The Car Thread

Dome

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

It's a 4. You can get a naturally aspirated V6 with the Regal GS. The infiniti finance deals are hard to beat, but it's outdated, especially the infotainment. Same goes for Lexus is300's, but they don't lease nearly as well as infiniti. 

If MPG's aren't a worry, find a 2016/2017 chevy SS. They get 21 mpg hwy though, but they are so sick.

This is the Regal GS with the V6

Image result for buick regal gs

Looks nice - 310 hp, stylish. Not my first choice, but worth digging into.

MPG will play a role in this, which is why I immediately ruled out a Dodge Charger Daytona 392...

• Like 1

Got the news yesterday that my 2005 Civic should go to pasture.  Valves are hitting the piston heads, and i'm not about to throw a new engine into a $1000 car.

So i think it's finally time for me to enter the realm of big boy cars.  Been driving cheap $2k, 200k mile vehicles for the last 10 years because of the amount of miles i put on them.  But those days are done, so i'm thinking a nice $10k car will be a really nice upgrade and last me a while.

What are some cars to stay away from in that price range?  Ideally i'll find something with 70-80k miles, about 5-7 years old.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:02 AM, theJ said:

Got the news yesterday that my 2005 Civic should go to pasture.  Valves are hitting the piston heads, and i'm not about to throw a new engine into a $1000 car.

So i think it's finally time for me to enter the realm of big boy cars.  Been driving cheap $2k, 200k mile vehicles for the last 10 years because of the amount of miles i put on them.  But those days are done, so i'm thinking a nice $10k car will be a really nice upgrade and last me a while.

What are some cars to stay away from in that price range?  Ideally i'll find something with 70-80k miles, about 5-7 years old.

Well you guys are no help.

I did find this website: http://www.dashboard-light.com/

Comparing against cars in my price range in my area, best bang for the buck seems to be Volkswagon Jetta's or Passat's, Buick Verano's or Nissan Altima's.

I'm test driving a Jetta today.  No it doesn't have tiger stripes.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, ET80 said:

Toyota Camry or Nissan Maxima? 

https://jalopnik.com/god-can-always-track-you-down-and-kill-you-but-in-a-30-1829010653

Good review on the new Camry.

Instead of going with the usual suspects, or doing something drastic like buying a Dodge, go look at a Kia Stinger. You can get some great deals on them, and the performance is better than all of the cars listed so far. 

9 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

https://jalopnik.com/god-can-always-track-you-down-and-kill-you-but-in-a-30-1829010653

Good review on the new Camry.

Instead of going with the usual suspects, or doing something drastic like buying a Dodge, go look at a Kia Stinger. You can get some great deals on them, and the performance is better than all of the cars listed so far. 

I've actually been taking a hard look at the Stinger lately - great looks, 365hp twin turbo V6, AWD. If it drives well, it jumps to the top of the list.

On 28/01/2020 at 4:09 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab 4x4 with the 2.9L I4

The trailer wouldn't be big. I thought about just renting their 4x8 or 5x8 trailer. The biggest single axle or smallest double axle.

I didn't really think you could find a truck that would make me question my proclamation.  But you kinda did.

That's the most barely a truck that a truck can be.  But still...as long as you've got the right connections for lights and a deep well of patience and attention to detail if things go bad...i don't see why your not really a truck couldn't muscle through a trailer to where you need it.  Just very much take'r easy.  Don't repeat.

On 28/01/2020 at 1:22 PM, MrDrew said:

As a 2x VW owner, getting a warranty past 100k is a great idea. Probably even better than buying new.

I play disc golf with a guy that traded in a tuned WRX for a Golf R, and he couldn't be happier. It's close to the same performance as the STi, and Evo, but it does it all in grownup comfort. The DSG is a lot of fun to play with, and lets you be lazy in traffic too. Now I have to go work on my MKV GTI...

VW key is, all about the warranty life.

It's sad as heck that it's been lost over the years, but they still to interior design as well as anyone in the segment, and materials are so much nicer.

On 28/01/2020 at 8:46 PM, ET80 said:

Looks nice - 310 hp, stylish. Not my first choice, but worth digging into.

MPG will play a role in this, which is why I immediately ruled out a Dodge Charger Daytona 392...

I feel like people are gonna think i'm a Buick Schill...but honestly, all i've got to say is...modern Buick's aren't your grandmother's unit.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

VW key is, all about the warranty life.

It's sad as heck that it's been lost over the years, but they still to interior design as well as anyone in the segment, and materials are so much nicer.

It’s always little stuff that goes wrong. I’ve been troubleshooting a headlight for a long time now, but no real engine issues. The seats are awesome, but the plastic peels. Still the most fun cars to drive for the money.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:27 AM, Tugboat said:

I didn't really think you could find a truck that would make me question my proclamation.  But you kinda did.

That's the most barely a truck that a truck can be.  But still...as long as you've got the right connections for lights and a deep well of patience and attention to detail if things go bad...i don't see why your not really a truck couldn't muscle through a trailer to where you need it.  Just very much take'r easy.  Don't repeat.

Plan on buying a new midsize once I move. With a bigger tow package. Most likely a Tacoma or Colorado. Unsure of the new Ranger and not much of a ford guy. I'm not about all these Turbo 4 bangers. 

On 1/29/2020 at 4:02 AM, theJ said:

It all just comes down to what your wants/needs/preferences are. If you can put that together and get a good idea of what you want, start from there. Going off of that tidbit you provided, we're probably looking at reliable, midsize daily commuters as you seem to drive lots of miles.

Look at the Mazda 3/6 model lines. They are extremely maintenance friendly, cost affordable and efficient all across the board. They also have had some of the best modern and integrated interior designs since the 00s for low-to-middle class cars. I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege5 that I bought off a mom and pop lot with 160K miles from 2012-2018 until 226K miles and it never gave me any issues I didn't deserve. Never left me hanging. If I was being honest, the only issues it ever gave me was the stuff I ignored because of being naive (these were literally my low, broke, struggling years). The Check Engine Light came on the day I bought it and drove it home (was a 2.5 hour drive from me),  the car would burn oil when I took it on long drives, usually out of town. There were times that I didn't change the oil when I was supposed to and skipped intervals or two. Yet that car never left me stranded, as long as I focused on the one thing to keep her churning (maintaining that oil).

I never cared to fix the Check Engline Light. It was a bad Catalytic Converter. Didn't affect that car's direct well being as it was more smog related. That issue also correlated with the burning oil issue. Never cared to fix and reseal the engine. I would just keep the extra oil I had from the previous oil change and just refill as I go until the next change. I neglected the crap out of that car, that was probably already neglected it's whole life up to the point (considering the issues that arrived when I purchased it), yet I took it everywhere from Central Cali to NorCal and SoCal, the lakes, beaches and even the mountains (Sierra Nevadas). I was good to go as long as I checked the oil before and refilled it again after. This story isn't beautiful by any means, and makes it look like this car is trouble, but believe me when I tell you these issues were all owner related. It's a detriment to the beating and negligence this car could take.

By the time I was finally able to get something else and sell it, I was impressed. One of my favorite cars I ever owned. And I grew up touching and modifying cars, so I know more than the average joe (not that I used this car for that by any means. I took a break from modifying cars). I really like what Mazda has been offering in the last 20 years.

I'd stay away from Volkswagen. They're nice when new, but there's a reason the junk yards are filled with them.

Nissans aren't bad but they're not anything special. Kia and Hyundai has really been on the rise this past decade. I got a rental recently and likeed how smooth and operable it was..

Lexus has always been class, but as you mentioned, you're gonna need to shell out that dough..

Edited by Nex_Gen