2021 NFL Draft

dll2000

This needs its own thread pre-draft since we actually have a no. 1 pick for first time in 3 years and there is so much to discuss.

A lot of inside baseball is saying 49ers like the Dakota kid - Lance as represented in this mock.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-49ers-pounce-on-trey-lance-at-no-3

If Fields falls to QB4 I think that is a meatball Pace will bite on, but he will have stiff competition and I think bidding will start at two no. 1s.

I don’t think Pace will go for the small school limited experience kid.   Criticism of that will be fierce even if the kid is a super talent.   While SF will be given benefit of doubt on same kid.  I have no opinion on him at this time. 

The Ohio State kid with a body of work and plus athleticism and arm though ... another story IMO.

If Atl wants a QB it is over obviously.

• Like 1

Let me also say that Detroit and NYG have been morons not to take advantage of early draft slots and force QB wanting teams to trade with them.

Taking a non-QB or not trading with someone who wants a QB in first 3 picks of draft is just moronic at this time.

No position player is worth standing pat and taking the selection.  None.  

If you have to pick QB they want yourself and force the trade.

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If the Falcons don't want a QB, then they're probably going all in on a "one last shot with Ryan" kinda deal--and I think that means they don't trade, and take Pitts, Smith, Chase or Sewell. Which sends that fourth guy down. So...what does Cincinnati do? I think they're probably laser focused on the other guys from that group I listed for Atlanta (who I bet would take Pitts). Would they trade with Carolina, then? I doubt it. I betcha Miami would, though, as that takes the fourth QB off the board, and then they sit back and see who Detroit takes, settles for who is left, and enjoys even more picks from the Panthers. (And that is all from Laremy Tunsil's bong mask video, and Bill O'Brien's ineptitude...which absolutely nuts when you think about it.) 

What happens then? Detroit won't be trading with the Bears. Miami wouldn't trade down again. Denver would probably be more than happy to take Slater, or whoever they view as the best defender. Would the Cowboys or the Giants be open to trading with the Bears? I think they probably would be. From a Bears point of view, that's a far more reasonable trade to make. Of course, it would potentially be for Jones...and that would all depend on how strongly they feel about him. They might want to wait and see if he falls past the Eagles and Patriots, which is a possibility. Also possible--the Bears may not want to trade up at all.

There are also those in the football media who are convinced that the Jets will not take a quarterback. I think all of those folks have Sewell mocked to them, which is ridiculous, but I could see them going for Chase or Smith. Or...they could trade with Carolina. If they did, might they be open to trading down again, with the Bears? Maybe. The Bears could possibly get Fields at #8. 

I'll be back. Need some Tylenol. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This needs its own thread pre-draft since we actually have a no. 1 pick for first time in 3 years and there is so much to discuss.

A lot of inside baseball is saying 49ers like the Dakota kid - Lance as represented in this mock.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/four-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-49ers-pounce-on-trey-lance-at-no-3

If Fields falls to QB4 I think that is a meatball Pace will bite on, but he will have stiff competition and I think bidding will start at two no. 1s.

I don’t think Pace will go for the small school limited experience kid.   Criticism of that will be fierce even if the kid is a super talent.   While SF will be given benefit of doubt on same kid.  I have no opinion on him at this time. 

The Ohio State kid with a body of work and plus athleticism and arm though ... another story IMO.

I don't think it's realistic for the Bears to get into the top 10.

I am interested in the scenario laid out in this mock draft where the Bears trade up for Mac Jones. Would you all give up a 2022 1st and this year's 3rd for him?

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't think it's realistic for the Bears to get into the top 10.

I am interested in the scenario laid out in this mock draft where the Bears trade up for Mac Jones. Would you all give up a 2022 1st and this year's 3rd for him?

Well, in the mock, they do trade up to #11 though, right? About the price...that's a tough one, but you really would have to worry about him going to the Eagles, Patriots, Vikings, or Washington. I mean, if it's possible, I think you almost have to go up and get Mac Jones. 

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, in the mock, they do trade up to #11 though, right?

They trade up to 11. I think trading into the top 10 is made especially tough because both Carolina and Denver are in the hunt for a QB. And I doubt Detroit's new regime wants to hand the Bears its first franchise QB since the 60s. You'd likely have to trade into the top 6, and that would be a steep price to pay.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They trade up to 11. I think trading into the top 10 is made especially tough because both Carolina and Denver are in the hunt for a QB. And I doubt Detroit's new regime wants to hand the Bears its first franchise QB since the 60s. You'd likely have to trade into the top 6, and that would be a steep price to pay.

