Round One, Pick 19: Washington selects Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

I kept saying. We wernt a qb away from beating Tampa. We were a LB away from winning that game.

So glad this route was taken. Even if Ill have to put up with over dramatic whining about how we need to lose every game next year for a qb. Let them pound on that pacifier. Defense is the way. SEC SEC SEC!

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I kept saying. We wernt a qb away from beating Tampa. We were a LB away from winning that game.

So glad this route was taken. Even if Ill have to put up with over dramatic whining about how we need to lose every game next year for a qb. Let them pound on that pacifier. Defense is the way. SEC SEC SEC!

Showtime Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

I really was cheering every time Darrisaw wasnt picked, but I am warming up to the fact that we are building a top defense.  He is great and super athletic, I am weary of anybody that rises that much in their pro day.  I'll be good as lond as long as we target OL tomorrow.  their is a solid second teir, that I am not sure that CD was that far above.   Glad we didnt reac on our own board, and I think we would be in the same weird place if Jones had dropped to us. 

Like everyone else, it seems, I was a Darrisaw fan. It felt like all the pieces were there for Matsko to put the finishing touches on — long arms, go-go gadget punch, pretty good pass pro, terrific second level run blocking, elite college production. But I saw a few indications today that they weren’t in on him, and that combined with the core surgery news, had me pretty well-prepared for the fact that they weren’t going to pull the trigger on him. 

Davis was my #2 LB in the draft, based on the film and the workout numbers. I don’t have as much access to the personality/character info as these guys, so it’s entirely possible he would’ve been #1 based on his great character and Parsons being a jackass. I think what you see when you watch him is a little indecisiveness, which makes his play speed look a bit slower than his timed speed at the moment, but a really natural ability to play both the run and the pass. I think he’s got too to grow as well, and we’ve got the right guys on staff to help him think the game faster and more clearly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dutch DC Football Fan said:

And defense it is! We are creating a top D. We really needed LB, so I’m fine with.

Personnaly I would have gone for Darrisaw to have a good LT again, but having a great D will be fun

Not me. With a QB out of reach because we ended up at #19, we needed to draft a LB. And if the one we wanted wasnt there, I wanted us to trade down.

The LT situation is fine. We can address it in Day 2. With Flowers back, the left side should be fine 

• Like 2

Slept on it. Here are my thoughts.

One, this draft grade could very well be an F for the reasons of: there were two franchise QBs within reach and we didn't pounce on either one of them. For an extra first rounder next year, and some loose change, we could have gotten Justin Fields - a guy I admittedly am not the highest on, but a lot of people are. Secondly, we could have gotten Mac Jones - a guy I am a little higher on than most are, for what amounted to probably a 3rd and a 6th. That also seems worth it for someone people think could be great. Yes, I know the fit might not be perfect, but OCs, good OCs, can make it perfect. Some of you said yesterday "it just shows the staff has faith in Heinicke and Allen!" Yeah, that's why they went out and paid Fitzpatrick $10 million to come be the starter. The franchise could have been set at QB after Fitz, and we sat on our hands. Let's see if that comes back to bite us in the butt.

Okay, now, taking the QB situation out, or assuming both bust and we did the smart thing and took "our guy". This is probably a B- for me right now. I get so leery of combine risers (and for good reason as history shows). I believe we will get a productive linebacker here, I do - especially behind our line. But I also don't think this guy is Kuechly like some of you seem to be banking on. With Darrisaw on the board, I truly believe we could have shored up LT, and then gotten a similar MLB in the 2nd. There's a 2nd tier of guys that will be in that range. It would have been a great 1-2 combo imo.

That said, I do prefer this pick over JOK. I just didn't see his fit here even if JOK might be the better prospect. There's a reason why he fell out of the first round, but some of you didn't want to hear it yesterday. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Post of the Night! 

• Like 1

One thing I Love Love Love about Jamin Davis when I watch him. Is he is not your new school defensive player that throws his shoulder at people and ducks his head down. He seems to wrap up really well, reminds me of Zach Cunningham when he was at Vanderbilt. I think Jamin Davis is going to be a very solid player for us. Probably not super flashy, but a leader and solid production. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Post of the Night! 

Amazing though from PH, the guy who’s been whining for over a year that we shouldn’t take Chase Young and that we still shouldn’t have taken Chase just yesterday despite the difference that Chase made for our entire team in just one season last year! PH has been sucking on that pacifier for a year and will be for probably the next decade plus.

MLB has been a need since London Fletcher left town. Replacement-level players have filled the gap and it was a clear need. Finally having some speed and athleticism at the MLB position is exciting. We saw what kind of impact Devin White/Lavonte David had on a team with a strong DL. 

There is plenty of OT depth in this draft and we should be able to find value in the 2nd or 3rd round with the 3 picks we have there.

I hope we can find some mix of OT, TE, WR and QB in the mid-rounds. I don’t see S as much as a need, but we’ll see. 

• Like 2