Jets trade QB Sam Darnold to Carolina

NewAge

On 4/8/2021 at 8:10 PM, xrade said:

And this is one reason I have faith in JD. He put a lot of consideration into this affair. Will it be the correct move, who knows, but it will not be for lack of thought. I expect this process happens in all the moves he makes. Certainly some moves are made with more care, but there is thought involved. I don’t understand all the OG moves he made but my faith in JD leads me to be believe he has a plan that we don’t fully know just yet.

Now we just have to wait and see if it is the right plan. 

OK they are my exact thoughts also.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:25 PM, drew39k said:

You wouldn't be picking up Sam option here. Rather Sam would be signing a lower cost bridge deal to buy out the option year and a FA year or two. Likely around 10-12 million per year.  So he contract would be affordable 

there is no way that Sam or his agent would have ever done that.  Sam and his agent: No 5thyear option?  We'll take our chances as UFA thank you very much.  As terrible as Darnold has been, he would get more as UFA than any "bridge deal" with the Jets.  Unrealistic.  

4 hours ago, dcat said:

there is no way that Sam or his agent would have ever done that.  Sam and his agent: No 5thyear option?  We'll take our chances as UFA thank you very much.  As terrible as Darnold has been, he would get more as UFA than any "bridge deal" with the Jets.  Unrealistic.  

There would be a good chance he won't get the Mariota contract. 

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Interesting.   Jets rejected 1st round pick offer from 49ers for Darnold before they met with Zach Wilson regarding shoulder situation.

Cant blame JD there. If he wasn't sure if he wanted a QB in the draft yet... cant pull the trigger on a deal until he's decided that. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Cant blame JD there. If he wasn't sure if he wanted a QB in the draft yet... cant pull the trigger on a deal until he's decided that. 

They were there on Wilson's pro day when 49ers made trade with Dolphins and Jets traded away Darnold in few days later.  49ers lacked of patience?

Just now, JetsandI said:

They were there on Wilson's pro day when 49ers made trade with Dolphins and Jets traded away Darnold in few days later.  49ers lacked of patience?

JD said that if they didn't weren't drafting in the top 2... Darnold would be the Jets QB. So he didn't decide on if he wanted to draft a QB until when we traded Darnold (or a few days before).

For me that's just being thorough. And I like that. As someone who thinks Darnold want the problem. I'm happy to see that JD just didn't think he was the issue. To where he wanted to get rid of him pretty much regardless. He just saw something in Wilson (we assume) that was worth making that trade. Have to trust him that he still builds around Wilson. I'd assume he will do this if he was thinking of keeping Darnold. Bc he said in his interviews.... that they couldn't do enough around him fats enough. So he knows what's around a QB needs to be better here.

48 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Interesting.   Jets rejected 1st round pick offer from 49ers for Darnold before they met with Zach Wilson regarding shoulder situation.

Is that really true?  I have heard that and I have also heard it was BS. If there is a definitive report and not just hearsay, I’d like to see it. 

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

Is that really true?  I have heard that and I have also heard it was BS. If there is a definitive report and not just hearsay, I’d like to see it. 

This is hard to believe no way Douglas would pass up a first round pick for Darnold, only a fool would reject that offer, He still had a shot for Wilson or Fields. I can't stand this pre draft BS. I agree with xrade, i want to see the proof of this crazy story. We still have 12  full days before the draft I wonder how many more of these insane stories before the draft will pop up on the internet?

On 4/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, Greene N White said:

Yeah all these hypothetical situations more often than not keeping Sam is better but you’re forgetting to add 1 key bit of information. Sam darnold is not a good quarterback

Most of those "options" ignore just how awful Darnold is. I get that some people believe he is salvageable. I Don't. I understand that this must be painful for you.  Think of it this way.  Darnold's ceiling is to be a .500 starter for a couple of years followed by "good guy" career back up.  It's just not worth exercising and paying that 5th year option and not worth the pain of wasting another season on him.  

On 4/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Fort4242 said:

Someone posted an article in the draft thread about the Wide Zone scheme we're expected to run on offense.  All of the 49ers starting iOL players were late picks or un-drafted, and the OTs were drafted high.  Obviously JD didn't know we would be running this offense last season, but perhaps that's the reason for lack of investment in the iOL this year.  

And if that's the case, don't be upset if we don't take iOL early.  I want one like the rest of us, but JD might think spending high on CB is a better bet since the offensive scheme doesn't seem to require elite players on the interior.  Or he might be more inclined to spend the higher picks on a tackle.

For example I could see CB, EDGE, OT or WR being the picks at 23 and 34.  G/C get attention round 3 or later.  

the 2021 draft is rich...  extremely so... in IOL and not too shabby either in depth at OT.  Great draft for OL coming.  Lots of deep talent.  

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

that article/tweet is crap.  49er fans say the author is always making stuff up.  Just ask them.  Beleiving Cecil Lammey is as reliable as trusting Craig Carton.  The greater likelihood if any of this is true, is that it was a swap of #23 and Sam (+ other picks too)  for #12.  And perhaps the Jets were to throw in more.  It's easy for any irresponsible schmuck on Twitter to say the jets were offered a first round pick for Darnold.  

Edited by dcat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Long term I sure as heck hope Wilson > Darnold.

But odds are Darnold has a better year this year than Wilson. So be ready for that to be thrown at us fans

I don’t understand how or why that’s true. Even still there will be an I told you so from both sides no matter the outcome. This fan base has both issues with moving on and PTSD so no one will ever really be happy. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 1