2021: 01.14 - Jets select OG Alijah Vera-Tucker

Bianconero

JD knocked it out of the park.  Gave up like 45 points on the trade chart to secure a possible All-Pro OG.  

No question he's working the phones to move down a few spots to get a 3 back.

Now we got two picks in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds so hopefully he uses them to get back into round 3.  We can essentially get two 3rds back before the day is over tomorrow.

Got to love the way he moves around the draft.  Seems like he always is getting great value.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

JD knocked it out of the park.  Gave up like 45 points on the trade chart to secure a possible All-Pro OG.  

No question he's working the phones to move down a few spots to get a 3 back.

Now we got two picks in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds so hopefully he uses them to get back into round 3.  We can essentially get two 3rds back before the day is over tomorrow.

Got to love the way he moves around the draft.  Seems like he always is getting great value.

Exactly. More than enough ammo to use those later picks and get into the 3rd

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

It all makes sense why we did not go after OL in FA. We kind of assumed JD would target iOL early but AVT was a pipe dream. JD is playing this perfectly. 

Yeah can't blame Joe for not getting Thuney when he got a record deal with a SB contending team. But we now added a 21 year old OG with all pro potential to play next to our stud 22 year old LT. 

Joe Douglas is not looking to fail Zach Wilson like they failed Sam Darnold.  This team has a direction and is building the right way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

OL early is rarely a bad choice. Especially with a you g QB.

Love it.

With no 3rds now. What we do at 34 is big now. Go all O and go OL, RB or WR?

Ir add a defender. With going OL... I won’t be too upset about going D now at 34. But I would love Etienne, Harris or Williams now at 34. Bc now we’d have to wait until the 4tg or later for a RB. You could kiss away the next couple tiers of RBs now.

I've been warming up to the all-offense idea lately. Anything to make Zach Wilson pan out. We have a mastermind defensive coach for a reason. 

I think we might trade down tbh. Recoup some picks. But there's some fantastic talent on the board still, and Javonte Williams is the last of the top backs left.

I'm not a big fan of this. I think we gave up too much to move up. This years draft class is pretty loaded at OL and I think we could have done better. Now if we traded a little higher and got D. Smith I would be a lot more happy. I hope he turns into a stud but these OL guys are hard to judge. 

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I'm not a big fan of this. I think we gave up too much to move up. This years draft class is pretty loaded at OL and I think we could have done better. Now if we traded a little higher and got D. Smith I would be a lot more happy. I hope he turns into a stud but these OL guys are hard to judge. 

I can understand your point. With the number of starting caliber iOL that would have been available at 23 or 34, we could have saved those two thirds. But AVT has something those guys may not - immediate scheme fit and proven versatility.  Many like Jenkins for OG. He has never played OG. He could very well do fine but it would be a question mark. Many liked Creed, Dickerson, Wade, etc. but they are all strictly iOL. The point is that AVT brings proven high level talent to OG or OT. How comforting is it knowing that if Becton has to take a few plays off, AVT could slide over to LT.  And let’s not forget the medical issues. I don’t believe AVT has any.

Also, JD seems to have a man crush on him. If we had kept Sam and traded down, AVT would have been the target. When a GM has a specific player rated highly, go get him. Don’t **** around. Quality over quantity. I really want to start seeing our drafted players make it to their second contract.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I wasn't big on this either until I realized AVT only had 2 sacks allowed (both to Kayvon Thibodeaux) and 2 holding penalties on 849 snaps... from left tackle. He will be playing left guard for us and that's his proper position. He projects much better at a position where he won't be in as much space, rather he can showcase his NFL traits in his strength and ability to get to the next level. He was the best fit for what we need, and Joe Douglas, knowing how important it is to have a good line for his rookie QB (which also shows that he learned from his mistakes with Sam) got aggressive and made the move up for him.

I don't think it's unrealistic to think we may take one of our 4ths and a 2022 draft pick to move into round 3.