The Car Thread

Dome

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If that's the future of cars, i'm unsubscribing.

There's nothing "futuristic" about stupid awful boring electric individual cars.  The better future, is mass transit which is orders of magnitude more efficient than any individual car will ever be.  We need to get there.  So people who actually enjoy cars, don't have to put up with a billion Teslas self-driving around like derpy robots in the wrong lane.

Yes in cities, but America is too spread out for that overall. There's a definite future in self driving family vehicles. 

The future I see is uber owned vehicles that you order up, take where you need, and it goes to the next place when it's done. 

You subscribe to the service like a phone plan, and don't need to own a car anymore. Garages everywhere grow full of people's crap. Oh wait that last part already happens. 

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Literally buying a vehicle without driving it.  Just waiting.  The pinnacle of consumerism.  So impressed, i want one.  Can i order it on Amazon?

How have you even been driven in them a bunch though, actually?  Aren't they literally all just demo vehicles at this point?

Seems aggressive 

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

There's nothing "futuristic" about stupid awful boring electric individual cars.  The better future, is mass transit which is orders of magnitude more efficient than any individual car will ever be.  We need to get there.  So people who actually enjoy cars, don't have to put up with a billion Teslas self-driving around like derpy robots in the wrong lane.

Whew lad

Hopefully someone enjoying a product hasn’t ruined your day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Whew lad

Hopefully someone enjoying a product hasn’t ruined your day.

He does have a bit of a point though.

Those Tesla trucks are butt fugly.  I don't get the appeal.  It's like they designed it through the lens of the 80's vision of the future.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I'm concerned about the life of batteries first and foremost. Are they really getting over 300k like it's suggested?

Not sure, but those batteries are really a hot item on the open market as car dudes convert combustion-cars to electric
I've seen the electric conversions done on some muscle cars, Ferrari's and vintage classics -  several companies are offering the service- but they all say getting the batteries from scrapped collisions is the rate-limiting step.

The self-driving application that makes the most sense to me is this:

You drive to the bar, the car drives you home.

It doesn't need to do anything more than re-trace your route and deliver you safely into your driveway.
The first one who patents and makes this possible wins big. Its a simple add-on module to your current car and takes drunks off the road. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

He does have a bit of a point though.

Those Tesla trucks are butt fugly.  I don't get the appeal.  It's like they designed it through the lens of the 80's vision of the future.

I mean. I think it looks amazing. It’s certainly not a prototypical “truck” like every other truck out there.

And he complained about the cars being “stupid and non futuristic”... Where Tesla’s are some of the smartest & safest cars on the road & fully electric with good/great specs.

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

I mean. I think it looks amazing. It’s certainly not a prototypical “truck” like every other truck out there.

And he complained about the cars being “stupid and non futuristic”... Where Tesla’s are some of the smartest & safest cars on the road & fully electric with good/great specs.

Yeah my post really had nothing to do with anything.  Someone mentioned the Tesla truck and i wanted to take the opportunity to complain about how dumb i think it looks.  That's all.

I won't argue that their features aren't great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Don’t unsubscribe just yet. Electric cars can be really fun, but they have to make them work For the average consumer before we start to see the enthusiast versions. You have to remember that the first Tesla car was an Elise with the drivetrain swapped for an electric system. They can do it, but right now we’re in the discovery or show off phase. 

Even looking at regular cars, the performance segment isn’t doing well. Using the Civic as an example, Honda will sell 1 Si for every 1,000 base models, and 2,000 Si for every Type R. They’re still on the super high end, and the base right now. Eventually they’ll hit the middle, and then the fun stuff comes. 

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah my post really had nothing to do with anything.  Someone mentioned the Tesla truck and i wanted to take the opportunity to complain about how dumb i think it looks.  That's all.

I won't argue that their features aren't great.

Mah man

• Like 1

The Cybertruck looks the way that it does because the body needs to be made from SST sheet metal (which is what the SpaceX Starship will be made from). That way when your rocket lands on Mars you can disassemble it and turn it into rovers.

The Cybertruck is just way to generate a bit of cash flow while testing out options for the Mars rovers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The Cybertruck looks the way that it does because the body needs to be made from SST sheet metal (which is what the SpaceX Starship will be made from). That way when your rocket lands on Mars you can disassemble it and turn it into rovers.

The Cybertruck is just way to generate a bit of cash flow while testing out options for the Mars rovers.

100%

Havent and will never put down a $100 interest free loan with a company.

But if it does ever come out I am very interested in it 

21 minutes ago, Glen said:

100%

Havent and will never put down a $100 interest free loan with a company.

But if it does ever come out I am very interested in it 

Until Tesla starts it's own finance company, you're not seeing 0%. When they do start doing that, they're going to have to make a lot more vehicles.