49ers QB Situation: What Would YOU Do?

J-ALL-DAY

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)?

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

You don't have to answer all these questions, but just curious to hear some outside perspective on things Niners fans have been debating since the trade was made.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

1) Fields

2) Yes, but I don’t expect AS-type mentorship

3) a 3rd or 4th, same return as Smith

4) depends on how good the opposing QB is, I don’t think he wins in a duel between Mahomes or Brady.

5) same answer as above 

6) 3 more years at least to see the young QB through till the end 

7) I like aggressive, it’s how the Chiefs got Mahomes. Really early, though. Might’ve waited  till draft day 

• Like 1

Fields and keep Garoppolo around for a year. Jimmy will eventually get injured, then Fields' career starts

I wouldn't, but my cajones aren't as big - they're clearly sick of Jimmy getting injured and have sought to resolve that immediately. They clearly think they're right there, if they could just get a full season in with their starting QB

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

1. Fields.  Wilson, if something unexpected happens at 2

2. Keep Jimmy

3. Day 2 pick, so part of why I would be keeping him.  I don't think he is returning what I'd want.

4. Yes

5. Not their rookie year, but year 2, yes.

6. 2 is a pretty hot seat.  Still there if said qb is showing growth  Gone at year 3.  That would be 4 straight years without the postseason, and 2 being without their own 1st to get the qb that isn't getting them there.  They're pretty well anchored to the success of the pick.

7. Probably not, but I like that they're trusting themselves, and going for it.  I would've given up the same package for Watson, though.

Not really an outside perspective, but I'm not active in the team forums, so I answered anyway.

Edited by OkeyDoke21

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)? Fields unless Wilson is on the board.

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one? I'd keep him for 1 more year as the starter.

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo? 5th round pick

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? Yes I do.

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs?

Not this year but after some development, yes.

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? .

7. Would you have made the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? 

That's a complex question. I would not have made this trade for Mac Jones. But for Fields or even Lance, I like the boldness of the trade.

Edited by wwhickok
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So obviously last Friday the 49ers shook up the draft and NFL world by trading two future first rounders to get to #3 to draft one of the top QBs. Some questions:

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo?

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB? 

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 

You don't have to answer all these questions, but just curious to hear some outside perspective on things Niners fans have been debating since the trade was made.

1. Not Jones
2. No
3. I would give up a 4th round pick for Garroppolo, no more.
4. No
5. Not this year, but in a couple years, yes.
6. 2
7. It was a steep price to be paid. I'm gonna LMAO if they made that move for Mac Jones. I can understand moving up for Fields, maybe Lance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Fields and keep Garoppolo around for a year. Jimmy will eventually get injured, then Fields' career starts

I wouldn't, but my cajones aren't as big - they're clearly sick of Jimmy getting injured and have sought to resolve that immediately. They clearly think they're right there, if they could just get a full season in with their starting QB

That's the thing, while Jimmy I'm sure doesn't always make Shanny happy, he still wins at a very high clip but is hurt far too often. Shanny is probably scared for life after having to watch Mullens/Beathard play the last two of the three years lol.

The roster is pretty damn stacked and they probably feel with Jimmy, they can make another run at a SB. Obviously that comes down to his health but that's probably why they keep him for another season and just groom the rookie before he takes over in 2022. The question is, what happens if Jimmy doesn't want to stay for a lame duck season and prefers to get moved NOW? 

• Like 1

1. Which of the three QBs would you take at #3 (Jones/Fields/Lance)? They're all a step(s) below the top 2 so you really want the guy with the upside. I saw a comparison of Fields being a hybrid of Dak and Mariota. I'd take that if I were the 49ers

2. Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one? Yes, cant hurt in the building IMO and gives Fields some time to refine his tools before playing. 

3. What is the least amount of compensation it would take for you to trade Garoppolo? With a re-worked contract to a team of his choosing I'd want a 2nd. 

4. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with Garoppolo at QB?  Every team has a chance

5. Do you think the Niners have a realistic chance to win it all with one of the rookie QBs? Every team has a chance

6. If the team starts the rookie QB from day one, how many years can this regime miss the playoffs before they are on the hot seat? 2 seasons. 

7. Would you have the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? I would have made the trade if I felt strongly enough about one of the kids. Personally I would have only done it for Lawrence and Wilson in this draft however. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lance, Fields. Not a Jones fan.

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would you keep Garoppolo for one more year (ala Chiefs with Smith) or go with the rookie from day one?

Garropolo is starter if Lance is the pick. Garropolo competes with Fields (or Jones, I guess).

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Two 2nds or a 2nd/3rd (depending on the team).

51 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No to both. Not this season. NFC runs through TB and TB, San Francisco would have a difficult time beating them in a playoff situation.

52 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Two (three if one is a 10-6 situation, a la Miami last season).

19 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

7. Would you have the trade Shanahan/Lynch made or gone another route? I would have made the trade if I felt strongly enough about one of the kids. Personally I would have only done it for Lawrence and Wilson in this draft however. 

I would have pushed for Watson. #12 + future FRPs in 2022/2023 seems like a reasonable price now, given the current situation (maybe even an overpayment).

Watson would return and play at an incredibly high level for SF - higher than anyone else listed for the next 2-4 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would have pushed for Watson. #12 + future FRPs in 2022/2023 seems like a reasonable price now, given the current situation (maybe even an overpayment).

