2021 NFL Draft: Day One Thread

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I think you are underestimating two things.

#1 - How good Ryan Fitzpatrick really is when he isn't on a bad team. - I know some of you will murder me for this, but this is easily the best team that he has been a part of.

#2 - How much impact player fit has on a successful season. - Hear me out. I know there are A LOT of fans that haven't "bought in", but its very obvious the players who are here have bought in. This team is going to play their butts off for their head coach. You listen to any of the leaders on this team, the culture inside the locker room has changed. This team buckled down after sub-par QB play (at best) for the entirety of the season and played the eventual SB Champs tough in the postseason.

I can agree that Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably going to be better than I expect, but even that is not going to be good enough for us to go on a playoff run or really even make the playoffs IMO which is the only reason you’d sign a 38 year old QB (39 in November). You sign a guy like that because he could deliver a Super Bowl or make you a contender, Fitz improves our QB play to average, but not SB contender level.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I just want to point out this should be the first and last reference to this since it's quite possible that Davis's parents were in barely in grade school when this song came out.

You better get used to it! 😂 And, it’s actually the 2nd time I used it tbh! 😂 

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick has played on like every team in the league. The Jets team he was on was pretty good. So was the Bills teams. He’s just not a good QB. I won’t crush you for having an opinion because that’s not fair. I just don’t see how Ryan Fitzpatrick elevates this team? 

Nah, those teams really weren’t they good. At best they were average. In Fitz’s best year when he was with the Jets I remember is losing to them in NY in Kirk’s worst game of the year and we still should’ve won that game! Their team wasn’t that good.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t see how Ryan Fitzpatrick elevates this team? 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I can agree that Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably going to be better than I expect, but even that is not going to be good enough for us to go on a playoff run or really even make the playoffs IMO which is the only reason you’d sign a 38 year old QB (39 in November). You sign a guy like that because he could deliver a Super Bowl or make you a contender, Fitz improves our QB play to average, but not SB contender level.

What has been our #1 hiccup with our offensive performances in recent years (pretty much since Kirk Cousins left)? Indecisive, inaccurate, cowardly QB play. That's what excited us so much in the playoff game. A QB for this franchise showed his balls to the world in his only start of the season. Ryan Fitzpatrick is always that guy. He goes balls out all the time. Now there will definitely be bad with the good, I'm not calling him the next MVP, but he is 100% better than what we had last year and definitely better than any QB sans Lawrence.

Edited by Slappy Mc

12 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

What has been our #1 hiccup with our offensive performances in recent years (pretty much since Kirk Cousins left)? Indecisive, inaccurate, cowardly QB play. That's what excited us so much in the playoff game. A QB for this franchise showed his balls to the world in his only start of the season. Ryan Fitzpatrick is always that guy. He goes balls out all the time. Now there will definitely be bad with the good, I'm not calling him the next MVP, but he is 100% better than what we had last year and definitely better than any QB sans Lawrence.

You had me until you said he’s better than the other QBs in the draft but Lawrence. Maybe for a year or two, but in time several of the other QBs in this draft besides just Lawrence will be better than Fitz. Fitz at best is an average starter. He’s never even throw for 4,000 yards although he did come close when with the Jets & he did have 31 TDs that year. Still, he’s kinda meh & ehhh. Sure better than a one legged Alex Smith, Haskins, Heinicke & Allen but that’s an extremely low bar. I’ll be shocked if we make the playoffs this year.

If I’m being truly honest my ceiling for Fitz this year is:

68%, 4200 yds & I can see him throwing for 30 TDs like he did for the Jets but, I also think he’ll throw for 15 or more ints.

Will those ints cost us many games? I doubt it bc our D is going to be as good maybe even better than last year but, I don’t think Fitz gets us a playoff win even if we do sneak in as a wildcard.

I think the Cowboys take the division this year. I think they’ll win 10 games, maybe even 11 and we’ll win 9 at most.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

You had me until you said he’s better than the other QBs in the draft but Lawrence. Maybe for a year or two, but in time several of the other QBs in this draft besides Lawrence will be better than Fitz. Fitz at best is an average starter. He’s never even throw for 4,000 yards although he did come close when with the Jets & he did have 31 TDs that year. Still, he’s kinda meh ehhh. Sure better than a one legged Alex Smith, Haskins, Heinicke & Allen but that’s an extremely low bar. I’ll be shocked if we make the playoffs this year.

Thats the point. This defense can win now. Believe it or not, this team should still be the front runner for the division. We signed a pretty good #2 WR. We have a reliable slot WR. We added a serviceable OG with history with the franchise. We signed some Chilean bodybuilding super athlete to play TE. We already know what we have on defense, but now we don't have to rely on Jon Bostic to anchor be out of position anymore.

I truly believe if we had Fitzpatrick on our team last year, we will more games and don't lose to the Giants at all. I literally beat the drum when the season ended that he was our best option sans a trade.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Thats the point. This defense can win now. Believe it or not, this team should still be the front runner for the division. We signed a pretty good #2 WR. We have a reliable slot WR. We added a serviceable OG with history with the franchise. We signed some Chilean bodybuilding super athlete to play TE. We already know what we have on defense, but now we don't have to rely on Jon Bostic to anchor be out of position anymore.

I truly believe if we had Fitzpatrick on our team last year, we will more games and don't lose to the Giants at all. I literally beat the drum when the season ended that he was our best option sans a trade.

Do you think Bostic will play one of the OLB positions or do you think it’ll be Holcomb, Davis, Collins out there?

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

You’re forgetting that last year we played a last place schedule, this year we play a first place schedule and the Cowboys will be better this year because they’ll have Dak back, their starting OTs back, their All-Pro starting RG back, their D is moving back to the 4-3 which their D was average at two years ago before Nolan came in switched them to a 3-4 & no one knew what they were doing.

Sure if we had Fitz starting every game last year we probably win 9 games - I could say the same for if Alex started every game too - but regardless, we still would’ve lost to the Bucs in the playoffs. 

The end result would’ve been the same.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Do you think Bostic will play one of the OLB positions or do you think it’ll be Holcomb, Davis, Collins out there?

You gotta imagine it will be a combination of them. If we are in a standard 4-3, I could see Davis - Bostic - Holcomb. But definitely when you talk passing situations, it should be Collins - Davis - Holcomb with Collins playing a hybrid role.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re forgetting that last year we played a last place schedule, this year we play a first place schedule

Keep in mind that the difference between a first place and a last place schedule is two games out of sixteen (or now three out of seventeen)

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re forgetting that last year we played a last place schedule, this year we play a first place schedule and the Cowboys will be better this year because they’ll have Dak back, their starting OTs back, their All-Pro starting RG back, their D is moving back to the 4-3 which their D was average at two years ago before Nolan came in switched them to a 3-4 & no one knew what they were doing.

Sure if we had Fitz starting every game last year we probably win 9 games - I could say the same for if Alex started every game too - but regardless, we still would’ve lost to the Bucs in the playoffs. 

The end result would’ve been the same.

I'm not buying any Dallas Cowboy hype. They hardly have an elite OL anymore and Dak's mobility will be a big question mark coming into next season. Zeke looked average behind their OL and there defense regardless of alignment was atrocious. They came up big with Parsons in the draft, but that doesn't solve their secondary and DL woes.

I think we show the entire NFL, not just our division, that we are for real.