Draft Day Grades

xrade

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Why would I be bitching?  

What people aren't understanding is there is an actual strategy and vision between JD and Saleh.  This is rare territory yet people are complaining about very minute things, guys who will be out of the league in 3-4 years.

Yes. It is finally nice to see the HC and GM on the same page. All I ever said is that we could have chosen players that many of us assumed would be better than some that were chosen on day 3. Not just ST players or throw aways in 3-4 years.  I was making a point (not bitching or complaining) that we could have had more sustainable players.  I hope I am proven wrong because that will mean we got players on day 3 that I view (which is an opinion) were not worthy.

That was absolutely no reason to call me an idiot. And bitching or complaining is what we do here. I prefer to call it debating and trying to get a point across. 

21 minutes ago, xrade said:

Yes. It is finally nice to see the HC and GM on the same page. All I ever said is that we could have chosen players that many of us assumed would be better than some that were chosen on day 3. Not just ST players or throw aways in 3-4 years.  I was making a point (not bitching or complaining) that we could have had more sustainable players.  I hope I am proven wrong because that will mean we got players on day 3 that I view (which is an opinion) were not worthy.

That was absolutely no reason to call me an idiot. And bitching or complaining is what we do here. I prefer to call it debating and trying to get a point across. 

It wasn't directed at you or anyone specifically.  There was a handful of guys complaining about the picks today.

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

It wasn't directed at you or anyone specifically.  There was a handful of guys complaining about the picks today.

Perhaps in the future refrain from using the word idiot. One guy got banned on here and I’d hate to lose another valuable contributor. 

1 hour ago, Fort4242 said:

For what it’s worth PFF gave us an A. 

Not too surprised. I was watching their broadcast and they loved pretty much all our picks. The only reason why I doubted they would have giving us an A was because of the AVT trade up. Aside from that, they hardly had anything negative to say.

Robert Saleh's comment on Jason Pinnock was pretty interesting. Seems like analytics played a big role in us liking him. The PFF guys thought he was a great fit for Robert Saleh's defense. Seems like we are using analytics pretty heavily to support our scouting process.

Basically if you look at our draft, the analytics suggest all these guys fit our scheme. The workouts suggest they are great athletes. And the scouting covers their character fit. Along with tape, of course, it's a comprehensive scouting process we have. We should be pumped about that. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

We got my 2nd favorite QB, my top OG, my 4th WR, 4th RB and 5th S (Nas) plus a couple of speedsters in the secondary, so I’m good. We still have about 10-12 roster spots so I still think we pick a CB vet to sort of “mentor” all the kids

B+ with the potential to be a A+

This draft class will be judged based on Wilson. He becomes our franchise QB, then the draft is an A+
What I loved was how the 3 picks after Wilson were all to help him.

AVT will be a stud LG. Making that left side of our OL young and dominant. It’s starts with protecting your young QB and JD gets that.

I’ve been screaming for WRs for us for years. To help these QBs we’ve had. JD got Mims last year, made FA splash with Davis who’s young and talented and followed it up with drafting Moore this year. I love it. Revamped this WR group in 2 years. Moore can do it all. He’s best in the slot, but he will challenge Mims for the outside WR spot as well. Having 5 good WRs is a great problem to have.

After the big trade up we didn’t pick until early Day 3. And I honestly thought, there’s no way we aren’t going defense. Carter or Gainwell was who I wanted. And sure enough we draft Carter. Who if you ask me should start for us right away. And he’s a 3 down back. Stocky, can catch and is quick. Another weapon to help this offense. JD really transformed this offense in a couple drafts. And I love it.

After this is where the draft got confusing for me. Not Bc we went defense. Bc I actually wanted us to go defense heavy the rest of the way. It was the players we drafted. I honestly didn’t think S was much of a need for us with the guys we already have. And I know Saleh likes his S/LB hybrids... but to draft so many? Just didn’t make sense to me. I do actually like Pinnock at CB. I think he can be good in our defense. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting for us 1 day.

I like what we did in the UDFA additions as well. Yeboah should battle for a roster spot as well as Rashed. The SMU K might win the starting job as well. So nice additions there.

Overall I loved the draft Bc of our 1st 4 picks. They were home run picks. And if we can get production out of 2-3 of all these secondary players... it will be nice too.

48 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

B+ with the potential to be a A+

This draft class will be judged based on Wilson. He becomes our franchise QB, then the draft is an A+
What I loved was how the 3 picks after Wilson were all to help him.

AVT will be a stud LG. Making that left side of our OL young and dominant. It’s starts with protecting your young QB and JD gets that.

