The Car Thread

Dome

On 24/05/2020 at 9:07 PM, MrDrew said:

Nope. Even if you did, it probably wouldn't handle the pressure of ignition. 

Good news is that if it's an old truck, you can get a 350/351/360 crate engine for a reasonable price.

The chassis is beyond ****ed.  Its so sad that this thing has been just sitting there for...honestly i don't even know.  But the chassis is worse than the block.

Should've grabbed a picture the last time i ran by there, but i never really take my phone.  Just makes me sad.  History decaying into nothing.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The chassis is beyond ****ed.  Its so sad that this thing has been just sitting there for...honestly i don't even know.  But the chassis is worse than the block.

Should've grabbed a picture the last time i ran by there, but i never really take my phone.  Just makes me sad.  History decaying into nothing.

It's weird how people have an attachment to old cars, even if they were way before our time. You saw "History decaying", when in reality it was just a mass produced (for the time) product, that was meant to be disposable. I totally get it too. There's something about old cars that give you feeling that aren't there about new cars. In 50 years, nobody is going to walk by an F150 or Silverado, and be sad that it's rotting. Even back in the 80's-90's, cars from the 50's-60's were cool. Nobody feels the same about a car from 2000, and with a few exceptions, nobody ever will.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrDrew said:

It's weird how people have an attachment to old cars, even if they were way before our time. You saw "History decaying", when in reality it was just a mass produced (for the time) product, that was meant to be disposable. I totally get it too. There's something about old cars that give you feeling that aren't there about new cars. In 50 years, nobody is going to walk by an F150 or Silverado, and be sad that it's rotting. Even back in the 80's-90's, cars from the 50's-60's were cool. Nobody feels the same about a car from 2000, and with a few exceptions, nobody ever will.

Thats totally what its about.

Lot of terrible old cars.  But they're just made different.  There's something to that.

New cars are fine, they're just...not interesting.  They're inching ever toward becoming a "white good" like a dishwasher or washing machine.

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

what is the best summer car that is just fun for driving?

I'm having a hard time finding anything better than a Miata, but I'm open to suggestions. 

Miata was my first thought. I've heard good things about the Fiat 124 Spider, but people still put the Miata ahead of it. 

You could find a used Porsche Boxter (10 or so years old) with under 75,000 for about $15-20k...

18 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

what is the best summer car that is just fun for driving?

I'm having a hard time finding anything better than a Miata, but I'm open to suggestions. 

All depends on budget, and what exactly you want.

If you want a roadster, the Toyota MR-2 Spyder is actually more fun to drive than a Miata, and they're reasonably priced still.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Driving a friend's Model S was tons of fun. Along with how futurific it feels. Took a while to get used to not hitting the brakes to slow down. 

I'm likely awaiting the Cyber Truck anyways given the timeframe. Have never driven one personally, but have been driven in them a bunch and am always blown away by them.

On 06/06/2020 at 3:11 PM, Glen said:

I'm likely awaiting the Cyber Truck anyways given the timeframe. Have never driven one personally, but have been driven in them a bunch and am always blown away by them.

Literally buying a vehicle without driving it.  Just waiting.  The pinnacle of consumerism.  So impressed, i want one.  Can i order it on Amazon?

How have you even been driven in them a bunch though, actually?  Aren't they literally all just demo vehicles at this point?

Edited by Tugboat

On 06/06/2020 at 2:40 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Driving a friend's Model S was tons of fun. Along with how futurific it feels. Took a while to get used to not hitting the brakes to slow down. 

If that's the future of cars, i'm unsubscribing.

There's nothing "futuristic" about stupid awful boring electric individual cars.  The better future, is mass transit which is orders of magnitude more efficient than any individual car will ever be.  We need to get there.  So people who actually enjoy cars, don't have to put up with a billion Teslas self-driving around like derpy robots in the wrong lane.

On 04/06/2020 at 3:16 PM, MrDrew said:

All depends on budget, and what exactly you want.

If you want a roadster, the Toyota MR-2 Spyder is actually more fun to drive than a Miata, and they're reasonably priced still.

Yeah.  These are the items.

If you've got a particularly large bulge in your wallet, look at a Lotus Elise, or look up an old 80's BMW and set aside a healthy bit of money to bring it back to life, and then update a few things.  That's where you go if you just want to have some weekend fun though.

• Like 1