49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh I agree. The roster was the worst in football when they took over in 2017 and now they have one of the best rosters in the league. But things can sour quick, especially if they keep losing. Injuries have been brutal but they will have to start winning more soon. 

It's funny, because while on the surface they've done a fantastic job of rebuilding, they also got Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster with both 1sts in the same draft in 2017, but they also got Kittle in the 5th, as well as 3 future picks (2, 3, 4) so that's a draft that is disappointing but you live with.

They also did well in 2018 with McGlinchey, 2019 with Deebo and Bosa they killed it, and via the draft and free agency helped to develop a very good LB corps and secondary, to go with a loaded Front 4 from these drafts and previous years.

That said, Lynch has really made some major whiffs, but the D2/D3 picks in those drafts he's almost made up for it.

This trade will be a HUGE factor in his future/legacy and how he's perceived.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

It's funny, because while on the surface they've done a fantastic job of rebuilding, they also got Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster with both 1sts in the same draft in 2017, but they also got Kittle in the 5th, as well as 3 future picks (2, 3, 4) so that's a draft that is disappointing but you live with.

They also did well in 2018 with McGlinchey, 2019 with Deebo and Bosa they killed it, and via the draft and free agency helped to develop a very good LB corps and secondary, to go with a loaded Front 4 from these drafts and previous years.

That said, Lynch has really made some major whiffs, but the D2/D3 picks in those drafts he's almost made up for it.

This trade will be a HUGE factor in his future/legacy and how he's perceived.

Yeah, they have missed on some picks like the two first rounders in 2017 and then Pettis in particular, but they have made up for it by getting elite players in the mid to late rounds such as Warner and Kittle. The roster is really loaded and that kind of puts them in a tough situation for next season. You seem to have an improved OL, have very weapons and good backs, have a deep DL, one of the best LB duos and a solid secondary. Team is built to win NOW, so can you really risk it with a rookie QB? If Jimmy wants out then you really can't do anything but really seems like Shanahan wants to have his cake and eat it too lol. He badly wants a young stud QB but at the same time wants Jimmy for next season since he thinks the team can win. At the very least, if you keep Jimmy, at least you have a better back up QB situation than we have had in the past...That has cost the team dearly. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, they have missed on some picks like the two first rounders in 2017 and then Pettis in particular, but they have made up for it by getting elite players in the mid to late rounds such as Warner and Kittle. The roster is really loaded and that kind of puts them in a tough situation for next season. You seem to have an improved OL, have very weapons and good backs, have a deep DL, one of the best LB duos and a solid secondary. Team is built to win NOW, so can you really risk it with a rookie QB? If Jimmy wants out then you really can't do anything but really seems like Shanahan wants to have his cake and eat it too lol. He badly wants a young stud QB but at the same time wants Jimmy for next season since he thinks the team can win. At the very least, if you keep Jimmy, at least you have a better back up QB situation than we have had in the past...That has cost the team dearly. 

Given the win now mode, that Jimmy is familiar with the system and proven to help win games (despite being overpaid, he's still not terrible...he's more capable than many give him credit for), and that whoever you're drafting will need a bit of time to refine their game (especially coming off of a Covid season), it makes sense IMO to keep Jimmy G this year and start him, while understanding that it's likely he gets hurt at some point, and the next rookie then vaults you into "win now" mode for an extended period of time (rookie QB contract).

Just my opinion. I like this trade for them if they get the pick right.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Given the win now mode, that Jimmy is familiar with the system and proven to help win games (despite being overpaid, he's still not terrible...he's more capable than many give him credit for), and that whoever you're drafting will need a bit of time to refine their game (especially coming off of a Covid season), it makes sense IMO to keep Jimmy G this year and start him, while understanding that it's likely he gets hurt at some point, and the next rookie then vaults you into "win now" mode for an extended period of time (rookie QB contract).

Just my opinion. I like this trade for them if they get the pick right.

Yeah, that's the ideal scenario right there. And if Jimmy gets hurt as has been the case the last two of three seasons? Then you go with the rookie and see what happens. 

Good point on having another shortened offseason due to Covid. For some rookie QBs they can still be successful like we saw last season, but none of those QBs had a team that was this talented and ready to win...Aside from maybe the Chargers, but injuries killed them before they even had a chance.

The Niners SHOULD draft Fields. Two points I want to point out.

