Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/146516-inability-free-agent-influenced-49ers-draft-plans-analyst/

"If the Niners end up taking Mac Jones over Trey Lance, which is the way it looks as of right now, it's because of what they could not accomplish during the offseason," wrote Pauline. "The team really wanted to sign a veteran quarterback and went hard after Andy Dalton as well as Joe Flacco.

"The game plan was then to trade Jimmy Garoppolo, likely to the Patriots, draft Lance, and let him sit for most of the season. The inability to sign Dalton or Flacco put them in a bind and now makes taking a quarterback who's more NFL-ready a priority."

Wanting to get rid of Jimmy G looks fine, however the rest doesn't make sense to me. Flacco is not starter material. And If we REALLY wanted Dalton, we would get him. We have no problem overpaying for what we want.

There's also nothing stopping us from trading a mid round pick for a veteran stopgap

I think the decision is as simple as, choose the QB you prefer, and work the rest of the QB room around him, whether he's raw or pro ready. 

• Like 3

All the reports seem to be that the Niners are going to take Mac Jones #3 overall. You guys think that'll happen?

As a Seahawks fan, I'm hoping they take Jones. The guy I really don't want them to get is Justin Fields. I think Fields has enormous talent and could be insane with a coach like Shanahan. Trey Lance seems like he's really talented too, but I don't know a ton about him.

Just now, showtime said:

All the reports seem to be that the Niners are going to take Mac Jones #3 overall. You guys think that'll happen?

As a Seahawks fan, I'm hoping they take Jones. The guy I really don't want them to get is Justin Fields. I think Fields has enormous talent and could be insane with a coach like Shanahan. Trey Lance seems like he's really talented too, but I don't know a ton about him.

This is so depressing that the rest of the fans from the nfc west are hoping we take Jones 🤣

• Like 4

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I think Fields has enormous talent and could be insane with a coach like Shanahan. 

That pretty much sums up how a lot of us feel, and we are going stir crazy because of it.

• Like 2

Just now, 49ers fan said:

This is so depressing that the rest of the fans from the nfc west are hoping we take Jones 🤣

I'm not a draft guru or anything, but Jones looks like one of the least talented QB's. Guy was like a 4th round pick a few months ago. Then, all of a sudden he heats up with absurd talent at Alabama. Teams couldn't even defend the WR Smith. Dude just ran wide open every game. I think pretty much any QB could play in that system and do really well.

That's not to say Jones will be bad or is bad. If Shanahan does draft him #3 overall it's still concerning because Shanahan is a beast.

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/146516-inability-free-agent-influenced-49ers-draft-plans-analyst/

Wanting to get rid of Jimmy G looks fine, however the rest doesn't make sense to me. Flacco is not starter material. And If we REALLY wanted Dalton, we would get him. We have no problem overpaying for what we want.

There's also nothing stopping us from trading a mid round pick for a veteran stopgap

I think the decision is as simple as, choose the QB you prefer, and work the rest of the QB room around him, whether he's raw or pro ready. 

Yeah, sorry not buying that. You can just keep Jimmy and sit Lance for a year. 

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yes and no. Its very weird. If I ignore everything else, I Think the pick is Fields. But I can't ignore everything else regarding Fields (he seems to legitimately be tumbling) and he doesn't seem to be in the running...even though things keep tying back. It's a very weird situation. 

But if I have to discount Fields because of everything else, I think the pick is Mac. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yes and no. Its very weird. If I ignore everything else, I Think the pick is Fields. But I can't ignore everything else regarding Fields (he seems to legitimately be tumbling) and he doesn't seem to be in the running...even though things keep tying back. It's a very weird situation. 

But if I have to discount Fields because of everything else, I think the pick is Mac. 

Why is he falling so far? Does he have any character issues or something? I heard that Fields is kind of suffering from OSU QB syndrome where people associate him with previous QBs who didn't turn out that great in the NFL... whether it be Pryor, Jones, Haskins, etc. I think Fields is a different breed than those guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Why is he falling so far? Does he have any character issues or something? I heard that Fields is kind of suffering from OSU QB syndrome where people associate him with previous QBs who didn't turn out that great in the NFL... whether it be Pryor, Jones, Haskins, etc. I think Fields is a different breed than those guys.

Kyle has this complex about taking the best QB to fit his system.. the problem is that here is a Jimmy G clone and with Lance and Fields avialable he should take either one before Mac..