Bucs extend Donovan Smith two years $31.8 million

Xenos

Had never seen much of him, before last year (when UK TV unaccountably started showing a LOT of Bucs games) but from what fans said I thought he was nothing but a journeyman, replacement level OT. Every game I saw (bar the Chicago one) he played either pretty well, or excellent. Seemed to false start quite a bit, but his blocking was great. Was that a big improvement, or did he not deserve the mediocre reputation?

5 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Had never seen much of him, before last year (when UK TV unaccountably started showing a LOT of Bucs games) but from what fans said I thought he was nothing but a journeyman, replacement level OT. Every game I saw (bar the Chicago one) he played either pretty well, or excellent. Seemed to false start quite a bit, but his blocking was great. Was that a big improvement, or did he not deserve the mediocre reputation?

A Bucs fan could probably offer insight but from my understanding he was a frustrating player. Showing potential and having good games only to be followed by a stretch of average to suspect games. Seems like last year he started out well and continued to grow on it from there.

2 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

A Bucs fan could probably offer insight but from my understanding he was a frustrating player. Showing potential and having good games only to be followed by a stretch of average to suspect games. Seems like last year he started out well and continued to grow on it from there.

he's been average throughout his career except for the latter half of last year where for some reason he turned it on

he's got the talent, it just seems to be motivation as to whether he plays like a stud or not

also gets called for alot of penalties

before last year alot of Bucs fans including myself felt like he could be expendable

the only problem was that its very difficult to find starting caliber LTs

i was very much in favor of moving Wirfs to the LT spot and finding another RT as with letting D Smith go for a cheaper option but then he played lights out last year so i am fine with keeping him there for continuity's sake

if he continues to play at the level of last year, than this contract might be cheap imo

27 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

He’s an average starting LT

He can be a turnstile at times and a unmovable force at times. When he wants to be and turns it one, he's one of the better pass protecting LT's and he showcased that 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs.

Consistency and motivation have always been his biggest hang-ups.