Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Also has Fields one and Wilson 4th behind Lance. Really think he values the potential more than the current abilty.

I'm not sure what Mac's current ability is, that's part of the problem for me. LIS, seems point and click. 

I actually don't hate the Wilson ranking. I've said it before, I think that he's arguably got one of the higher bust chances out of these guys. I still have him 2, but he's a scary 2. 

Fields > TL doesn't make sense to me though. I get that Lawrence was sheltered by a system a little more, but he's got plenty of tape on making monster throws and a lot of experience. 

2 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I watched the Video hahaha he says whenever I hear someone is extremely smart in any type of organization that's a big red flag for me. 

Because it's an intangible that is impossible to predict at the next level, to be honest. Everyone knows Fitzpatrick is brilliant and as J said, he's the most YOLO QB you'll ever see.  It's why I Don't think he's safe, don't think he's got a high floor. If he doesn't completely max out in the head and master the game mentally (something that will likely take 5+ years anyway), he's not going to be good. He  provides you with very limited margin for error. 

He could absolutely hit on the mental part...but that's a looooooooooooot of risk to me. 

Just now, Forge said:

Because it's an intangible that is impossible to predict at the next level, to be honest. Everyone knows Fitzpatrick is brilliant and as J said, he's the most YOLO QB you'll ever see.  It's why I Don't think he's safe, don't think he's got a high floor. If he doesn't completely max out in the head and master the game mentally (something that will likely take 5+ years anyway), he's not going to be good. He  provides you with very limited margin for error. 

He could absolutely hit on the mental part...but that's a looooooooooooot of risk to me. 

Yeah I agree, idk how you can project Mac out with his limited skill set. I am really curious how Kyle is going to explain this one.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am giving it thought...honestly, if the report about the Pats going after Fields didn't come out, I think I'd do it. But I think it's clear it's not Fields at this point. I'm sure that the Pats are very clued in to what we are doing. 

I could see a scenario where the pats trading up for fields rumors are specifically designed as leverage against us with regards to the Garoppolo trade negotiations. In the same breath, if I was them, I would prefer fields to JG, but you just never know. 

Kawakami said that we have started to call teams about JG, now all of a sudden we hear that the pats are in on Justin Fields? The timing of it is interesting. I was actually very surprised that we had not heard Justin Fields linked to a team until the pats. There were rumors that carolina would consider taking fields at #8, as they havent officially exercised Darnold's 5th year option, but those seem like they were being floated by Carolina trying to get a team who likes fields to understand that he wont fall past them and that if they want him, they need to trade up to get him. 

I dont see who else would be interested in JG besides chicago, new england, and maybe a team like washington? 25 million against the cap isnt cheap for what he brings. So I really dont think we have a lot of options there. 

Ive said multiple times that I was very frustrated with JG while watching the all 22 film last season. I understand the idea that Kyle is basically done with him and just wants to move on. From that standpoint, if you only thought that there were 3 QBs who could be day one starters (TL, wilson, mccorkle) then it makes sense on some level, even if its completely flawed reasoning.

I will say it again - if you consider yourself to be the best offensive mind in the league, you should be able to get (almost) anyone ready to play with 5 months of runway. I fail to see a reason why fields couldnt execute this offense in year 1. I fail to see a reason why trey lance couldnt execute this offense in year one. Garoppolo executed the offense after being with the team for 3 weeks. 

Kyle has said "if you dont have one of the top 5 guys who can win games on their own, you just make it work. If you do have one of those guys, then you work with him and adjust to what he does" I dont understand how someone could say something like that and then go with friggen mccorkle jones over justin fields

• Like 2

I do wonder if the Jimmy G news came from the Pats. Note how King specifically notes the Pats as a destination and not a single other team, with a 2nd or future 2nd as compensation. They could be trying to leverage a trade up partner (Falcons, Lions, etc) to show them that they still have options if the price to trade up for Fields is too high

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I could see a scenario where the pats trading up for fields rumors are specifically designed as leverage against us with regards to the Garoppolo trade negotiations. In the same breath, if I was them, I would prefer fields to JG, but you just never know. 

Kawakami said that we have started to call teams about JG, now all of a sudden we hear that the pats are in on Justin Fields? The timing of it is interesting. I was actually very surprised that we had not heard Justin Fields linked to a team until the pats. There were rumors that carolina would consider taking fields at #8, as they havent officially exercised Darnold's 5th year option, but those seem like they were being floated by Carolina trying to get a team who likes fields to understand that he wont fall past them and that if they want him, they need to trade up to get him. 

I dont see who else would be interested in JG besides chicago, new england, and maybe a team like washington? 25 million against the cap isnt cheap for what he brings. So I really dont think we have a lot of options there. 

Ive said multiple times that I was very frustrated with JG while watching the all 22 film last season. I understand the idea that Kyle is basically done with him and just wants to move on. From that standpoint, if you only thought that there were 3 QBs who could be day one starters (TL, wilson, mccorkle) then it makes sense on some level, even if its completely flawed reasoning.

I will say it again - if you consider yourself to be the best offensive mind in the league, you should be able to get (almost) anyone ready to play with 5 months of runway. I fail to see a reason why fields couldnt execute this offense in year 1. I fail to see a reason why trey lance couldnt execute this offense in year one. Garoppolo executed the offense after being with the team for 3 weeks. 

Kyle has said "if you dont have one of the top 5 guys who can win games on their own, you just make it work. If you do have one of those guys, then you work with him and adjust to what he does" I dont understand how someone could say something like that and then go with friggen mccorkle jones over justin fields

I think the fact that you're starting to hear the Jimmy G trade rumors come out is the clearest indication that the selection has been made and it's Mac, personally. 

If you don't do anything else this week before the draft read one of these two articles. Better yet, read  them both. Sorry if someone already posted them. One of them, or both, put a whole bunch of talking heads to shame for their lazy and amateurish analysis.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-progressions-first-read-analysis

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/nfl-draft-justin-fields-one-read-quarterback-reporat 

I like the comments about how Fields ran the offensive he was given to run (stayed within the system) at a very high level. This especially as I imagine  how great it would be to elevate Shanny's already good offense to a new level.

"In other words, he got the most out of an admittedly very good system; but he also elevated it when need be. This wasn’t Jared Goff riding Sean McVay’s coattails to a big contract. This was more like Pat Mahomes making Andy Reid’s offense look better than we already knew it was."

The 49ers traded up from 12 to 3 with someone in mind. It seems bizarre to me that there would be disagreement because everybody had to be in from the beginning on three QBs, right? Lawrence, Wilson and someone else. Also, I find it weird that anyone in the organization would be in disagreement about what Shanahan wants from HIS quarterback.

Maiocco from his AMA