1) We know Kyle is a QB guru. QBs in his system plays well. We dont know how good Kyle is at picking QBs though. The Niners passed on both Watson and Mahomes in the draft and took Thomas who hasnt lived up to the hype. The thought was the Niners was going to go after Cousins in FA and when that didnt happen they traded for Jimmy G. Cousins didnt change life for the Vikings and while Jimmy G did help lead the Niners to the Superbowl, when it was crunch time and they asked him to make the plays to bring the championship home he couldnt. Plus he cant stay healthy outside of that one season where you can say maybe the Niners caught lightening in a bottle. Luck rained down on them heavy that season. In the end Jimmy G truly didnt change life for the Niners. Then last offseason the Niners had a chance to go get Brady but didnt. This offseason they could go after Watson. They had a shot to go heavy after Stafford. I know the Watson situation is complicated and they missed out on Stafford. So its going to be interesting to see which QB Kyle gets because he will essentially have three QBs to choose from and the Niners mortgaged their future so they need to get it right. 

2) The trend is in recent history teams traded in the top 3 to get Goff (Rams), Wentz (Eagles), Trubisky (Bears), and Darnold (Jets) neither has truly worked out in the way that was hoped. Goff and Wentz signed big deals then got traded shortly after. Trubisky didnt even resigned with the Bears and now he is a backup on another team. Darnold is going to get traded soon because the Jets are drafting a QB. So that could be in the Niners future if they dont pick the right one. I think Jones will be a bust. Now again I think he will be good in the Niners system because of Kyle but the question is, will he change the Niners life? We he be worth the price the Niners gave up to get him? I dont think so. Lance I feel can go either way. He can succeed or he can be a bust. I strongly feel Fields will be great. The Niners definitely need to take him because if they do then this trend will stop this draft. I like Fields more than Wilson. 

The overview is Fields should be a no brainer for the Niners. As a Rams fan I personally want the Niners to draft Jones because Im confident he will only be able to do so much and take the team so far and thats it. As a fan of football in general the Niners need to take Fields because if they do the Niners will be very very scary with him for many many years to come with his ability and Kyle offensive mind. 

15 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Niners SHOULD draft Fields. Two points I want to point out.

1) We know Kyle is a QB guru. QBs in his system plays well. We dont know how good Kyle is at picking QBs though. The Niners passed on both Watson and Mahomes in the draft and took Thomas who hasnt lived up to the hype. The thought was the Niners was going to go after Cousins in FA and when that didnt happen they traded for Jimmy G. Cousins didnt change life for the Vikings and while Jimmy G did help lead the Niners to the Superbowl, when it was crunch time and they asked him to make the plays to bring the championship home he couldnt. Plus he cant stay healthy outside of that one season where you can say maybe the Niners caught lightening in a bottle. Luck rained down on them heavy that season. In the end Jimmy G truly didnt change life for the Niners. Then last offseason the Niners had a chance to go get Brady but didnt. This offseason they could go after Watson. They had a shot to go heavy after Stafford. I know the Watson situation is complicated and they missed out on Stafford. So its going to be interesting to see which QB Kyle gets because he will essentially have three QBs to choose from and the Niners mortgaged their future so they need to get it right. 

2) The trend is in recent history teams traded in the top 3 to get Goff (Rams), Wentz (Eagles), Trubisky (Bears), and Darnold (Jets) neither has truly worked out in the way that was hoped. Goff and Wentz signed big deals then got traded shortly after. Trubisky didnt even resigned with the Bears and now he is a backup on another team. Darnold is going to get traded soon because the Jets are drafting a QB. So that could be in the Niners future if they dont pick the right one. I think Jones will be a bust. Now again I think he will be good in the Niners system because of Kyle but the question is, will he change the Niners life? We he be worth the price the Niners gave up to get him? I dont think so. Lance I feel can go either way. He can succeed or he can be a bust. I strongly feel Fields will be great. The Niners definitely need to take him because if they do then this trend will stop this draft. I like Fields more than Wilson. 

The overview is Fields should be a no brainer for the Niners. As a Rams fan I personally want the Niners to draft Jones because Im confident he will only be able to do so much and take the team so far and thats it. As a fan of football in general the Niners need to take Fields because if they do the Niners will be very very scary with him for many many years to come with his ability and Kyle offensive mind. 

I don't know why this gets said so much, but that team was still bottom 5 in terms of injuries for the season. There was no luck rained down on them, they were just that damn good. Blasted through the NFC and then controlled the SB....until they didn't. 

