All things Deshaun Watson

DiehardBronxFan

21 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

It’s very clearly not just solicitation. I have no idea how that is even a question at this point. 

Yep.  This is way beyond. Literally not 1 accusation had anything to do with soliciting.  None of these women have anything documented in their reports that they understood there would be anything sexual going on.  Many of them have actually shown proof in attempting to make sure nothing weird would happen and according to them Watson even then didn’t care.

If what these women are claiming ends up being legitimate, Watson is on the same level or pretty damn close to Harvey Weinstein, who got 23 years in prison.

21 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Yep.  This is way beyond. Literally not 1 accusation had anything to do with soliciting.  None of these women have anything documented in their reports that they understood there would be anything sexual going on.  Many of them have actually shown proof in attempting to make sure nothing weird would happen and according to them Watson even then didn’t care.

If what these women are claiming ends up being legitimate, Watson is on the same level or pretty damn close to Harvey Weinstein, who got 23 years in prison.

Just the sheer volume of women being sought out for a job you’d ideally want ONE person to do...this was clearly an obsession for him. It’s a pattern of behavior you see in sexual predators. So at this point my concern would be Watson skating by on this, getting traded, everyone forgetting about it, and now he has an entire new city to seek out new victims. Nope, I have no interest in Deshaun Watson. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Just the sheer volume of women being sought out for a job you’d ideally want ONE person to do...this was clearly an obsession for him. It’s a pattern of behavior you see in sexual predators. So at this point my concern would be Watson skating by on this, getting traded, everyone forgetting about it, and now he has an entire new city to seek out new victims. Nope, I have no interest in Deshaun Watson. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a new development - Buzbee saying that the NFL aren't taking the allegations seriously and that the plaintiffs are not planning on settling the lawsuits. He also said that between 8-10 of the women have been interviewed by Houston PD (who he said are taking the allegations seriously).

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/deshaun-watson-accusers-nfl-wont-settle

https://www.tmz.com/2021/05/13/deshaun-watson-accusers-no-settlement-tony-buzbee-nfl-houston-texans/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/13/tony-buzbee-expresses-concern-regarding-nfls-handling-of-deshaun-watson-investigation/

Edited by jolly red giant

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

It appears there may be movement on a Watson settlement. Paton has said he'd be in on ALL trades, will he be  if this is legit ?

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/8073/deshaun-watson

These discussions have been going on since the draft - that is why there was silence up until Buzbee came out this week and said there would be no settlement. This was clearly a shot across the bows of Hardin and the rest of Watson's legal team. Hardin then hit back by claiming that he was demanding that the any settlement agreement would be made public - only to later agree to Buzbee's request that the settlement be kept private. This was a mechanism for Hardin and Watson to claim that they had nothing to hide and it was the plaintiffs that were hiding stuff. This is likely motivated by an attempt to mitigate the potential suspension from the NFL and to create an acceptable atmosphere for a trade. Let's be clear - there is no way that Hardin and Watson would agree to the settlement being made public if Buzbee was looking for it - but Buzbee gave them an out by being the first one to raise an NDA.

Rumours are the it will cost a minimum of $100K per plaintiff and Watson's legal team are still haggling over the price.

As for Paton being in on all trades - this is one he most definitely should not have anything to do with. As I said before - give me 15 years of Kendall Hilton at QB before I want to see Watson pull on a Broncos jersey.

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

These discussions have been going on since the draft - that is why there was silence up until Buzbee came out this week and said there would be no settlement. This was clearly a shot across the bows of Hardin and the rest of Watson's legal team. Hardin then hit back by claiming that he was demanding that the any settlement agreement would be made public - only to later agree to Buzbee's request that the settlement be kept private. This was a mechanism for Hardin and Watson to claim that they had nothing to hide and it was the plaintiffs that were hiding stuff. This is likely motivated by an attempt to mitigate the potential suspension from the NFL and to create an acceptable atmosphere for a trade. Let's be clear - there is no way that Hardin and Watson would agree to the settlement being made public if Buzbee was looking for it - but Buzbee gave them an out by being the first one to raise an NDA.

Rumours are the it will cost a minimum of $100K per plaintiff and Watson's legal team are still haggling over the price.

As for Paton being in on all trades - this is one he most definitely should not have anything to do with. As I said before - give me 15 years of Kendall Hilton at QB before I want to see Watson pull on a Broncos jersey.

Wherever he goes it may require a PR wizard. Perhaps they'll put a clause in his contract stating, "masseur only"

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I've also read he may be suspended for all of 2021. Anyway, when all is said and done I think this will have "Michael Vick" type career implications for Watson.

20 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I've also read he may be suspended for all of 2021. Anyway, when all is said and done I think this will have "Michael Vick" type career implications for Watson.

