Browns sign DE Jadeveon Clowney (1 year deal, up to $10M)

RaidersAreOne

Browns sack predictions

Billings 1

Richardson 3

Elliot 2

Takk 6

Clowney 6

Malik 4

Myles 25. 

Garrett doesnt get many clean up sacks, we got 3 guys that will cause a lot of disruption which we haven't had- Malik, Clowney, and Takk, myles will get the ones he earns by himself and he will get some clean up sacks too.

Edited by Kiwibrown

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Clowney is the perfect example of why being an exceptional athlete doesn't guarantee you will be a great pass rusher. The guy is so lacking in so many areas when it comes to getting to the QB. He will be solid for the Browns vs the run so it should be fine, but spending 10 million on a EDGE player that can't get to the QB is not something most players would get. If he had a different name the guy would be getting paid less than half of this.

Clowney is probably the most notable failure of a "can't miss guy" in recent memory. Imagine how good that Texan's D with Watt would have been if they drafted Mack first overall instead of Clowney...

But he didn't fail. That's kind of the point of a "can't miss guy." You're basically considering a solid career to be a failure, which kind of says it all. He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was a Second-Team All Pro in 2016. And one could easily argue that Clowney's career was harmed by the knee injury the Texans bungled his rookie year, which resulted in microfracture surgery.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Clowney is the perfect example of why being an exceptional athlete doesn't guarantee you will be a great pass rusher. The guy is so lacking in so many areas when it comes to getting to the QB. He will be solid for the Browns vs the run so it should be fine, but spending 10 million on a EDGE player that can't get to the QB is not something most players would get. If he had a different name the guy would be getting paid less than half of this.

Clowney is probably the most notable failure of a "can't miss guy" in recent memory. Imagine how good that Texan's D with Watt would have been if they drafted Mack first overall instead of Clowney...

Agree you need to be way more than an exceptional athlete. I personally never understood the hype around Clowney's sacks in college. How you get the sacks, matters. Clowney almost always went completely untouched when getting his sacks in college, which simply doesn't work in the NFL. Same thing with Josh Allen, almost all of his sacks were untouched. Allen did put up 10 sacks his rookie year although he followed it up with a subpar 2.5 sacks in 8 games the following year. I think getting an "almost-sack" while destroying someone is always more impressive on tape than an untouched sack. An example is DT Chris Jones in college. I loved Chris Jones as a 1st Round Prospect, he would always destroy the people blocking him and get close to a sack, but could never seem to finish. But it was way more impressive than an untouched sack. I was calling for Chris Jones at pick 14 in the entire draft. 

The guy this year that resembles Clowney's and Allen's untouched sacks is Gregory Rousseau. And before Rousseau opted out of 2020, he was actually a Top 5 Prospect on almost every Ranking List if people remember, which I never agreed with.... now he appears in most rankings at his real value which is the 15-35 range. 

Edited by BayRaider

49 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Browns sack predictions

Billings 1

Richardson 3

Elliot 2

Takk 6

Clowney 6

Malik 4

Myles 25. 

Garrett doesnt get many clean up sacks, we got 3 guys that will cause a lot of disruption which we haven't had- Malik, Clowney, and Takk, myles will get the ones he earns by himself and he will get some clean up sacks too.

Browns Super Bowl predictions: 0.

Clowney is very good when healthy. Some of the injuries are more bad luck than his fault. People are comically underrating him here. And he's not even the primary pass rusher on this team. The Browns defense looks pretty loaded. Maybe another secondary player and a LB and it's pretty damn impressive.

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But he didn't fail. That's kind of the point of a "can't miss guy." You're basically considering a solid career to be a failure, which kind of says it all. He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was a Second-Team All Pro in 2016. And one could easily argue that Clowney's career was harmed by the knee injury the Texans bungled his rookie year, which resulted in microfracture surgery.

Honestly I feel like he still "failed" relatively to the hype surrounding him coming out of college (absolutely not his doing I know) and draft position + people viewing him as a "can't miss" prospect. When you compare him to Garrett or the Bosa Bros (who were kind of can't miss as well) you realize as well how much he has underachieved so far as a top prospect (injuries sure haven't helped). He's the best run defender of the bunch but still he isn't as impactful as a player. 
Then you compare him to other DEs picked in the top 10 since 2014 and while he's better than Ferrell & Fowler and maybe Beasley (who still led the NFL in sacks one year that's no small feat) he's not that much better (or at all) than Chubb or L. Williams or D. Buckner. 
So basically he's right around average compared with others DEs who weren't labeled as can't miss prospects. 
And honestly I think the name recognition in 2016 got him to be 2nd team all-pro because he sure wasn't one of the clear-cup top DE that season. 

Still, he can be a force on the rare day he truly wants it and as a rotational DE in CLE that's a good situation for him and great signing for the team. 
But fans have to temper their expectations 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Honestly I feel like he still "failed" relatively to the hype surrounding him coming out of college (absolutely not his doing I know) and draft position + people viewing him as a "can't miss" prospect. When you compare him to Garrett or the Bosa Bros (who were kind of can't miss as well) you realize as well how much he has underachieved so far as a top prospect (injuries sure haven't helped). He's the best run defender of the bunch but still he isn't as impactful as a player. 
Then you compare him to other DEs picked in the top 10 since 2014 and while he's better than Ferrell & Fowler and maybe Beasley (who still led the NFL in sacks one year that's no small feat) he's not that much better (or at all) than Chubb or L. Williams or D. Buckner. 
So basically he's right around average compared with others DEs who weren't labeled as can't miss prospects. 
And honestly I think the name recognition in 2016 got him to be 2nd team all-pro because he sure wasn't one of the clear-cup top DE that season. 

Still, he can be a force on the rare day he truly wants it and as a rotational DE in CLE that's a good situation for him and great signing for the team. 
But fans have to temper their expectations 

Yeah, he failed relative to his expectations. But he isn't an example of a "can't miss prospect" failing. Because he technically didn't miss.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Yeah, he failed relative to his expectations. But he isn't an example of a "can't miss prospect" failing. Because he technically didn't miss.

Who would be a can't miss prospect that missed then?
Because for me Clowney would fit that description (although not as much as Aaron Curry but still).