There's a lot of possibilities, a lot of moving parts. And while the draftniks all seem to think Jones is a perfectly acceptable consolation prize...we don't know how all these various teams have him graded. If it ends up that the draftniks are right, and it comes down to a bunch of teams scrambling for Jones...then the Bears may well be out of the running. If the top four guys end up going in the top four picks, Carolina might get desperate. We could even see a Trubisky-like trade where they swap picks (plus more) with the Lions, move up one spot. 

The unknown is the job security of Pace.

We assumed he is lame duck, but mounting evidence says that may not be true.

I think if he is lame duck the big trade up for a rookie is a throat slit because even Trevor Lawrence probably produces .500 season with Bears without a bit more help via draft or FA.

.500 a job saving season for a lame duck front office and coach?  Not historically.

But if he feels like he isn’t a lame duck than a QB trade up makes a lot of sense and with trades clarifying likely first 3 picks it makes a ton of sense.

The opportunity to get Fields as QB4 I think is worth a trade up gamble for Pace.  He is a plus athlete with high potential who will make some exciting plays even if he losing games.  He provides immediate hope for future.  

Will Mack Jones be better NFL QB?  Highly possible.  Maybe even probable given a strong O line and time in pocket.  He is accurate and throws with anticipation.   But problem is Mack has a dad bod.   It is hard to get excited about him.   But same thing could have been said of Brady.   But Brady is an outlier that can’t be compared.   Like comparing people to Aaron Donald.

I think Pace is trying as we speak to trade up with Atlanta, Bengals, Miami or Detroit.   He has to get in front of Carolina for Fields.   Only thing that guarantees that is trading with Atlanta (assuming 49ers don’t want Fields as is being widely reported).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Pace is trying as we speak to trade up with Atlanta, Bengals, Miami or Detroit.   He has to get in front of Carolina for Fields.   Only thing that guarantees that is trading with Atlanta (assuming 49ers don’t want Fields as is being widely reported).

A lot of what I've been seeing suggests that the 9ers are in love with Lance. Which is weird, as I don't see how, trait-wise, he runs Shanahan's system any better than Fields would. It does explain why Garropolo is still on the team, though. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

A lot of what I've been seeing suggests that the 9ers are in love with Lance. Which is weird, as I don't see how, trait-wise, he runs Shanahan's system any better than Fields would. It does explain why Garropolo is still on the team, though. 

That’s what I meant.  49ers reportedly want Lance. Usually all lies, but Schefter said it and he is guy everyone leaks to.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, dll2000 said:

I've been calling it.  Pace trades up with the Chargers 13th to move ahead of the Patriots and Washington for the 2021 1st, 5th. That's my prediction.  The 12th (49ers) would cost him around a 1st, 5th + a player (Miller would do well in Shanny's offense).  The 11th (Giants), would cost him a 1st and 3rd. 

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've been calling it.  Pace trades up with the Chargers 13th to move ahead of the Patriots and Washington for the 2021 1st, 5th. That's my prediction.  The 12th (49ers) would cost him around a 1st, 5th + a player (Miller would do well in Shanny's offense).  The 11th (Giants), would cost him a 1st and 3rd. 

did...did you miss the massive trade that reverberated across the nfl this weekend?

• Like 1

To my point about DL making LBs (inside) consider Vander Esch.

6'5 like 245 lbs.  Runs like wind.   Completely ineffective with a bad Dallas dline in front of him in 2020.  

Dallas D was awful in 2020.   Awful.

ILBs are really nice if good, and they can really hurt you if bad, but they are least important facet of an effective NFL defense.   Lower levels that isn't true, NFL level it is.

Just now, dll2000 said:

To my point about DL making LBs (inside) consider Vander Esch.

6'5 like 245 lbs.  Runs like wind.   Completely ineffective with a bad Dallas dline in front of him in 2020.  

Dallas D was awful in 2020.   Awful.

ILBs are really nice if good, and they can really hurt you if bad, but they are least important facet of an effective NFL defense.   Lower levels that isn't true, NFL level it is.

As soon as Goldman opted out in 2020 I knew Bears D was in trouble and same when Hicks went down in 2019.