Michael Vick was suspended the day he plead guilty and went to prison.  There's no chance IMO Watson is totally clear of NFL punishment - but this is a civil case.   If a criminal case gets made, then he's going on the Commissioner's restricted list for sure.  And then he's getting NFL punishment only after that criminal case is resolved.  In a criminal case scenario, your projection is definitely in play, and it will likely put the entire 2021 season in limbo, given how long criminal cases take to resolve.

But if it's a civil case with a settlement, then the odds are actually very high that Watson keeps playing in the NFL - and then it's a matter of when the civil case resolves, as to what the NFL does.  Either way, though, this is also not getting resolved until the case outcome is known.    It's definitely a double standard, but if you're a star player, the league is going to go out of their way to let the process play out before handing out any punishment (and truthfully that's the right approach regardless).   

The fact the league hasn't even put Watson on the Commissioner's exempt list, is a sign they are looking to let this play out completely first.    The only exception is when you get something visible - Ezekial Elliott's GF having pics of her bruised arms, Kareem Hunt video, Ray Rice, etc.     We also forget Rice was at the tail end of his career, with signs of decline.   Hunt was put on the Commissioner's list literally within 24 hours of the videos coming out  in 2018 (after the league got killed for how it handled Rice in 2014 & NYG K Josh Brown in 2016).    The fact the NFL hasn't put Watson on the Commissioner's list tips their hand here as far as where they're starting from.

In this day & age, it's hard to see Watson avoiding any punishment league-wise.  But the spectrum from getting an Elliott-like penalty (4 games) and being a career-ender like Rice & Vick, is still pretty wide.   Either way, though, I don't see Paton making any kind of move until this is completely resolved from a league perspective. 

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Michael Vick was suspended the day he plead guilty and went to prison.  There's no chance IMO Watson is totally clear of NFL punishment - but this is a civil case.   If a criminal case gets made, then he's going on the Commissioner's restricted list for sure.  And then he's getting NFL punishment only after that criminal case is resolved.  In a criminal case scenario, your projection is definitely in play, and it will likely put the entire 2021 season in limbo, given how long criminal cases take to resolve.

But if it's a civil case with a settlement, then the odds are actually very high that Watson keeps playing in the NFL - and then it's a matter of when the civil case resolves, as to what the NFL does.  Either way, though, this is also not getting resolved until the case outcome is known.    It's definitely a double standard, but if you're a star player, the league is going to go out of their way to let the process play out before handing out any punishment (and truthfully that's the right approach regardless).   

The fact the league hasn't even put Watson on the Commissioner's exempt list, is a sign they are looking to let this play out completely first.    The only exception is when you get something visible - Ezekial Elliott's GF having pics of her bruised arms, Kareem Hunt video, Ray Rice, etc.     We also forget Rice was at the tail end of his career, with signs of decline.   Hunt was put on the Commissioner's list literally within 24 hours of the videos coming out  in 2018 (after the league got killed for how it handled Rice in 2014 & NYG K Josh Brown in 2016).    The fact the NFL hasn't put Watson on the Commissioner's list tips their hand here as far as where they're starting from.

In this day & age, it's hard to see Watson avoiding any punishment league-wise.  But the spectrum from getting an Elliott-like penalty (4 games) and being a career-ender like Rice & Vick, is still pretty wide.   Either way, though, I don't see Paton making any kind of move until this is completely resolved from a league perspective. 

I guess I was speaking more from a "pariah" aspect than a legal one. The "sexual predator" tag has been put on him and that'll be tough to remove in public opinion.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I guess I was speaking more from a "pariah" aspect than a legal one. The "sexual predator" tag has been put on him and that'll be tough to remove in public opinion.

Wherever he goes he’ll have to register as a sexual predator with the state, public knowledge (not that it wouldn’t anyway)

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Wherever he goes he’ll have to register as a sexual predator with the state, public knowledge (not that it wouldn’t anyway)

That's if there's a criminal conviction.   If it's a settled civil complaint, every state is different, but don't think it's quite that clear (and dismissal/acquittal, obv nothing).    If there's a criminal conviction, there are a lot bigger fish to fry.   

13 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

We’ve gotten away from Football a bit. Stick to the sport please.

Was the purpose of this thread not to separate the Watson stuff from the more general football content?

And no matter how you cut it - the legal issues faced by Watson are football relevant. They impact on if he will play this year and for who.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Was the purpose of this thread not to separate the Watson stuff from the more general football content?

And no matter how you cut it - the legal issues faced by Watson are football relevant. They impact on if he will play this year and for who.

The forum rules require us to stick to how it affects football, him on the field, all things football related... not him registering as a sex offender. The thread is fine as long as the focus is on football.