The Car Thread

Dome

So need some quick advice..looking for a new car/truck that has...

1. Good Gas Mileage (I drive 80-100 miles a day for work) 
2. Safe 
3. Not to expensive (10-15k..20k is pushing it)
4. Something where the seats are relatively high - I have a torn labrum in my hip so getting in and out of my current car (honda civic) Can be quite the challenge. 

Any advice?

12 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

2. Safe 
4. Something where the seats are relatively high - I have a torn labrum in my hip so getting in and out of my current car (honda civic) Can be quite the challenge. 

Any advice?

brand new but not high off the ground: Kia Forte. great 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty, easily in the mid thirties for combined gas milage, feels good to drive, pretty good safety, costs around $15,000

used high off ground: any police auction trucks you can find in good condition no more than a few year years old like the Chevy Colorado or Silverado, GMC Canyon or Sierra, or Toyota Tundra or Tacoma will get as low as $16,000 with about 25,000-70,000 miles. got to know someone to get into auctions though. The Colorado and Canyon are both GM and basically the same truck. Brand new MSRP for these trucks is around $20,000. Chevys tend to be my prefered ride regardless of car maker.

alternatives: Subaru Forrester. pricey even used but long lasting, high safety ratings, adequate gas milage for the size, all wheel drive, and higher up seats than expected plus generally good aerodynamics, visibility and storage. customizable, comes in manuel obviously, and fairly loyal customer service by the company.

Any crossovers SUV type cars like the CR-V or RAV-4 are elevated comapred to your Civic, get pretty good safety and milage ratings, and are relatively affordable.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

2. Safe 

Any advice?

You're not going to find anything new at that price, but there's a few things that I can think of. 

Best gas mileage - Prius. They actually sit pretty high.

Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Toyota Yaris, all sit higher than the average car, and get really good MPG. 

9 hours ago, MrDrew said:

You're not going to find anything new at that price, but there's a few things that I can think of. 

Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Toyota Yaris, all sit higher than the average car, and get really good MPG. 

No crossovers? ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2018 at 5:12 PM, jrry32 said:

Solution: We must strike the SUVs before they strike us. We need a preemptive strike. I recommend we start with the surviving hummers. You gotta take out the biggest, baddest one in the yard to get respect.

The original Hummers are actually pretty cool though.  They're just legitimate Utility vehicles that can actually serve a purpose.  It's all the crud on the market with nothing but the vague pretense of "utility" capability that we must strike first.  The junk that doesn't have any ground clearance or a legitimate 4x4 drivetrain, doesn't really have any more space than a hatchback or station wagon, but weighs a bunch extra and manages to be less efficient and more deadly to pedestrians and everyone else for no reason whatsoever.

The later gen "Hummers" fall into that category in the sense that they're just excessively bloated, less capable versions of other "normal" truck frame GM SUVs.  So those can go.  But the original Hummers can stay imo.

Preparing to trade in my reliable Honda at the beginning of the year, been a loyal servant for 8 years. Absolutely zero issues with it.

But the time has come for something that doesn't have a sports suspension, does more than 20 MPG and has more than 3 doors.

I really want a pick up but they're so impractical in a city like London.

I'm liking the look of the Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:11 AM, MrDrew said:

Idk about the nothing new at that price statement, before I settled on getting my regal I was looking at a bunch of options and (at least here where I live) there were a couple places selling new Encores for under 20k. That would fit the high sitting thing but not so much the great gas mileage part.. They aren't terrible in that department, about 30mpg combined but driving that much you may want better than that.

50 minutes ago, UKTexans said:

Preparing to trade in my reliable Honda at the beginning of the year, been a loyal servant for 8 years. Absolutely zero issues with it.

But the time has come for something that doesn't have a sports suspension, does more than 20 MPG and has more than 3 doors.

I really want a pick up but they're so impractical in a city like London.

I'm liking the look of the Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson.

The good thing about Kia these days is they've been packing everything into their cars lately... If you spring for the top trims you're looking at heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats (and ventilated in some models I believe) etc... They load them pretty well for the price.

Never driven them much though so can't really speak to ride quality.

11 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

The good thing about Kia these days is they've been packing everything into their cars lately... If you spring for the top trims you're looking at heated and ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats (and ventilated in some models I believe) etc... They load them pretty well for the price.

It just means more things that will break in the future. 

On 25/07/2018 at 5:51 AM, rob_shadows said:

The bad thing about Kia is...they're still cramming features in over real quality.

If you want features, go for it.  If you want quality...maybe hold up and look around.