Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

@ET80 threads like this are why I'm going to continue to post my NFL General topics on random glue guy Patriots belonging in the Hall of Fame. @Forge you too. 

If I could lock here, I'd lock.

Keep in mind how we generally look at the OP. Do you want to be THAT guy?

(Yes, I am totally bagging on you @NeptunePenguins. Not every idea needs to be shared. Let this shaming be a lesson).

I think it's Calvin even with Edelman having 3 Rings, but I could see the argument being made for the other side.  It's a matter of do you want to be known as arguably the best player at your position while you played, or that you were an pretty good player but in an amazing situation.  Considering even the players at the end of the roster might've gotten multiple rings playing on the Patriots roster it doesn't seem to be nearly as impressive.  Now if instead you were one of the driving factors for those rings, such as Brady and Belicheck, then that's different.  I mean if Calvin had instead of sticking with Detroit left and got say Rivers and the Chargers over the hump, that would be even more impressive with just 1 ring even if Edelman had acquired 6.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If I could lock here, I'd lock.

GIF by Giphy QA

Keep in mind how we generally look at the OP. Do you want to be THAT guy?

If you think that somehow publicly shaming me will work, I'd like to point out that I was an outspoken Browns fan here and willing to admit to such during my entire tenure circa 2005-Present.

(Yes, I am totally bagging on you @NeptunePenguins. Not every idea needs to be shared. Let this shaming be a lesson).

Yeah, this is brutal. Let's compare Tim Brown, T.O, Cris Carter, Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, and guys like that to Troy Brown next.  

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I had the same knee jerk reaction, but before everyone grabs their knives and pitchforks the question isn’t who is the better player, that is not really debatable.

I myself would rather have the career where I am on a perennial play off team and a 3 time Super Bowl winner and a Super Bowl MVP, as opposed to a career that I am a dominate player setting nfl records a pro bowl lock but only see the playoffs twice and I retire early out of frustration. 

This is where I'm at.

Johnson was obviously better, but he was stuck in irrelevance in Detroit missing the playoffs basically every year and never even tasted a playoff victory.

I would rather be an integral part of a dynasty who made Super Bowl highlight plays that will be played on NFL films for generations.

3 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I had the same knee jerk reaction, but before everyone grabs their knives and pitchforks the question isn’t who is the better player, that is not really debatable.

I myself would rather have the career where I am on a perennial play off team and a 3 time Super Bowl winner and a Super Bowl MVP, as opposed to a career that I am a dominate player setting nfl records a pro bowl lock but only see the playoffs twice and I retire early out of frustration. 

My only take is that "career" can't be defined strictly by SB victories, IMO. There's a lasting legacy that Calvin Johnson will carry (I mean, it's not every day someone calls you Megatron and nobody questions the legitimacy of giving you such a boss nickname). Edelman is a great player, but he's widely considered a cog in a machine. Megatron WAS the machine.

There's also a astronomical financial advantage that Johnson carries over his shorter career (Johnson's 6/$55mm ROOKIE deal is actually $11mm more than Julian Edelman's CAREER earnings of $44mm). This isn't even going into $63mm earned in the four years played into his 7/$113mm contract. Millions might be inconsequential among millionaires (not really, but I'm trying to entertain this line of thinking) but we're talking a major difference in money here.

Are those three SB rings worth $25mm/ring - the difference in earnings?

My response:

Adam Devine No GIF

No GIF

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

(That's one nope gif per ring...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

I would rather be an integral part of a dynasty who made Super Bowl highlight plays that will be played on NFL films for generations.

I'd rather have an extra $75mm in my bank account. But, that's just me...

Dax Shepard Money GIF