Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Well, let's reconcile the equation here. $75mm is IN ADDITION to the $44mm Edelman made (Calvin Johnson made $119mm over the course of his career). 

So... the real math is as follows:

- $44mm, 3 SB rings, 1 SB MVP (Edelman).

- $119mm, 3 All Pro teams, One All Decade team, One Single Season yardage record, One HoF induction, one dope nickname (Megatron).

It's a no brainer to me, I'll take Megatron's career 100 times out of 50. Sure, he didn't win a SB - but let's not try to paint it out like he didn't have an incredibly distinguished career. He broke Jerry Rice' single season yardage record, he's on the 2010 All Decade team, he's got a bust in Canton - things that Edelman has zero chance to match because he simply lacked the skills that Megatron had. Sure, Calvin will never win three SBs, but that's because he was so good and freakish in college... he wasn't going to be drafted by a good team. He's a victim of circumstance at that point, you can't really derive a career based on happenstance such as that.

(He's also got a lot more money).

Your points are valid, what captured my imagination about this topic (that I didn't start) is that I had the same gut reaction as everyone, but then you start thinking about the actual differences in their careers and what it means to be satisfied with your career by whatever criteria you use, Edelman's was preferable to me. My frustration with this topic is that some view it as, there is no room for debate or discussion, there is but one answer. Socrates said- the unexamined life is not worth living, that quote seems appropriate to me. 

I do not claim money is an invalid reason or a worse reason. Megatron had an amazing career in his own way. He is the far superior receiver. I have never claimed otherwise. Megatron did exactly what was expected of him coming into the league as the 2nd overall pick. Yet despite all his talents and abilities and at no fault of his own he was unable to experience the ultimate success by which this game is measured, winning the Superbowl, but not just that he was on a continuously bad team. When I think career, for me, that seems very frustrating or unfulfilling. I could make far more money if I didn't want to do the work I do, but job satisfaction is part of the criteria for me. 

For myself, 44 million, which I know I am unlikely to make, is more than enough. Considering I am quite comfortable on my considerably lower salary. I don't need the extra millions. However if Edelman had only made 5 million over his career, then I very well may change my answer, because financial stability is absolutely a valid reason.

Had Edelman not won 3 super bowls or been the MVP of one, that may sway me. Had he not been on a perennial play off team, that may have weighed into it. Had he not been a regularly contributing member of the team may have swayed me towards Megatron. However, all these things are true for Edelman, money, success, and contribution. He came into the league as a 7th round pick, an under dog, worked his tail off and proved himself, experienced continuous success at the team level and didn't get murdered by Aaron Hernandez. When I think about career satisfaction, if I were to hang up those hypothetical cleats, I would rather they be Edelman's. 

I was never trying to sway anyone to choose Edelmen's career, I was making the point that there are valid reasons for choosing his career but since you have 119 million, can I get a loan? 

• Like 1

HUHHHHHHHHH?

Edelman did some cool things in his career but like come on man, dude was a product of Tom Brady being insane at QB.

Megatron was just unbelievable on a not so good Detroit Lions team.

Look at it this way, how would you perceive the two if Edelman was a career Lion and Megatron was on the Patriots? Yeah...

Edited by Landog3

3 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

My frustration with this topic is that some view it as, there is no room for debate or discussion, there is but one answer. Socrates said- the unexamined life is not worth living, that quote seems appropriate to me. 

I can agree with this. It's bound by individual nuances, no answer is right or wrong...

On 4/14/2021 at 9:25 PM, IheartMyV8 said:

I think it's an interesting question.  I wonder how many elite players would trade down their stats a bit for a ring. 

I have to say I'm surprised people are losing their ish on this. I'd easily rather have superbowls than regular season stats.

But maybe that's because I'm a fan of a team that has won a superbowl recently.

The quality of player isn't a debate, but the career you'd rather have - how is that NOT a debate?

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 12:37 AM, Landog3 said:

Look at it this way, how would you perceive the two if Edelman was a career Lion and Megatron was on the Patriots? Yeah...

Not what he asked. 

Given Edelman WAS on a team that won superbowls, and he is second to only Rice in playoff whatevers, then this is a question. Calvin is insanely better, but that's not the question.

and I think the OP is a rat. 

Calvin had a better career, but I would never trade him for Edelman. Edelman was the man in the playoffs and the Lions really didn't change drastically when Calvin left and he would eat up a **** ton of cap space which I don't think a wide receiver is worth. 

On 4/15/2021 at 1:59 PM, MWil23 said:

So, basically it's whether you'd rather be someone like Brad Johnson/Phil Simms or Dan Marino?

It's more would you rather be Dan Marino or Eli Manning. 

Like obviously Dan is the better more legendary QB, but Eli is the post season hero that retires with some of the greatest moments in thehistory of the sport on the biggest stage and will be celebrated as a SB hero forvever for his team.

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 1