Broncos v Chargers - 3:25 pm ATX Time

champ11

23 hours ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Pat Smyth just quoted Joseph saying that he is firmly remaining in Siemian’s corner. "Trevor is our guy."

I think they have to say that. If Vance came out and even said something as vanilla as "we're going to evaluate the QB position this week," that would cause a huge firestorm and even Vance is smart enough to know that. Like I said earlier, I think this Trevor's make-or-break week. If he plays as poorly in KC as he did against New York and San Diego, we're going to risk a divided locker room. Vance (and everyone) made the right call with Trevor coming out of camp - and I think everyone here acknowledges that - but lets see, if Trevor struggles again a change will be necessary. 

And the way the schedule works out, it makes perfect sense to make the change (and it will be to Brock, I don't think Paxton will be fully healthy this year, look at Luck in Indy) after the KC game. If you make a QB change it would be best to make that change ahead of a road game, at Philly, rather than before we host the Pats on Sunday Night Football. 

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think with the Niners being highly likely to end up with a top-5 pick and be the leading favorites to sign Kirk Cousins, there's a strong possibility they look to move down and stockpile picks. Clearly they are after picks, they tried trading Navarro Bowman before releasing him. Kyle/Lynch/Peters know that they have least-talented roster in the NFL and want to build through the draft. Thus would be a prime candidate for us to trade up with for a QB, the good relationship between Elway and Lynch only helps that possibility. 

For sure, a possibility - just that we're outgunned in a big way with draft capital.  BUF has 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds.  CLE has 2 firsts, 3 seconds and 2 3rds IIRC.   The Giants will only have to let the 49ers move back a few spots and pay a ransom to do it.  The Jets will be closer to a pick to trade back to.   ARI losing Carson Palmer will finish well behind us.    

Moving up from say 20 to 12 costs a lot - KC had to trade their 1st and 3rd in addition to the #25 pick to move to #12.  But moving up to the top 3 is on another level of price...which we just can't match when we look at the other teams who will be bidding, besides the 49ers.  

Believe me, I'd love to see it...but when you look at how many teams need a QB, and the draft capital they own, I just don't see it.   We're outgunned by at least 4-5 other teams besides CLE/NYG, when it comes to moving up to get an elite ceiling, top 2 QB - they're going in the top 3 picks by all accounts.

17 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

lol. You think this coaching staff is that creative? Zaire will get Todd's snaps and be just as poor in coverage. Its the Denver way.

That being said, its the right move to stick with Trevor. The best of bad options at this point.

I was really hoping NO crumbled this season so we had a chance at Brees, but they might win that division. I think this is Eli's last year in NY, and don't hate the idea of swinging for the fences with him. Clearly regressing but we have seen downward trending veterans leave a team and regain steam on a new squad. And Eli clearly would have interest with his brother having a good relation w/ our FO. We have the talent to win a SB with decent OL and QB play, it may make sense to go the vet route and try to maximize that before Von starts to decline and Talib ends up slowing down.

Drafting another R1 QB in 2018 probably wont make many veterans on this defense too happy. We need to pick a side, rebuild and disassemble the defense for picks and youth or try and get another ring on their backs with a veteran QB at the helm. I hope for the latter. We still have it defensively but it wont last forever.

Re: ILB and creativity, yeah, I see your point.   It killed me watching Todd Davis get burned by Hunter Henry.  The only reason we didn't see it more often was LAC didn't need to throw that much.   Otherwise he would have put up a ridiculous line like say 7/120 on us.

Re: 2018 QB options, I think the most likely option and one we have to consider is Tyrod Taylor.     Brees isn't leaving NO for the reasons you said - they have a run game, and a much improved D, and they've got a functional OL (and the other 1st round LT, taken 12 picks later, Ryan Ramczyk, has really done well at LT when needed after the starter went down, and now is back to RT).

Eli is just done, he sees ghosts with any pressure - horrible fit for our OL.  Taylor works better because we'd need his mobility.  Plus, he'd be in the midprice range, which given our cap situation, I think we'd have to consider as well.   

I do agree drafting another rookie for a win-now D isn't plan A, especially if it's not one of the top 2 QB's (and as I outlined in the earlier replies, seems highly, highly, highly doubtful).   If BUF parts ways with Tyrod, as they seem prepared to do, it's our best fit, given we don't have the draft capital for a top elite ceiling rookie QB, and won't have the $ for a Cousins type signing (SF has us horribly outgunned with nearly 110M+ in cap space lol, CLE has 105M+ IIRC).

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Tyrod or Alex Smith (lol) could be good options 

I'm just afraid as crazy as it sounds....that Alex Smith is going to price himself out of our range (but yeah, he fits the bill too).  Who would think Alex Smith would be beyond our financial reach in 2018.   Crazy times.

17 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'm just afraid as crazy as it sounds....that Alex Smith is going to price himself out of our range (but yeah, he fits the bill too).  Who would think Alex Smith would be beyond our financial reach in 2018.   Crazy times.

Well you know how I feel about Taylor. He's playing well once again with no real weapons. Would love to see him here. Easily a starting caliber QB. Pay him and draft an OL again early 

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Well you know how I feel about Taylor. He's playing well once again with no real weapons. Would love to see him here. Easily a starting caliber QB. Pay him and draft an OL again early 

His escapability would be pretty handy with this year's line

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

I'd love to have Taylor as our QB. I think @champ11 and I are probably his biggest fans in this forum doe.

I'll hop on that as well! He seems to be the rare underrated QB, would make for a good stop gap (as opposed to developing an early 1st rounder).

Yeah if Siemian isn't the answer, sign me up for Taylor as well.   His mobility and his ability to throw the deep ball would be huge assets for our OL, DT & Sanders.  The only fly in the ointment is if BUF makes the playoffs.   The FO could change their minds on questioning if he's the guy to invest in long-term.  This offseason is the year they can cut ties, so in a lot of ways, we are probably rooting for BUF to miss the playoffs, and the FO to stick with their assessment to look elsewhere (only reason they re-did the contract with Tyrod this offseason was to give them a clear out after this year).

I don't get the love with Taylor he's 4 and 17 when trailing by 4 or more points in the 4th quarter. 

I also don't get why they're keeping Siemian in Chiefs are 30th in the league against the pass. And it would do wonders for Lynch or Brock to face them my guess is Lynch isn't ready.

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well my opinion of the OL coach goes up if this move sticks.  No idea how Day lasted this long.  

Troy Renck (@TroyRenck)

#Broncos waive OL Dillon Day. No corresponding move yet. Shane Ray expects to be back this week. TE Jake Butt might need little more time

must have been the hair..only positive thing I could think of.

So Butt seems to have had a setback - not practicing.  Given we have 3 weeks to decide, I'd guess IR is coming.

On the good news front, Latimer & McKenzie are back at practice.  We certainly could use the WR depth with Latimer, and McKenzie returning punts.   Doesn't seem like Stephenson is ready yet...which TBH, other than depth, I'm not sure is a plus or minus at this stage (and yeah, that's really bad, when our OL is as bad as it is in its present form...which really is the faintest of praise to say it's good to get him back so we can have another body to throw at the problem.  Certainly will take Shane Ray coming back, hopefully we get more good news as MNF approaches.

https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/923242504178221056

Injured Bronco besides Shane Ray w/best chance of returning vs KC is Isaiah McKenzie. Not sure about Sanders, Latimer, Watson. #9sports

Archived