Is the Saints defense legit?

Breesus mode

Are they legit?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are they legit?

• Yes
    • No

The defense has played out of their minds already posting great performances the last 3 weeks. Even though the score against the Lions would have you believe it was a poor performance, they only gave up 24 points, and scored 21 themselves. However, they were terrible the first two weeks. So, do you think we have a good defense, or it mostly a paper tiger?

They were 32nd or 31st in a lot of categories for the first 2 weeks, and have been 1st in a lot of categories since. 2 very different extremes here. I think they'll average out and we'll be pretty middle of the pack, which is definitely legit when you consider our past defenses. 

Cam Jordan and Marshon Lattimore are among the best defensive players in the league. I expect those two to be great indefinitely. 

Of course it’s imposdible for the Saints defense to keep up their pace from the three prior games, but I think that there is pretty good evidence that the past three games weren’t a fluke. Their defense also dominated the preseason (yes...it’s the preseason...but I think the first two games were probably closer to a fluke). Two huge changes since week 2 is Ken Crawley at CB2 and Craig Robertson at WLB...both have been huge upgrades. The Saints will be getting Delvin Breaux back shortly from injury to help their DB depth.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Cam Jordan and Marshon Lattimore are among the best defensive players in the league.

I will give you a pass for this given the Saints’ defense this decade. 

I think they’re on track to becoming a really, really solid defense. They went about it correctly - use picks (and pick well) on the defensive side of the ball and fill in with capable (but not all star) veterans. The veterans allow the team to be competent and provide mentor ship to the younger players, at a solid cost that won’t hinder their cap like a mega deal would. I think a lot of great defenses are built this way and the Saints could get there if A) they draft well, B) they develop the talent, and C) they spend money in the right places. Definitely positive steps.

I think they are a middle of the pack defense that is having a great run right now, but probably won't sustain it over the long haul.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing though.  It isn't like Brees needs an elite defense.  Just one that is good enough, which the Saints D has the potential to be.

not sure but I think they will be pretty good..  I thought they were OK against the Vikings in the first quarter until things got out of hand and it seemed they just packed it in.  

I also think it may be a flash in the pan type of thing like the Bucs had last year for the last 7 or so games...   They looked great and this year with the same people including some upgrades look like the saints D from the past and can't stop anything.

Archived