NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

I, personally, think that the Rams aren’t going to have as good of a year as last year. Too many changes in the locker room, too many “disfunctional” voices, and not enough core players to silence them. 

They got rid of, not only, some of their best players, but also their leaders. I think McVay is going to have a tough time controlling what’s coming out of the locker room. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I, personally, think that the Rams aren’t going to have as good of a year as last year. Too many changes in the locker room, too many “disfunctional” voices, and not enough core players to silence them. 

They got rid of, not only, some of their best players, but also their leaders. I think McVay is going to have a tough time controlling what’s coming out of the locker room. 

I agree. And While they will have a very dominant interior, there isn't a lot coming off the edge that scares me. 

But man, the NFC is so much more competitive than the AFC. I could see one of maybe 6 or 7 teams going to the super bowl from the NFC (right now on paper). 

7 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Sam Bradford faces Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh twice this year (if healthy).

Well, he might be healthy the first time. 

Maybe I don’t understand Wade Phillips’ scheme but how does Suh fit with Donald and Brockers? Is one of them playing an edge position or are they rotating or are they lined up next to each other as a 3 man DL?

Philiips dominant 2015 Broncos defense was built on edge pressure from Miller and Ware. With Quinn gone, who do the Rams have to play edge? Is Donald going to? 

Weird to me to double down on expensive one-gap DTs when they don’t have any edge rushers with a track record of success.

They’re paying Suh $14M to play NT? I’m sure he can do it but isn’t he mainly a one gap penetrating DT?

Who’s playing OLB? Last year was Quinn and the ghost of Connor Barwin. Ourlads says it’s Ethan Westbrook and Matt Longacre. Why not sign a pass rusher and save money by signing an actual nose tackle to play 1-tech? Dontari Poe maybe?

I mean in their nickel packages it’s going to be Suh and Donald rushing from the inside as either 1 or 3Techs. Sounds like Wade will move all three of them around  

im pretty sure Wade’s scheme is more of a one gapping scheme too. 

Edited by rpmwr19

15 hours ago, Boda said:

How is it an extra weapon?  If the defender interferes with a catch than how is not awarding them where the ball SHOULD HAVE BEEN an extra weapon? 

This assumes they catch it, which I would admit will happen more times than not. These chunk gains have the potential to shift games, I don't see the harm with the 15 yard penalty as the offense still advances the ball 15 yards and gets 3 (or 4) more downs to get another 1st down. With QBs being able to throw the ball as far as they can it can be a quick and cheap way, in my opinion, to move the ball the length of the field. 

Perhaps the instance that bugs me the most is the under-thrown ball where the WR stops and works back through the DB to get to the ball. Said DB has no idea where the ball is and is entitled to his space on the field and the offensive player initiates the contact. I'll admit I'm also biased since I played defense in HS and college. :D

15 hours ago, Boda said:

1. Please explain and don't be condescending cause you can take that garbage else where. 2. If you don't think defenses would coach their players to do this than idk  what to say because this would instantly become the NFL's version of Hack A Shaq.  

Edit: I also realize that it wouldn't happen on EVERY play,  just any meaningful play where the defender gets beat.

3. This place has gone downhill since I was last around, its like no one is capable of actually having a legitimate discussion without trying to have a pissing contest. 

1. I didn't mean to come off as condescending but you did say "everytime" in another post of yours.

2. I also hate to admit this but this is what we were taught in practice by our coach in college. The fact is I rarely remember seeing it happen on gamedays. These guys are competitors and if they are "beat" (everyone will have their own interpretation of what that is) they may not even have a chance to tackle the guy. And coaches are teaching their guys the right technique but players are going to be beat occasionally it happens. 

3. I'm sorry you feel that way. It appears that you and I will disagree on this matter and perhaps I could've replied with some better posts stating my opinion.

You may find this interesting. Here are the past 4 seasons PI's have averaged out to the following yardages league wide:

2017: 277 calls/4891 = 17.65 yards

2016: 289 calls/4784 = 16.55 yards

2015: 243 calls/4343 = 17.87 yards

2014: 215 calls/3890 yards = 18.09 yards

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?view=team&year=2017

I realize that averages may not be the best metric to use but it is interesting that it does average out pretty close to 15 yards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Boda said:

Please explain and don't be condescending cause you can take that garbage else where.    If you don't think defenses would coach their players to do this than idk  what to say because this would instantly become the NFL's version of Hack A Shaq.  

Edit: I also realize that it wouldn't happen on EVERY play,  just any meaningful play where the defender gets beat.

This place has gone downhill since I was last around, its like no one is capable of actually having a legitimate discussion without trying to have a pissing contest. 

I think if a player legitimately tackles a receiver when he gets beat, then it should be a spot foul...but, incidental interference, like often happens, shouldn't be a spot foul, because it far too often is a game-changing play, which no penalty should be.  It should have an impact, but it shouldn't dramatically change the game.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I think if a player legitimately tackles a receiver when he gets beat, then it should be a spot foul...but, incidental interference, like often happens, shouldn't be a spot foul, because it far too often is a game-changing play, which no penalty should be.  It should have an impact, but it shouldn't dramatically change the game.    

Like I said... this would just turn into a mess if it turns into a judgement call. I can see it now. I truly believe the best way is to either leave it a spot foul, or make it a 15 yard penalty. I actually like both of them. Understand both opinions of either way. I just don’t want to leave more of the game in the refs hands.

• Like 1