Only thing about that team was that it got healthy for the playoff run but before the injuries hit them, they were like 8-0 or 8-1 and when they got back to being healthy, they did the same thing they did at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

Jones, because the team has the O-Line to protect him and the coaching to exploit his intelligence.  Or Fields.

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

Both.  Absent offers, keep Jimmy G in case QB1 is injured.  It's been known to happen.

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

A water cooler.  

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB?

Only if everyone  stays healthy.

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

Hell, yes.  With Jones or Fields and reasonably good health the 49ers are among three teams fighting it out for the NFC Championship.

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat?

Years or months?

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route?

This was a brilliant trade all around.  Kudoi to all three teams!  (But especially Miami.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know why this gets said so much, but that team was still bottom 5 in terms of injuries for the season. There was no luck rained down on them, they were just that damn good. Blasted through the NFC and then controlled the SB....until they didn't. 

Only thing about that team was that it got healthy for the playoff run but before the injuries hit them, they were like 8-0 or 8-1 and when they got back to being healthy, they did the same thing they did at the start of the season. 

Was Jimmy G healthy during the Niners Superbowl run? Was he injured often every other season? The answer to both questions is yes. I honestly dont think the Niners wouldve traded up to 3 if they could trust Jimmy G to stay healthy. So again it was somewhat luck the Niners was fortunate to have Jimmy G healthy for one season and it wasnt a coincidence they went to the Superbowl. 

• Like 1

We can assume Trevor Lawrence goes #1 but we can't make assumptions about #2 so we need 2 choices here.

• I think their first choice should be Trey Lance and the second choice should be Justin Fields.
  • They will do their homework and have a favorite of the two. They may even fall in love with Zach Wilson.

What they can't do is draft Mac Jones. He is nothing special. He is not NFL level talented to be special.

• He was a guy who did a very good job with the best team around him.
  • His highlight reel is a joke of clean pockets and receiver separation. 
  • You can't find one single high point of his career that can't be matched by another QB on a lesser team. (or previous 'Bama mediocrity QBs)
    • See Indiana vs Ohio State, Clemson vs Notre Dame 1, and Trask vs Georgia. Nothing in those performances that makes him special in those performances compared to those QBs.
  • Mac Jones upside is a clear and obvious downgrade from Garoppolo
    • plus all talk of a QB being pro-ready is always delusion

Tua was different because he has NFL star athleticism. Tua is still unknown but there were reasons to draft him high.

• Like 1

FYI - Jimmy G is a 98.9 rated NFL passer on a mix of good and bad teams.

That would put him 5th all-time if he qualified  (He's at 977 attempts and you qualify at 1500)

If you are worried about his durability or salary, that's fine.

If you have sad feelings because he missed the biggest throw of his life in that Super Bowl, that is valid.

If you think he's trash, it says more about you than him.

Also, point me to the highlight package where Mac Jones looks better than 2019 Garoppolo in New Orleans, Seattle, and Arizona. 

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Was Jimmy G healthy during the Niners Superbowl run? Was he injured often every other season? The answer to both questions is yes. I honestly dont think the Niners wouldve traded up to 3 if they could trust Jimmy G to stay healthy. So again it was somewhat luck the Niners was fortunate to have Jimmy G healthy for one season and it wasnt a coincidence they went to the Superbowl. 

So your whole premise was that Jimmy stayed healthy and they caught lightning in a bottle all the luck rained down on them? Lol, I mean fair to question Jimmy's durability going forward but that team was stacked all around. They still dealt with more injuries that year than the Rams in any year since McVay has arrived. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

Unless the rookie is complete trash in training camp, start him. I’ve never seen any compelling evidence that QBs need to wait a year. There’s overwhelming evidence that they don’t. Every time a team insists they’re not going to start the rookie, the rookie ends up starting, almost 100%. And I’m a believer that you learn and get better by doing things. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Put it another way.

• Mac Jones on a team like the 2020 Bears goes 5-11.
  • Mac Jones on a team like the 2020 Bucs goes 8-8.
  • Mac Jones on the 2020 Eagles goes 2-14 and maybe sets you up to get a real QB next time.

Agreed.  Mac Jones needs a team with an excellent O-Line and offensive coaching.

- Mac Jones on the 2021 49ers or Patriots goes 15-1 and plays in the Super Bowl.