The Car Thread

Dome

46 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Hmmm well that is certainly not what I wanted to hear. Replacement battery will probably run my at least $2500 and they don't have much of a warranty. Would you recommend just getting a new prius?

Is it drive-able as is?  Is your gas mileage just suffering?

I have a civic hybrid with a faulty IMS signal, but i'm still driving it.  Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

Just now, theJ said:

Is it drive-able as is?  Is your gas mileage just suffering?

I have a civic hybrid with a faulty IMS signal, but i'm still driving it.  Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

Mine doesn't drive at all. It's at a shop right now and it won't even hold charge long enough for them to properly diagnose it. The 12V seems to be fine, so as of now I think it has to be the main battery. 

4 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Mine doesn't drive at all. It's at a shop right now and it won't even hold charge long enough for them to properly diagnose it. The 12V seems to be fine, so as of now I think it has to be the main battery. 

I would either do the full replacement, or sell it as-is and move onto something else.  I wouldn't just replace a few cells.  

You could replace just a few cells and turn around and sell it, but that's dishonest IMO.  It's not a repair that will last.

Whether you get another Prius or not is up to you.  I'm dubious whether they're really better for the environment or not, knowing where that electricity comes from in the large majority of the US (coal) plus the method for manufacturing and producing the batteries for the vehicle.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I've been told that buying a car 1-3 years old is the best deal. What are your guys opinions on that? In the older range, what would be something good in the 7-10k range?

Isn't that when they lose the biggest chunk of their value over a short time? I'd say that makes sense. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2019 at 12:47 PM, theJ said:

I would either do the full replacement, or sell it as-is and move onto something else.  I wouldn't just replace a few cells.  

You could replace just a few cells and turn around and sell it, but that's dishonest IMO.  It's not a repair that will last.

Whether you get another Prius or not is up to you.  I'm dubious whether they're really better for the environment or not, knowing where that electricity comes from in the large majority of the US (coal) plus the method for manufacturing and producing the batteries for the vehicle.

Recommend you don't look into the environmental consequences of Hybrid Batteries in the first place.  It's not great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 2018 Mazda 3 in April. Declined the dealerships add-on's such as rust undercoating. Wondering if i should get my own rust proofing done instead? I was thinking something like Krown, $150 a year? (Dealership was offering $1500 to be paid over 6 year loan). 

I do live in Canada and the winters can get harsh, plus salt on the roads. But idk if krown rustproofing is worth it. I heard modern cars are better designed and don't rust as easily anymore. 

FYI I'm planning on keeping this car for at least 5-7 years barring something like moving closer to my work.

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Bought a 2018 Mazda 3 in April. Declined the dealerships add-on's such as rust undercoating. Wondering if i should get my own rust proofing done instead? I was thinking something like Krown, $150 a year? (Dealership was offering $1500 to be paid over 6 year loan). 

I do live in Canada and the winters can get harsh, plus salt on the roads. But idk if krown rustproofing is worth it. I heard modern cars are better designed and don't rust as easily anymore. 

FYI I'm planning on keeping this car for at least 5-7 years barring something like moving closer to my work.

I live in MN so obviously deal with the same salt issues, and I have never heard of anyone having or recommending undercoating. I've never heard of any underbody rust issues on modern cars.

20 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I live in MN so obviously deal with the same salt issues, and I have never heard of anyone having or recommending undercoating. I've never heard of any underbody rust issues on modern cars.

Yeah, i was thinking of doing krown, but i don't want to spend the $150 per year if i dont have to, and i also dont want holes to be drilled into my car if i can avoid it. 

On 6/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, Heimdallr said:

I live in northern Ohio, so obviously rust on cars is a bigger problem here than most.  The salt is heavy.

I only see rust a big problem on older vehicles.  Maybe 15+ years old.  I have a 14 year old Civic with very little rust.  Even the brake lines look good, and there's no evidence of underbody coatings being applied.

@49ersfan I wouldn't worry about it.  Especially if you're buying new and getting rid of it 5-7 years.  You'll never see any rust in that time frame.

Another thing about rust, it’s easily managed by keeping your car clean and addressing nicks in the paint from gravel and such as they happen.

Clean the chips and repair them with touch up paint.  Don’t let them spread.  

As far as axels and stuff like that, if my axels and driveshaft have rusted through, it’s time for a new vehicle.