The Car Thread

Dome

15 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I found a 2017 Corolla with 42K KM for $17K, considering that.

42k KM is roughly 26k Miles.

I used to be a Store Manager at Firestone Complete Auto Care. I've seen plenty of people skip oil changes and run 2-3k miles over their suggested intervals for these vehicles. I had a 2017 Infiniti QX60 blown engine at 15k. She never changed her oil... She had tears in her eyes when we told her we wouldn't change her oil because it was sludge like on the oil cap.

Pay the extra 3k for a BRAND NEW vehicle bro. You literally get 5 years 60k bumper to bumper warranty. And you know the complete maintenance history is 100% in your hands.

3 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

I used to be a Store Manager at Firestone Complete Auto Care. I've seen plenty of people skip oil changes and run 2-3k miles over their suggested intervals for these vehicles. I had a 2017 Infiniti QX60 blown engine at 15k. She never changed her oil... She had tears in her eyes when we told her we wouldn't change her oil because it was sludge like on the oil cap.

Pay the extra 3k for a BRAND NEW vehicle bro. You literally get 5 years 60k bumper to bumper warranty. And you know the complete maintenance history is 100% in your hands.

I’d add a “certified used” vehicle from a dealer with a warranty.

I have no issue buying a used car, but make sure someone has maintained it.  When I bought my wife’s car it was used (she drives 2500-3000 miles a year, no need for a new car)  it came with receipts from all the oil changes and scheduled maintenance up to that point, all from the dealer.

You can both buy used and know the maintenance history, you just have to be a bit more selective in what you’re looking at.

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d add a “certified used” vehicle from a dealer with a warranty.

I have no issue buying a used car, but make sure someone has maintained it.  When I bought my wife’s car it was used (she drives 2500-3000 miles a year, no need for a new car)  it came with receipts from all the oil changes and scheduled maintenance up to that point, all from the dealer.

You can both buy used and know the maintenance history, you just have to be a bit more selective in what you’re looking at.

I agree with every thing you said. But for 3k more he can get a 2019 brand new off the lot. Hes talking a 2017.

Edited by GHARMON9
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a dealer tonight. I liked the car but noped out, for now anyway.

They would only focus on biweekly payment. However my focus was on the total cost of the car, and after that i wanted to discuss the payment from that.  And, they claimed that a customer at a different dealership was interested in the car and it would be sold tomorrow to that dealer. So if i want it, i need to buy it tonight. I don't respond to such pressure, and the deal was ok, but i needed to think about it. It wasn't that good that i was ready to purchase.

The salesperson and manager also had a public "argument" 2 desks down after my final counteroffer, where the salesperson presented our offer and the manager said it was a joke, and if thats the offer, they'll sell it to the other dealership. We left shortly after but I did the math later at home on the final biweekly payments they were willing to offer...our number was only $1K off. But that $1K was probably important. I was willing to negotiate our offer up a bit, even match that $1K. But they never counter-offered that number.

I don't have much experience negotiating at dealerships, but i figure you always offer low, they offer high, and meet in the middle? I went to a different dealer (same make and model,  but only 8,000 KM difference in mileage) 2 days ago. They quoted me a price, i quoted a price $2K lower than the listing, they said they can lower it $1K. Since todays deal was similar i thought we could negotiate but i suppose not...live and learn. 

I need to sleep on the deal.  I might call them back because i don't actually believe the car will be gone tomorrow, but if it is...i've got backup options im ready to move on.

Edited by 49ersfan

11 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Went to a dealer tonight. I liked the car but noped out, for now anyway.

They would only focus on biweekly payment. However my focus was on the total cost of the car, and after that i wanted to discuss the payment from that.  And, they claimed that a customer at a different dealership was interested in the car and it would be sold tomorrow to that dealer. So if i want it, i need to buy it tonight. I don't respond to such pressure, and the deal was ok, but i needed to think about it. It wasn't that good that i was ready to purchase.

The salesperson and manager also had a public "argument" 2 desks down after my final counteroffer, where the salesperson presented our offer and the manager said it was a joke, and if thats the offer, they'll sell it to the other dealership. We left shortly after but I did the math later at home on the final biweekly payments they were willing to offer...our number was only $1K off. But that $1K was probably important. I was willing to negotiate our offer up a bit, even match that $1K. But they never counter-offered that number.

I don't have much experience negotiating at dealerships, but i figure you always offer low, they offer high, and meet in the middle? I went to a different dealer (same make and model,  but only 8,000 KM difference in mileage) 2 days ago. They quoted me a price, i quoted a price $2K lower than the listing, they said they can lower it $1K. Since todays deal was similar i thought we could negotiate but i suppose not...live and learn. 

I need to sleep on the deal.  I might call them back because i don't actually believe the car will be gone tomorrow, but if it is...i've got backup options im ready to move on.

Yea, never bend to the shortened timeline tactics by dealerships. 99% of the time it is completely fake, the other times you're going to get into a bidding war. While looking for my first car, the one dealership kept coming back with their "final offer"s until I decided to move on because I told them flat out what I could afford. They ended up calling me two days later (had left my number) to try to sell under my budget after I had already bought another car.

