to see what we have in Lock. If you look at some individual games he had some great games to show he’s capable of being a legit starter. He needs to be consistent and protect the football. Last season was an anomaly with the pandemic and having a new OC as well as his injury. This season will most likely have preseason games and he has another year under the same OC. If he can’t take the next step then we will have to look at bringing in our new QBOTF in 2022

Edited by CDNBRONCOSFAN

Well, this risk just took a step closer to strong possibility with the SF/MIA trade. The draft will likely go 1-4 with the QB's and with the price being established, have to wonder what impact that will have on a Watson trade. Obviously Carolina may have the same scenario waiting on their plate so the competition is still ahead, but just as SF set the bar, perhaps Paton needs to be m=proactive here. 

20 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, this risk just took a step closer to strong possibility with the SF/MIA trade. The draft will likely go 1-4 with the QB's and with the price being established, have to wonder what impact that will have on a Watson trade. Obviously Carolina may have the same scenario waiting on their plate so the competition is still ahead, but just as SF set the bar, perhaps Paton needs to be m=proactive here. 

The only team that will be in better position to trade for Watson post-draft will be Miami.  Phi in theory but I think they are going to see the Hurts experiment through.   Unless Houston somehow thinks Hurts is worth gambling on.    Otherwise it really comes down to how much Miami is committing to Tua.   If both Philly & Houston are going with their young guys we become the top target of Paton gets more 2022 draft ammo by moving back.  

If the investigations keep Watson career prospects intact, and Paton can trade back - the match is going to be there.   Obviously a huge if.    But we also don’t have nearly as many draft Rd1 scenarios either.  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only team that will be in better position to trade for Watson post-draft will be Miami.  Phi in theory but I think they are going to see the Hurts experiment through.   Unless Houston somehow thinks Hurts is worth gambling on.    Otherwise it really comes down to how much Miami is committing to Tua.   If both Philly & Houston are going with their young guys we become the top target of Paton gets more 2022 draft ammo by moving back.  

If the investigations keep Watson career prospects intact, and Paton can trade back - the match is going to be there.   Obviously a huge if.    But we also don’t have nearly as many draft Rd1 scenarios either.  

I don't think MIA makes that move if they're planning to pursue Watson pre-draft (for obvious reasons). 

I guess it accomplishes both of a) gives MIA a year to see what they have in Tua and b) MIA retains the ability to make the Godfather offer for Watson post-draft.  MIA is savvy 

I don’t think it’s all true, but where there’s some smoke there’s usually some fire.

Watson likely isn’t and shouldn’t be on any teams radar.  The notion that the Texans have set this all up is insane as well.

Watson clearly has some serious, addict level, sexual issues.

56 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

So, even more women filing suits and another detailed account of his predatory behavior emerging today. Pretty disgusting. 

Yeah and the messages deleted from IG it's not looking good. Even if nothing happens criminally can the NFL really only suspend him 6 games? That would be such a bad look. The one girl "Mary," isn't even in the suit had kept stating her terms of being fully drapped, professional massage only 

Wasn't getting through enough for him to not message her he still never booked her . The NFL suspended players indefinitely for substance and I feel like 6 games is looking extremely light .

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Yeah and the messages deleted from IG it's not looking good. Even if nothing happens criminally can the NFL really only suspend him 6 games? That would be such a bad look. The one girl "Mary," isn't even in the suit had kept stating her terms of being fully drapped, professional massage only 

Wasn't getting through enough for him to not message her he still never booked her . The NFL suspended players indefinitely for substance and I feel like 6 games is looking extremely light .

Re: the league actions, keep in mind something that's new for 2021.   All personal conduct penalty decisions aren't the decision for Goodell, or the league, but a league & NFLPA-agreed upon arbitrator.   This is part of the new CBA.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/cba-would-hand-most-discipline-decisions-to-neutral-decision-maker/

It's pretty clear Watson's guilty of solicitation, and very clearly, with massage therapists that weren't offering.   There's no way around it.   In this era, it's more than likely going to get a league penalty.  But the key distinction is whether it's solicitation, or if it's battery/assault.   Again, this is a key distinction.    One is career-ending, one isn't.     The one key difference in punishment is that it's not going to be the league random wheel of punishment that's going to make this call - it's going to be a qualified arbitrator, who the league and NFLPA both agree on.   That's actually less likely to create a complete cover-up simply to protect star players, but it's also going to measure any penalty with the facts agreed upon/decided by courts & the NFL investigation - and not appear to be as random as Goodell's record suggested.

Either way, no one is going to touch this until the case is resolved, and the NFL investigation is complete.   Once that process plays out, it should be clear on whether there's a future for him or not.  

• Like 1