FFMD II 2021 - Detroit Lions War Room (Part 2)

TL-TwoWinsAway

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You did a great job contributing this year... were a big help.

Absolutely as you did and all the fellas. Was fun the entire time!! Well maybe not the okudah trade. But it was so cool on here like a fake version. Just to ban together. Kinda a weird life lesson lollllll. But it was real y’all!! Sorry if I’ve ever disrespected in the past hopefully only to a good future and can’t wait until the draft!!!!!

• Like 2

My 15 man big board...

Rank-Player-Position-College-Code #

1. Marlon Williams WR UCF (55)-- drafted

2. Victor Dimukeje EDGE Duke (62)-- drafted

3. Tariq Thompson S SDSU (78)

4. Bryce Thompson CB Tennessee (110)

5. Pooka Williams RB Kansas (120)-- drafted

6. KJ Britt LB Auburn (193)

7. TJ Vasher WR Texas Tech (255)-- drafted

8. Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee (121)

9. Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern (160)

10. Darrick Forrest S Cincinnati (72)

11. Austin Watkins WR UAB (77)-- drafted

12. Sam Ehlinger QB Texas (250)-- drafted

13. Jonathan Cooper Edge Ohio State (67)

14. Dazz Newsome WR UNC (75)-- drafted

15. Dez Fitzpatrick WR Louisville (128)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

My 15 man big board...

Rank-Player-Position-College-Code #

1. Marlon Williams WR UCF (55)-- drafted

2. Victor Dimukeje EDGE Duke (62)-- drafted

3. Tariq Thompson S SDSU (78)

4. Bryce Thompson CB Tennessee (110)

5. Pooka Williams RB Kansas (120)-- drafted

6. KJ Britt LB Auburn (193)

7. TJ Vasher WR Texas Tech (255)-- drafted

8. Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee (121)

9. Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern (160)

10. Darrick Forrest S Cincinnati (72) <<< He has been the guy I talked about the most. Jordan Fuller-esque IMO

11. Austin Watkins WR UAB (77)-- drafted

12. Sam Ehlinger QB Texas (250)-- drafted

13. Jonathan Cooper Edge Ohio State (67)

14. Dazz Newsome WR UNC (75)-- drafted

15. Dez Fitzpatrick WR Louisville (128)

Forrest was my sleeper pick a while ago but after we drafted the guy out of USC and we signed the other one in FA (my mind is not working right now) I didn't want to go back to the safety well again. 

I viewed our needs as LB, WR, CB and just tried to focus on those groupings. I also had a big family event going on so I couldn't spend time working through my worksheets. Louis did a great job with his BB. 

• Like 1

Great job guys that’s a really solid draft.  A little hard to keep the whole Okudah fiasco in perspective.  Assets were gained so the “draft” looks better on paper but that’s a huge loss that’s really only one mans fault.  Non the less you guys did a great job deep scouting and putting together a great draft overall.  Sorry I didn’t contribute more a) I’ve been pretty busy which is why I didn’t try to sign up for the GM spot b) I couldn’t get access to the google spread sheet which kind of made me lose interest.  Glad to see the Lions forum still held it down with a repeat of the best overall group performance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

Great job guys that’s a really solid draft.  A little hard to keep the whole Okudah fiasco in perspective.  Assets were gained so the “draft” looks better on paper but that’s a huge loss that’s really only one mans fault.  Non the less you guys did a great job deep scouting and putting together a great draft overall.  Sorry I didn’t contribute more a) I’ve been pretty busy which is why I didn’t try to sign up for the GM spot b) I couldn’t get access to the google spread sheet which kind of made me lose interest.  Glad to see the Lions forum still held it down with a repeat of the best overall group performance.

Thanks man! Sorry about the spreadsheet access... wish you would've had it. It certainly evolved over the days.

Detroit Lions Draft

Pick 1.7 (#7) - Penei Sewell, 6'6" 331lbs OT, Oregon- BPA at #7.  Lions bolster their OL with a generational OT.  Not sure what else needs to be said here. 

jim_mora_on_penei_sewell-60710ea348e3285

Pick 2.9 (#41) - Asante Samuel Jr., 5'10" 183lbs CB, Florida State- Samuel has high upside. Aubrey Pleasant will have fun coaching up Samuel and Oruwariye in the secondary after our former GM traded away last years #3 overall pick. A little on the smaller side, but outstanding instincts and a true playmaker. 

4abf21bd85cf9d5ae050fed0244e3a17_crop_ex

Pick 2.11 (#43) - Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr., 6'5" 285lbs DE, Wake Forest- Lions have not had a true pass rush since they broke up that 2014 defense. Adding Basham to the Okwara brothers and Trey Flowers will give the Lions solid depth. Could be a starter in a year or two. 

Carlos-Basham.jpg

Pick 3.38 (#101) - D'Wayne Eskridge, 5'9" 190lbs WR, Western Michigan- If there is one thing the Lions made clear this offseason is that they want speed in their receiver group. Eskridge is a big play threat every time he touches the ball and will open up the field for the Lions. 

dwayne-eskridge-nfl-draft-player-profile

Pick 4.7 (#113) - Kellen Mond, 6'3" 217lbs QB, Texas A&M- Kellen Mond is an experienced starter. For a Detroit team that has Jared Goff for at least 1 to 2 years, Kellen Mond will be an intriguing backup QB. 

GettyImages-1289609986.jpg

Pick 5.32 (#177) - Talanoa Hufanga, 6'1" 190lbs S, USC- A guy who likes to bite kneecaps. He's a versatile defender who has a high football IQ and great instincts. He immediately upgrades a very poor safety unit for the Lions. 

usatsi_15308912.jpg

Pick 6.33 (#217) - Darius Stills, 6'1" 284lbs DT, West Virginia- Explosive pass rushing DT who broke out after moving away from being a NT in a 3-3-5 defense that didn't suit his skillset. Biggest weakness is being stood up by stronger OL. Will do well going against Ragnow/Jackson/Sewell in practice. Getting him late in the 6th round is a great get for the Lions. 

5fd54a82b18d1.image.jpg?resize=1396,1425

Pick 7.8 (#236 - 1.8) - Marlon Williams, 6'0" 215lbs WR, Central Florida- Most people expect the Lions to reach for a receiver early since they are not bringing back their top 3 WRs from last season.  But they added speed at the position this offseason and this is a deep WR class as we see with Williams in the 7th. He's mostly an oversized slot receiver who needs to expand his route tree. But he is a kneecap biter that fights for every yard. He will add power to an overhauled unit. 

wrwatch.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Looks like there might be a UDFA to this thing after all. 

@Karnage84 @NFL_Fan @BigC421/ @winitall @Sllim Pickens

Uh oh. Not only is there a UDFA period, it starts in one hour.

"UDFA will take place on 4/13.

Each team can claim 1 player per hour and claim up to 8 players total starting at 10am.

Please post.

Team name, player full name and position.

UDFA is first come first serve."

I'm going to go back to our sleeper picks and see who earned a lot of votes and is still available. If you have any preferences, please let me know.