Talking to a manager is also a fake tactic typically, as they should know what they CAN sell the car for in general. Worked at a dealership doing odd jobs when I was younger and saw a salesman go into an empty manager's office before and come out saying the manager wouldn't allow it (manager was not in that day at all). Car salesmen (particularly used car salesmen) haven't come up with new tactics in decades, I swear. I like pulling the same trick back and call a parent (when you're younger) or a significant other or someone else that you can pin the blame on for a limited budget. A lot of salesmen don't know what to do when you use their tactics against them.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Bumpity bump bump bump

you run a used or new car lot or something?

The cars sell themselves.  Now-a-days people find the cars they want to look at on the internet before they come to the lot.  They don't come just to browse.

To get people in the door, you need to have good pictures of each car in the inventory posted on the internet.  On your companies website and other big ones that people frequent.  Price listed and everything.

If someone isn't coming to your lot, it's because you don't have the car they want (or at the right price) and they can already see that online.  No amount of facebook posts or w/e is going to draw them in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theJ said:

you run a used or new car lot or something?

The cars sell themselves.  Now-a-days people find the cars they want to look at on the internet before they come to the lot.  They don't come just to browse.

To get people in the door, you need to have good pictures of each car in the inventory posted on the internet.  On your companies website and other big ones that people frequent.  Price listed and everything.

If someone isn't coming to your lot, it's because you don't have the car they want (or at the right price) and they can already see that online.  No amount of facebook posts or w/e is going to draw them in.

My thought process is people need to buy cars every few years right? Why go to you instead of someone else? I just started selling cars, the dealership i work for is either first or second biggest dealership in the city. I want every single person possible to come and buy from me, not the guy down the street. We have a price match guarantee, a stupid rich owner, and like 8 different brands from which i can sell (hired as VW, i can cross sell though)

any of you guys heard of Jonathan Dawson he created Sellchology university.  Learning a lot from him.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:02 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

My thought process is people need to buy cars every few years right? Why go to you instead of someone else? I just started selling cars, the dealership i work for is either first or second biggest dealership in the city. I want every single person possible to come and buy from me, not the guy down the street. We have a price match guarantee, a stupid rich owner, and like 8 different brands from which i can sell (hired as VW, i can cross sell though)

That's great, but if you don't have the car i want then i'm not coming there.

I'm also not going to your lot if the website isn't top notch.  I want to see what you have, in detail, before i go.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, theJ said:

That's great, but if you don't have the car i want then i'm not coming there.

I'm also not going to your lot if the website isn't top notch.  I want to see what you have, in detail, before i go.

Agreed, things have changed from 15-20 years ago.

I’m not walking on a lot just to see what you have, I know what you have and I’m there for a specific vehicle or two.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not walking on a lot just to see what you have, I know what you have and I’m there for a specific vehicle or two.  

Yes, 100%. The worst thing is when the salesman is like, "while you're here, let's go look at some other cars in your price range" before seeing the car you want to see. It's a waste of time and is basically telling your customer that they don't actually know what they want (despite clearly having it narrowed down already).

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 7:33 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well duh. But what points you in a direction to a specific Chevy store for example. It’s not like only one place in the city carries the vehicle. I’m not trying to sway someone from a specific manufacturer. I’m trying to steal the business from the competitor that’s selling the same brand. 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:44 AM, skywlker32 said:

Yes, 100%. The worst thing is when the salesman is like, "while you're here, let's go look at some other cars in your price range" before seeing the car you want to see. It's a waste of time and is basically telling your customer that they don't actually know what they want (despite clearly having it narrowed down already).

What’s worse is when said customer thinks they can get a 40k$ car for 200$ a month with no money down lol. Car salesman should listen to their customer and give them what they want, obviously but when they want caviar on a peanut butter diet then there’s an issue.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, GHARMON9 said:

I've increased my budget a bit...i'm finding at 20K, i'm not getting what i want, either in terms of features, price, or mileage. I've looked at cars as high as 35K total all-in (i'm financing). However, i think i'll probably get a car $25K all-in, with around 10,000 KM and still under warranty. Currently, i'm leaning towards Mazda as i hear they're reliable. It's also the best car i've test driven, both the 3 GT and 6 (along with an Acura TLX, BMW 320i, Lexus IS300)

On 4/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, skywlker32 said:

Yea, never bend to the shortened timeline tactics by dealerships. 99% of the time it is completely fake, the other times you're going to get into a bidding war. While looking for my first car, the one dealership kept coming back with their "final offer"s until I decided to move on because I told them flat out what I could afford. They ended up calling me two days later (had left my number) to try to sell under my budget after I had already bought another car.

Talking to a manager is also a fake tactic typically, as they should know what they CAN sell the car for in general. Worked at a dealership doing odd jobs when I was younger and saw a salesman go into an empty manager's office before and come out saying the manager wouldn't allow it (manager was not in that day at all). Car salesmen (particularly used car salesmen) haven't come up with new tactics in decades, I swear. I like pulling the same trick back and call a parent (when you're younger) or a significant other or someone else that you can pin the blame on for a limited budget. A lot of salesmen don't know what to do when you use their tactics against them.

Another dealer played the same game (car will sell, buy now or you'll lose it). Both guys called me today lol. Its not my nature to rush any deal unless its amazing, i know the BS some of these guys pull. 

I'm currently leaning towards a Mazda, either a 3 GT or 6....its a good drive and doesn't break the bank, even a new (2018). I've been looking at Lexus as well cuz i hear the reliability is top notch. I'm staying away from BMW/Audi/VW/Mercedes as even with an increased budget where i can afford car payments, i've heard maintenance costs are high.

Edited by 49ersfan