I’ve been screaming for WRs for us for years. To help these QBs we’ve had. JD got Mims last year, made FA splash with Davis who’s young and talented and followed it up with drafting Moore this year. I love it. Revamped this WR group in 2 years. Moore can do it all. He’s best in the slot, but he will challenge Mims for the outside WR spot as well. Having 5 good WRs is a great problem to have.

After the big trade up we didn’t pick until early Day 3. And I honestly thought, there’s no way we aren’t going defense. Carter or Gainwell was who I wanted. And sure enough we draft Carter. Who if you ask me should start for us right away. And he’s a 3 down back. Stocky, can catch and is quick. Another weapon to help this offense. JD really transformed this offense in a couple drafts. And I love it.

After this is where the draft got confusing for me. Not Bc we went defense. Bc I actually wanted us to go defense heavy the rest of the way. It was the players we drafted. I honestly didn’t think S was much of a need for us with the guys we already have. And I know Saleh likes his S/LB hybrids... but to draft so many? Just didn’t make sense to me. I do actually like Pinnock at CB. I think he can be good in our defense. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting for us 1 day.

I like what we did in the UDFA additions as well. Yeboah should battle for a roster spot as well as Rashed. The SMU K might win the starting job as well. So nice additions there.

Overall I loved the draft Bc of our 1st 4 picks. They were home run picks. And if we can get production out of 2-3 of all these secondary players... it will be nice too.

Our LB depth was pretty bad, not sure how drafting two athletic weakside LBs is too many.  

Don't know a ton about the CBs taken but but we got younger faster and more athletic which is never a bad thing.

I like our slot with Carter II and Guidry and if one of Pinnock or Austin can play opposite Hall we'll be in good shape there.

Between the two LBs hopefully one can be a long term answer at WILL.  

At the very least our special teams should have a nice boost with more speed and athleticism.

This draft is an A for me.  JD crushed it.

3 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Our LB depth was pretty bad, not sure how drafting two athletic weakside LBs is too many.  

Don't know a ton about the CBs taken but but we got younger faster and more athletic which is never a bad thing.

I like our slot with Carter II and Guidry and if one of Pinnock or Austin can play opposite Hall we'll be in good shape there.

Between the two LBs hopefully one can be a long term answer at WILL.  

At the very least our special teams should have a nice boost with more speed and athleticism.

This draft is an A for me.  JD crushed it.

And I get that. Saleh likes these hybrids at LB. So I hope it works.

1 A+ Wilson, 1b A+ Tucker, 2 A+Moore, 4 B+Carter, 5 C+b-Sherwood, 5 C+Carter, 5 C+Pinnock, 6 B+Nasirildeen, 6 C+-B Echols, 6 D-C+Marshall.

All in all the top 5 players will make an impact, Nasirildeen was a steal in the 6th round, the CB position on the Jets at best is in flux or should I say the secondary. Maye is solid, I expect Davis to step up this year, Hall is the only CB I have any confidence in, Austin is up and down. 

So the infusion of talented CB's coming in at best are question marks which could pan out, I like the Sherwood and Nasirildeen picks, Echols could be a late round steal as well. Marshall looks to be groomed, like Fortukasi was, the athleticism is there so who knows.

All in all the Jets made themselves much better in this draft as they will come away with at least 4 starters, Sherwood and Nasirildeen will have to be coached up, and perhaps they will flourish earlier rather than later.

All in all a very promising draft that could turn out to be an exceptional one. As for the top 4 guys, the last time the Jets pick up 4 starters was in 2000 with Pennington, Abraham, Ellis, Becht, Coles. 

Both start off with a QB, both start off with starters on D and O, Becht a first rounder, WR Moore should have gone in round 1, Coles a WR in round 3, Carter in round 3. 

Just a bit interesting, 21 years later.

I give our 2021 draft a B+ the only reason it is not a A is because we had to give away two third round picks to get Moore. The only reason he gave away those two third round is to finally get a RB and shut DOUMEYER UP

But Douglas gets A+ for filling all our offensive needs

As far as fifth & 6 round pick go the chance of any of these guys making the rooster is very slim.

This is the best I felt about our draft in many years

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I give our 2021 draft a B+ the only reason it is not a A is because we had to give away two third round picks to get Moore. The only reason he gave away those two third round is to finally get a RB and shut DOUMEYER UP

But Douglas gets A+ for filling all our offensive needs

As far as fifth & 6 round pick go the chance of any of these guys making the rooster is very slim.

This is the best I felt about our draft in many years

They traded to get AVT not Moore