The Car Thread

Dome

On 13/02/2019 at 7:00 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Anyone here sell cars for a living?

Certainly not.  But i could put you in a barely used Toyota Camry for as little as $198 per month.  Automatic transmission.  Climate control.  Traction control.  Power windows.  The works basically.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever sold a junk/project car?

I’ve got a 99 Subaru with a blown engine, I don’t need the car and have little interest in undertaking a project this large. The tires are brand new with factory alloy wheels, probably worth a few hundred bucks. The body is in good shape, interior is 6/10. 160k miles on it when it blew.

Part it out, or partially part it out and sell the rest for scrap? Get some cheap rollers and sell the tires and car separate? Just sell it as is? 

Whats the best way to get rid of this thing?

7 hours ago, Dome said:

I’ve got a 99 Subaru with a blown engine, I don’t need the car and have little interest in undertaking a project this large. The tires are brand new with factory alloy wheels, probably worth a few hundred bucks. The body is in good shape, interior is 6/10. 160k miles on it when it blew.

Part it out, or partially part it out and sell the rest for scrap? Get some cheap rollers and sell the tires and car separate? Just sell it as is? 

Depends how much your time is worth.

Parting it out would likely net the most money, but it will cost some time.

Sell as is would be the quickest and easiest.  Is there a market for a 20 year old Subaru that doesn’t run?  If not, sell the wheels and tires and scrap the rest.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dome said:

I sold my 99 Mercury Sable last year for a few gallons of Tide detergent.  Just try and beat that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Depends how much your time is worth.

Parting it out would likely net the most money, but it will cost some time.

Sell as is would be the quickest and easiest.  Is there a market for a 20 year old Subaru that doesn’t run?  If not, sell the wheels and tires and scrap the rest.

If you look around there are lots of companies and nonprofits that will buy your old beater for about $200 or so, regardless of condition.

My current car is an 04 Honda, 300,000 KM on it. Its been a good reliable car but its just too old and breaking down, time to move on. 

I'm looking for a used car, my budget with all taxes and fees is about $20K, i'm financing the car. I'm willing to go a little over if i love the car cuz hopefully this will last me at least 5 years, ideally 7-10. The features i would like most are bluetooth, sunroof, backup camera, and blind spot sensor. Navigation is w/e, i don't like the cars navigation system usually, i prefer to use waze. Heated steering wheel for the winter (i'm canadian) is also a plus but most cars i'm looking at don't have it. I would prefer the car to have around 50,000 KM or less.

I've been looking at all types of cars, right now i'm deciding between a 2017 Corolla, 2015 Sonata (with all the features i want), 2016 Mazda 6, a 2017 Acura TLX. All are around the budget, maybe $1K over but not too big a deal.

The Sonata is the cheapest at about $17K pre-tax, has the most features, and only 35,000 KM. That's what i'm leaning towards now. But i've heard Hyundai isn't the best automaker.

I'm just looking mainly for a commuter car to and from work, and the occasional drive to some friends who live 45 minutes away from me (suburb to suburb). 

Any recommendations or insight i should know about any of the process? I've never bought a car before (my current car was passed down to me from my parents) so i've never negotiated a deal, etc.

Edited by 49ersfan

On 3/19/2019 at 10:30 PM, 49ersfan said:

My current car is an 04 Honda, 300,000 KM on it. Its been a good reliable car but its just too old and breaking down, time to move on. 

I'm looking for a used car, my budget with all taxes and fees is about $20K, i'm financing the car. I'm willing to go a little over if i love the car cuz hopefully this will last me at least 5 years, ideally 7-10. The features i would like most are bluetooth, sunroof, backup camera, and blind spot sensor. Navigation is w/e, i don't like the cars navigation system usually, i prefer to use waze. Heated steering wheel for the winter (i'm canadian) is also a plus but most cars i'm looking at don't have it. I would prefer the car to have around 50,000 KM or less.

I've been looking at all types of cars, right now i'm deciding between a 2017 Corolla, 2015 Sonata (with all the features i want), 2016 Mazda 6, a 2017 Acura TLX. All are around the budget, maybe $1K over but not too big a deal.

The Sonata is the cheapest at about $17K pre-tax, has the most features, and only 35,000 KM. That's what i'm leaning towards now. But i've heard Hyundai isn't the best automaker.

I'm just looking mainly for a commuter car to and from work, and the occasional drive to some friends who live 45 minutes away from me (suburb to suburb). 

Any recommendations or insight i should know about any of the process? I've never bought a car before (my current car was passed down to me from my parents) so i've never negotiated a deal, etc.

You might as well get the Toyota Coralla brand new and call it a day with 20k. 

On 3/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, GHARMON9 said:

You might as well get the Toyota Coralla brand new and call it a day with 20k. 

I found a 2017 Corolla with 42K KM for $17K, considering that.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:33 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@49ersfan, have you looked at Subaru at all?

This is pretty close to what you’re describing and Subaru’s are beasts in the snow as they’re all AWD.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/762815014/overview/

I found a 2015 Legacy for $19K, i like the AWD and it'll help for sure. However i read that the acceleration isn't the best? 

I might go for a test drive tomorrow. 

If i can't find anything i really like, i might just go Civic. Thats my backup car- i know it'll be reliable for another 10-15 years.

50 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I found a 2017 Corolla with 42K KM for $17K, considering that.

I found a 2015 Legacy for $19K, i like the AWD and it'll help for sure. However i read that the acceleration isn't the best? 

I might go for a test drive tomorrow. 

If i can't find anything i really like, i might just go Civic. Thats my backup car- i know it'll be reliable for another 10-15 years.

Legacy’s aren’t fast, but they aren’t really meant to be.

If you want something sporty, look at the WRX.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Legacy’s aren’t fast, but they aren’t really meant to be.

If you want something sporty, look at the WRX.

Looks like a good car, a little out of my price range however :( 

I've kind of determined that this current car i'm purchasing, i don't need it to be one i love, just like. The next car i purchase, if im able to purchase one in the next 5-7 years, would be one i love, one that i don't have to compromise on. 

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Looks like a good car, a little out of my price range however :( 

20k right?  

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/761914296/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/760229338/overview/

2 within 20 miles of me.

Make sure you’re looking at the “base” and not the STI, those are more expensive.