NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

This deal makes no sense (from a Rams perspective). 

They give up a 2nd round pick for a top 10 WR in Sammy Watkins last year, then let him walk because they don’t want to pay him top receiver money. So, instead of paying Watkins this year, they trade a 1st round pick for Cook, a top 15 receiver, who’s on his option year in 2018, and will most likely be looking for a similar contract as Watkins. 

I may be in the minority, but Les Snead is just not a very good GM. 

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This deal makes no sense (from a Rams perspective). 

They give up a 2nd round pick for a top 10 WR in Sammy Watkins last year, then let him walk because they don’t want to pay him top receiver money. So, instead of paying Watkins this year, they trade a 1st round pick for Cook, a top 15 receiver, who’s on his option year in 2018, and will most likely be looking for a similar contract as Watkins. 

I may be in the minority, but Les Snead is just not a very good GM. 

I mean I think that they didn't want to give Watkins that money because he is not a top 10 receiver. I think Cooks is a better receiver than Watkins. I didn't agree with the 2nd rounder for 1 year of Watkins, but they'll recoup a 3rd rounder for that. I don't love the Cooks trade either, but I'd rather invest in Cooks than Watkins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Brandin Cooks to the Rams for #23 and change.

What are the Pats up to?

No, the question is really what are the Rams up to?  Because with all the moves they've made, they're setting themselves up for disaster.  

Making moves for sure. I know fans are worried/curious about our cap situation with the signing of Cousins but the Rams appears to be an interesting study as well. I'm no cap wizard but this is showing ~$81.4M in space for 2019. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/2019/

Notable 2019 FA's for the Rams:

Brandin Cooks
Rodger Saffold (starting guard?)
Rob Havenstein (starting guard?)
Ndamukong Suh
Aaron Donald
LaMarcus Joyner

I believe 2020 FA's will be:

Todd Gurley (5th year option?)
Marcus Peters (5th year option?)
Michael Brockers

This doesn't account for Goff. Not saying they're in trouble by any means but it will be an interesting situation to monitor/follow. 

• Like 1

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski will fly to Seattle on Tuesday to meet with the Seahawks, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The former Raiders kicker also visited the Chargers. The Seahawks began the process of replacing Blair Walsh when they signed Jason Myers in January, but coach Pete Carroll has acknowledged the team would like to add another kicker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/09/report-sebastian-janikowski-visiting-seattle/

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

i don’t know the severity of his injury, but I’d certainly bring him in for a physical. 

I was reading elsewhere that because of his dumb ATV injury, he might never be capable of playing at a NFL level.  

Twenty years ago today, the Colts chose Peyton Manning with the No. 1 overall pick. In hindsight, the choice of Manning over Ryan Leaf seems incredibly easy. Manning is headed to the Pro Football Hall of Fame after a record-setting career, and Leaf long ago entered the “biggest-busts-in-history” conversation after starting only 21 career games and going 4-17.

But the choice was harder than it now seems, said Bill Polian, the Colts General Manager in 1998. Polian said his own scouts were split, with half rating Leaf a better prospect.

“There are a lot of people now who have amnesia,” Polian said, via Clark Judge of the Talk of Fame Network. “It was a much tougher choice than people now believe. Those that liked Manning were not terribly anti-Leaf. Those who liked Leaf, for some reason, were vociferously anti-Manning.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/18/today-is-20th-anniversary-of-manning-leaf-draft/