Raiders sign Karl Joseph

Nightmare

17 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

If anything KJ gives the Raiders some flexibility in the draft. Now they can wait a little instead of having to draft one in the first or second round. 

i dont believe thats the case. even though I preferred Hooker/Boston to Joseph... if we had signed one of those, I still think the prudent move would be to draft a free safety by the end of day 2. just because we signed a JAG to nominally be the starter (we still dont even know if the plan is to actually have him play FS, and based on his comments thats suspect at best), doesnt mean you dont have to address it, any more than signing Agholor last year didnt mean that we didnt have to attack WR in the 2020 draft

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i dont believe thats the case. even though I preferred Hooker/Boston to Joseph... if we had signed one of those, I still think the prudent move would be to draft a free safety by the end of day 2. just because we signed a JAG to nominally be the starter (we still dont even know if the plan is to actually have him play FS, and based on his comments thats suspect at best), doesnt mean you dont have to address it, any more than signing Agholor last year didnt mean that we didnt have to attack WR in the 2020 draft

Simple terms it allows the Raiders to be less desperate

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

In the same way that Erik Harris allowed us to be less desperate in the draft last year.

Well D.Randall was expected to start and that didn't work out like we all know. Harris was depth that got pushed into starting when Randall couldn't even practice.

7 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Well D.Randall was expected to start and that didn't work out like we all know. Harris was depth that got pushed into starting when Randall couldn't even practice.

Grudock's lack of interest in adding a good FS is strange. 

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

bUt He HaD tO cOvEr TiGhTeNdS aNd WaS a FS iN cOlLeGe.

We all know In gunthers Defense the free safety is interchangeable with the strong safety so it’s not saying much. 

in Cleveland it doesn’t matter because he lost his job to Ronnie Johnson a strong safety implying that he was brought in to be a strong safety in Cleveland 

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

That’s real

• Like 1

I really like the Joseph signing... but it should only be a depth addition, as well as boost STs so scrubs like Leavitt never make a roster again.  Joseph can be the backup FS and SS and even be used in 3 Safety packages.

... but Karl Joseph IMO will be a slight to moderate liability in coverage as a single High FS. His run defense coming down hilI will certainly be a big asset and highlight clip waiting to happen.  Giving him space to build up speed before exploding into the all carrier/receiver is scary.

but in terms of coverage... I’ve always thought his biggest problem was his hips and change of direction skills.  Moving forward their pretty good albeit not great given his size but in his backpedal he struggles. Maybe Milus can improve his technique slightly but I wouldn’t count on any big improvements.  Players that age don’t magically improve drastically.  

The transition from breaking out of the back pedal to those first few steps is where he struggles the most.  He just isn’t good flipping his hips fluidity and totally changing direction. 

I think he could play 2 High FS at a high level.  He’s got decent range but not opposite hash to sideline range.  Also in 2 High the cuts and COD movements are less severe.  

But this is still a very good move! Now we’re not desperate at FS.  We can chance trading back from 17 and missing out on Moehrig, we can go RT in round 1 and FS (Richie Grant) in round 2, heck even if we miss out on Grant in round 2 we can take a guy like Andre Cisco in round 3/4.  

This move really opens up our options. Now we should do the same thing with RT and sign Dennis Kelly to be the RT until our 1-3 round draft pick RT moves him to swing tackle.  If you can add a guy like Kelly (or ideally Mitchell Schwartz) you can even go LB or CB in round 1 (Parsons / Farley... if they slip) and then RT+FS in rounds 2-3.

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Grudock's lack of interest in adding a good FS is strange. 

Maybe he’s planning on drafting one.  To be honest there were no great fits in FA.  JJ3 isn’t a single high FS and Hooker had a crazy injury history and might not be 100%.  I fully understand waiting til the draft to get a long term FS that you think you can build the defense around.

Now if we end up waiting til rounds 4 or 5, heck even round 3, then absolutely yes it becomes alarming.

15 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

We all know In gunthers Defense the free safety is interchangeable with the strong safety so it’s not saying much. 

in Cleveland it doesn’t matter because he lost his job to Ronnie Johnson a strong safety implying that he was brought in to be a strong safety in Cleveland 

Was Guenther the only DC he played for here?