Watson would return and play at an incredibly high level for SF - higher than anyone else listed for the next 2-4 years.

Yeah I'd do it for Watson as well but the allegations have hurt that potential at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Lance, Fields. Not a Jones fan.

Garropolo is starter if Lance is the pick. Garropolo competes with Fields (or Jones, I guess).

Two 2nds or a 2nd/3rd (depending on the team).

No to both. Not this season. NFC runs through TB and TB, San Francisco would have a difficult time beating them in a playoff situation.

Two (three if one is a 10-6 situation, a la Miami last season).

I mean Shanahan mentioned they looked into Watson but obviously you can't trade for him right now. That would have definitely been option #1. 

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

1. Fields

2. Lance (not a fan because of how raw he is, but the traits are there)

...Mac Jones. I think he's a very mediocre at best prospect.

I'd keep Jimmy G. Justin and Lantz both need some time to refine their games.

Multiple D3 picks with at least 1 of them being a 3rd Rounder

Absolutely if everyone stays healthy. They were within about 5 minutes of doing so 2 years ago...but it would take a dominant defensive team, and replicating that kind of success without the offensive portion is very difficult.

This year...probably not. 2022 and beyond, absolutely.

2-3, depending upon how much success/progression that rookie QB has. For example, if he is a stud and you have some sort of .500 team or so and a bunch of injuries, then you'll likely get a 3rd/4th year, but after that, you're in trouble.

I don't fault them for making it since they need a Franchise QB, but trading up to 3 they had better love 2 of those guys (Lawrence is already off the board), otherwise you run the risk of someone trading up to #2 in front of you and getting your guy or the NYJ drafting him instead.

• Like 1

I think you gotta move Jimmy G now - or rather, they probably needed to move Jimmy G a month ago before everyone's cap space dried up. The game has changed - there's no longer as much of a learning curve for QB's coming out of college that they need to sit for a year or two. I remember when Lamar Jackson was drafted by the Ravens, everyone said, "oh that's a great spot for him because he can just sit behind Flacco for 2 years and learn because he's such a project." And then he started as a rookie and learned on the job while getting us to the playoffs. Even though he wasn't a finished product, that rookie experience was hugely important for his development and helped provide a springboard for him winning an MVP in his first full year starting the next year. Similar story with Josh Allen, he didn't really hit elite status till Year 3 but the fact that by Year 3 he already had a lot of experience under his belt starting from his rookie year probably helped him get where he needed to be rather than just sitting on the bench. Both of those guys were considered the obvious 'need to sit for a while' developmental/raw prospects but played and grew as rookies. Similar story was told about Justin Herbert and then he broke every rookie passing record. QB's are better and defenses are worse now, the top QB's are coming into the league ready to contribute. 

If you're trading up to #3 for a QB then the only real reason you might need to sit him is if you're afraid the infrastructure around him is so shoddy that it's just going to ruin his confidence/development ala Sam Darnold, but that's clearly not the case with the Niners. If you think Justin Fields is worth trading up to #3 for, then odds are he's also probably a better option in 2021 compared to Jimmy G too, and the experience he'll gain from playing as a rookie is far more invaluable than sitting him for a lame duck QB. 

If the Niners do truly think that Jimmy G is a Super Bowl-caliber QB but they're just worried about his health, then this was just a weird deal to make to begin with, because there are cheaper ways to fortify your backup QB position than trading the farm for the #3 pick. But I think Shanahan knows there's a level that Jimmy G can't unlock and that's why they're moving on. Better to rip off the band-aid now rather than wait a year and put your franchise QB behind the curve developmentally for 2022. 

• Like 3

1) Take Justin Fields

Lance played level of competition and inexperience does not justify a top 3 selection. Give me the guy who gutted it out against a Nick Saban defense wnd has PROVEN to make NFL throws while being hit.

Play Jimmy out the entire year to improve his trade stock. I’d take a third round selection and throw in conditional that can go up to a second or first based on performance.

No you cannot win it all with Jimmy G at QB. We seen him miss crucial throws when the game got tight in the big game. With Fields at least he adds another element to your offense, very mobile with his legs teams have to account for. And I can see them winning a SB with Fields by year 2-3 with that defense and run game.

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's the thing, while Jimmy I'm sure doesn't always make Shanny happy, he still wins at a very high clip but is hurt far too often. Shanny is probably scared for life after having to watch Mullens/Beathard play the last two of the three years lol.

The roster is pretty damn stacked and they probably feel with Jimmy, they can make another run at a SB. Obviously that comes down to his health but that's probably why they keep him for another season and just groom the rookie before he takes over in 2022. The question is, what happens if Jimmy doesn't want to stay for a lame duck season and prefers to get moved NOW? 

Well, he holds a bit of leverage but if he wants to go or does go, this is why you've picked your QB at 3. It's his time. It's a less ideal situation than having both, but you roll with Fields/Lance. Might take an extra year but you're stacked as you say

My only issue as a fan would be 'superbowl now!' pressure. Similar, probably, to what LAR have been feeling. It is a lot of pressure knowing you've given up future prime capital to win now with a good roster that won't always be there. But, enjoy the ride. SF are a damned good team about to get better

Edited by Hunter2_1