The Car Thread

Dome

9 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Traded my Camaro in for a 2018 Kia Optima LX. Really nice car for family trips or driving it to and from work. It'll save me some money at least.

Did you have to cut the mullet off, or do they just fall off with the loss of a Camaro?

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2018 at 1:28 PM, MrDrew said:

They're definitely following the Toyota/Honda plan. The cars are really nice now, regardless of how they started. The stigma is still there though. 

I am looking at buying a car within the next year.... choosing between a Civic and Elantra. I don't think I would buy a Civic new, but if I went Elantra I would be looking at new ones cause of the cost difference. Thoughts?

• Like 1

On 31/07/2018 at 7:55 AM, MrDrew said:

Not sure when the last time you were in one was, but they've come a long way since getting bought by Hyundai. As a brand Genesis/Hyundai/Kia are the top ranked in initial quality now

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2018-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

JD Power is literally a marketing firm that more or less just regurgitates marketing "awards" for funding.  It means basically nothing.

I'm gonna go with my experience actually sitting in a car and feeling it out, personally.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

JD Power is literally a marketing firm that more or less just regurgitates marketing "awards" for funding.  It means basically nothing.

I'm gonna go with my experience actually sitting in a car and feeling it out, personally.

JD Power definitely has it’s flaws, but no moreso than using the handful of examples you’ve been in as a basis for an opinion and assuming you have an adequate sample size.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

JD Power definitely has it’s flaws, but no moreso than using the handful of examples you’ve been in as a basis for an opinion and assuming you have an adequate sample size.

Trying to reference legitimate "long-term quality" anecdotally is at least as stupid, if not more so...but JD Power really doesn't test **** when it comes to actual "quality" either.  When it comes to me sitting in a car and pushing buttons, turning knobs, driving the darn thing...and researching owners across the internet...i'll take that every day vs a JD Power award, especially for "initial quality" which i literally can and will feel out for myself. 

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The initial quality is based on reported issues in the first how ever many miles. Not a perfect system, but it's good insight. 

I'm basing my experience on being an owner, know a few people that have owned one, and know what actually comes up. Sitting in one should tell you exactly what I said, nice, but a little bit below Toyota/Honda. 90% + of the quality of a Toyota/Honda for 75% of the price. 

5 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

The initial quality is based on reported issues in the first how ever many miles. Not a perfect system, but it's good insight. 

I'm basing my experience on being an owner, know a few people that have owned one, and know what actually comes up. Sitting in one should tell you exactly what I said, nice, but a little bit below Toyota/Honda. 90% + of the quality of a Toyota/Honda for 75% of the price. 

My issue with the JD Power rankings is the “initial” part.

Tbh pretty much all manufacturers make a vehicle that is reliable to 100k save a lemon or two, the real difference comes at 150k+ which is long after most of the JD Power stuff is complete.  This is where Honda and Toyota have made their name and changed he people view used cars.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I am looking at buying a car within the next year.... choosing between a Civic and Elantra. I don't think I would buy a Civic new, but if I went Elantra I would be looking at new ones cause of the cost difference. Thoughts?

It's really hard to beat the Civic in that class. You'll get the better warranty on the Elantra though. 

If you can get a used Si, with the turbo, that's the way to go. If you're just looking at base models, you'd have t drive them to see if they'll work. The Elantra Eco with the DCT seems like it'd be interesting with that kind of MPG. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Tbh pretty much all manufacturers make a vehicle that is reliable to 100k save a lemon or two, the real difference comes at 150k+ which is long after most of the JD Power stuff is complete.  This is where Honda and Toyota have made their name and changed he people view used cars.  

That's definitely true. The thing is that you look at Fiat and Dodge, and see how many come back for repairs in the first few thousand miles, and it tells a story. Hyundai/Kia are new doing good at the beginning, not really having issues in the intermediate, but still need time to prove they can hang with Toyota/Honda. They haven't been doing it right for long enough to have a great comparison. 

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

I mean, if you're an owner who never plans to own a car off warranty.  Just gonna lease endlessly, then yeah...i guess maybe it kinda matter.  But it's also still a pay-in system with JD Power.  The companies have to pay to be evaluated by them, which seems...janky.  You pay money if you got a good grade, and you can then advertise it.  Otherwise, it's classified.

Sitting in a lot of modern Toyotas and Hondas is pretty gory too.  They're not "nice" places to be.  It's interesting because i really do feel like Hyundai/Kia are trying to leapfrog them in that regard...but it's like they're kinda sorta halfway there right now.  They're out on a ledge where they've made it all look nice compared to Toyota/Honda...but they still need to actually land the reliability to make that work.  And they still haven't nearly caught up to the Germans with aesthetic sense and just the way every surface and button or knob feels.  Though the Germans, especially VW have some massive reliability problems of their own...they're the undisputed champions of the interior quality feel category.  Until it all shorts out and your radio button starts opening your sunroof for no apparent reason or whatever.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is the other really serious problematic part of it.

1 hour ago, MrDrew said:

That's definitely true. The thing is that you look at Fiat and Dodge, and see how many come back for repairs in the first few thousand miles, and it tells a story. Hyundai/Kia are new doing good at the beginning, not really having issues in the intermediate, but still need time to prove they can hang with Toyota/Honda. They haven't been doing it right for long enough to have a great comparison. 

This is also true.  I really love what Fiat is trying to do...but man, even as much as that Giulia Quadrifoglio entices...even if i were in the market for a car of that ilk...the reputation and the lack of a quality dealer network would spin me off to something else.  Chrysler don't exactly have a good foundation to stand on with reliability.  They've been terrible forever.  As have Dodge Rams.

On a Dodge Ram note...i'm really intrigued by what this upcoming GM Silverado/Sierra1500 3.0L I6 Diesel is going to be all about.  I cannot wait to see what they bring to the table.  Their 2.8L i4 Duramax is honestly pretty amazing.

• 1 month later...

I'm really loving the Hyundai Kona. It seems to have everything I'm looking for. I've mainly been looking at the BMW X1, Mercedes GLA, Lexus NX and Audi Q3, but I'm having a hard time justifying  the price jump when a fully loaded Kona would have more features for cheaper, and I trust Hyundai much more in terms of reliability and cost of ownership.