Draft Week! Third Overall Pick - POLL

N4L

Who do you want the niners to draft?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2021 at 12:00 AM

3 hours ago, SonsofFenris7 said:

It's gotta be either Lance or Fields.. Mac just shot himself in the foot with that video..

Doesn't the whole "face of the franchise" thing have to come into play somewhere? I think more so in SF than any other city a QB could land in.

7 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I have no idea who is responsible for what pick but everyone whiffs in the draft. Solomon Thomas/Reuben Foster are huge blemishes on Lynch's record but I can live with those. Seemed like good picks to me at the time that didn't work out. No one beats the draft over time. 

I think Shanny should have input on all offensive selections with QB being his call. A QB/Coach relationship is too intricate to let someone else choose for you. Lynch/Peters should give all of their input but ultimately should be Kyle's call whether we like his choice or not. 

Also if rumors were Shanny wanting Fields/Lance but Lynch/Peters pushing for Mac I think people would be saying this should be Kyle's call and the front office should piss off. 

this is not the first time this has happened though. I posted the article from a couple of years back about the leaks regarding the scouting department basically  just being overruled by Shanny and lynch and disregarding their input...and that was met with pretty  subpar results. 

I have a very high opinion on Adam Peters' and this scouting department based.  I think that there should be a clear delineation between the two jobs...they seldom work well when one guy is in charge of it all. Shanny taking whomever he is taking doesn't change that...but it does show a pretty obvious flaw in it's current construction if he's going rogue against everyone else in the organization. 

3 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

That's about where I see him. If we pass at #3 and the Patriots pass on him as well, It will come down to the Bears and WFT or mystery team to prevent him from sliding into round 2. 

If BB doesn't want him we shouldn't want him either.

3 minutes ago, Uncle_Rico said:

I have no idea who is responsible for what pick but everyone whiffs in the draft. Solomon Thomas/Reuben Foster are huge blemishes on Lynch's record but I can live with those. Seemed like good picks to me at the time that didn't work out. No one beats the draft over time. 

I think Shanny should have input on all offensive selections with QB being his call. A QB/Coach relationship is too intricate to let someone else choose for you. Lynch/Peters should give all of their input but ultimately should be Kyle's call whether we like his choice or not. 

Also if rumors were Shanny wanting Fields/Lance but Lynch/Peters pushing for Mac I think people would be saying this should be Kyle's call and the front office should piss off. 

That’s part of it though. Apparently Lynch called Shanny after he attended Mahomes pro day and said something along the lines of ‘We may want to rethink this, because this guy just put on a show’ an Shanny was so locked in on Cousins that they didn’t do it. Obviously we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but sometimes you have to pound the table to get someone to see something from a different perspective. I hope they’ve learned from that if Shanny is really locked into drafting Jones.

Just now, SonsofFenris7 said:

what a trade if were to happen... i want to see the price

We established the market. 3 first rounders and a future 3rd at least, otherwise i don't think the Falcons will want to drop that far 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

this is not the first time this has happened though. I posted the article from a couple of years back about the leaks regarding the scouting department basically  just being overruled by Shanny and company...and that was met with pretty  subpar results. 

I have a very high opinion on Adam Peters' and this scouting department based.  I think that there should be a clear delineation between the two jobs...they seldom work well when one guy is in charge of it all. Shanny taking whomever he is taking doesn't change that...but it does show a pretty obvious flaw in it's current construction if he's going rogue against everyone else in the organization. 

Totally agree. Has to be synergy between the Head Coach and front office. If the personnel people feel like their work is ignored there will be issues. 

I understand the Joe Williams situation rubbing people the wrong way. I'd be pissed if he was off our board entirely then on our team the next minute. 

When it comes to making the biggest trade in franchise history for a QB of the future when your head coach is considered an offensive genius, I think this is the exact scenario Shanahan should be able to get his guy even if others disagree. 

I have a bigger issue with the previous friction you referenced. 

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

That’s part of it though. Apparently Lynch called Shanny after he attended Mahomes pro day and said something along the lines of ‘We may want to rethink this, because this guy just put on a show’ an Shanny was so locked in on Cousins that they didn’t do it. Obviously we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but sometimes you have to pound the table to get someone to see something from a different perspective. I hope they’ve learned from that if Shanny is really locked into drafting Jones.

Lynch went as a smokescreen according to him. It certainly looks bad in hindsight passing on Mahomes/Watson but at the time there were major questions about both, I think we tend to forget that. 

No Niner fans I know were mad about passing on Mahomes at the time. But to your point I think so many teams whiffing on Mahomes/Watson/Josh Allen has made teams completely re-evaluate how they view QB prospects.