Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

Fields has arm strength and accuracy. One can argue that Mac needs some work on his decision making as well; like that clip @Forge posted yesterday of him checking down when he had a guy that would have been considered open by NFL standards. We don't need a checkdown artist. 

Mac is a great decision maker. You can pick out a clip of any top QBs missing an opportunity and checking down. 

Mac isn’t a check down artist. Not sure what else to say about that. He’s aggressive down the field. Wish he had more arm strength though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

He had Smith, Waddle (when heathy), Mecham, Billingsley.. he just had to put the ball within 5 to 10 yards of them and they would catch it.. 

Are you saying you don’t think Mac is accurate? 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Well the good thing with Mac is you can basically keep the same offense as Jimmy and not miss a beat lmao 😂

Yep. I brought that up yesterday as another reason I think that he's the pick. Back in 2017, Kyle pretty much explained the reasoning behind moving on from Kaep. It fits here. If our backups were more dual threat oriented guys, I'd probably lean more towards Fields / Lance, but when you're using statues like Rosen and Sudfeld this allows you to keep everything in the same lane. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yep. I brought that up yesterday as another reason I think that he's the pick. Back in 2017, Kyle pretty much explained the reasoning behind moving on from Kaep. It fits here. If our backups were more dual threat oriented guys, I'd probably lean more towards Fields / Lance, but when you're using statues like Rosen and Sudfeld this allows you to keep everything in the same lane. 

How dare you. Sudfeld is a dual threat.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well technically we have Josh Johnson under contract... Lol

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

I will say that I also have more questions about him off the field than I do the other guys (Mac). That may be a little unfair...there's certainly a boys will be boys thing that has to be acknowledged...but I'm not totally filled with confidence that he's a dude I want to invest in. 

But a personal opinion there. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I will admit I missed on Rosen. I thought he was a good player on a dog crap team. I fell into that same frame of thinking with Jake Locker and it bit me back then too. I will learn someday. 

Well at least your not falling fr a dog crap QB on a great team!

44 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Mac isn’t a Jimmy G clone. He’s a significantly better prospect 

Immobile with a sub-standard NFL arm. I understand about ball placement and quickness, but name me a QB that's made it big that can't move and doesn't have a good arm. I think he's minor upgrade over Jimmy at best

I'll say as a Rams fan, I'll be very happy if you pick Mac Jones. Yeah, the guy could be the next Brees or Manning. But odds are that he isn't. If he's not, he's a pretty middling talent. On the other hand, Fields and Lance are dynamic talents, and I'd hate to see Shanahan's scheme with a major rushing threat at QB. I have little doubt that Kyle will get the most out of whomever it is he drafts, so I'd rather he take the lesser talent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Immobile with a sub-standard NFL arm. I understand about ball placement and quickness, but name me a QB that's made it big that can't move and doesn't have a good arm. I think he's minor upgrade over Jimmy at best

Well if it makes you feel better Chris Simms on Matt Maiocco pod today said Jones has a better arm then brees by a tiny bit. Lol 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Unsustainable rate of rpo / playaction work in the alabama system. Like 56%. People consider clemson's offense college gimmicks and TL still ran that about 10% less. 

He goes to secondary reads less than 10% of the time (half as much as Fields as charted by draft network), and he's no particularly good when he does it (charted by TDN, PFF, someone else I'm pretty sure). Its possible that he is a good decision maker, but I don't believe that he was consistently forced into situations where he had to show that. Like, I wouldn't say he makes bad decisions. I just honestly don't know. He was super point and click. There's a concern on whether he process and makes decisions, or the system does. If he went to the NFL and was a very good decision maker, it wouldn't surprise me. IF he was a bad one, wouldn't surprise me either. 

I've seen a bunch of viseos posted to show his accurate passing but if you look hard enough you'll often find guys open deeper. I fear the possibility of checkdown charlie.

• Like 1