The Nation vs Mayock Final

drfrey13

I'll go Darrisaw-Moehrig. i feel like including a trade-up of both 3rds for JOK is kinda cheating, so i'll avoid that. hook me up w/ Spencer Brown over Deablo as well, and that's about it. not gonna pretend to know much about the very late picks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized since this yearly thread was brought up in the other thread that I never actually made my official draft even though I listed them for the first few rounds in others. So with that said

Round 1 - Christian Darrishaw, OT, VT - I wanted to avoid going OT in the first, Darrishaw was the only OT prospect I thought had any chance of falling to us that I would have made the exception for. I had him as a top 10 overall prospect and my number 2 OT. Him and Miller would give us bookend tackles with pro bowl to all pro potential for a decade. 

Round 2 - Azeez Ojulari, EDGE UGA - Honestly if Darrishaw wasn't still on the board Ojulari would have been my choice for the pick in rounf 1. I had him as the best EDGE defender in the draft. And I believe he would be a fantastic fit in Bradley's scheme. He isn't the prototypical edge where you put him at DE in a 4-3 on every down and get the most out of him. You have to be creative and let him play to his strengths. He could play some SLB in a traditional 4-3, can be a terror off the edge in the nickel, can play LEO, can blitz from the SLB spot. He's just a great football player. And his versatility works really well with a team that just brought in Yannick and needs to find snaps for Crosby and Ferrell as well. Whatever medical issues there are that caused him to fall this far must be a legitimate concern for a lot of teams. I don't have the information available to me like teams do, or the knowledge to understand it if I did. So I will just go off of talent. If the medical issues were that concerning Moehrig would have been my choice. 

Round 3 - Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State - I typically like the idea of trying to add a guard in the 3rd or 4th round if you are high on them and your interior isn't totally set with high paid, in their prime, locked up starters. Davis is one of the best OG prospects in the draft IMO. A dominant run blocker. Played a lot of games in a tough conference. We have guys like Richie and Good who can start for us in the short term, but Davis could easily earn a starting spot year one. And Davis and Simpson give us 2 guys in the range a lot of high quality interior lineman are drafted that could make us set at guard for the foreseeable future. With Simpson already on the team, Davis being drafted to be a starter at OG and Darrishaw being taken in this hypothetical the OL still has questions and will look different, but a lot has been invested on young, talented, cheap players that have the skills to lock up 3 of the OL spots and provide high level play. If I were actually running the draft and the first 2 rounds went like this, I would have tried as hard as possible to move up to the Jags spot and taken Cisco myself. But we aren't doing things like this in this exercise. 

Round 3 - Bobby Brown III, DT, Texas A&M - Honestly it would have been a toss up between him and Nixon. I gave the edge to Brown because I feel like Bradley prefers his DT to be bigger and stronger at the point of attack to clog running lanes and take on double teams so the lighter, more explosive edges can focus on creating havoc. I liked Nixon, but he's raw. And he really can only be a 3T in a 4-3 in the NFL. Brown on the other hand has enough juice and athleticism to offer some real pass rushing chops on the interior (though not elite potential), but IMO he can also be a very high end starting NT if nothing else. And we currently have little behind Hankins and upgrading from him long term with a NT with some pass rushing ability would be a good thing. His versatility and more proven track record in college against better competition gave him the slight edge for me here. After Barmore who I thought was a second round, high risk and reward type and Onwuzurike who I liked best at DT this DT class at 3T is questionable. We take a guy that could develop some of that or be the long term NT with more pass rush and let Thomas, Jefferson, Irvin and company show what they have. And if they all fail to impress interior pass rush becomes a focus early in the 2022 draft. 

Round 4 - Jamar Johnson, S, IU - With how the draft fell I would be a little bummed that I wasn't able to address safety before now, but I wouldn't reach and take a safety I didn't love early just to take one. Holland and Moehrig were the 2 safeties I felt were worthy of a 2nd round type investment, but I had Ojulari rated higher overall than both pretty significantly and Holland was gone in the 2nd anyway. Cisco was a guy I really liked and believe has high upside but I wouldn't have taken him until the 3rd and the Jags snatched him up with the first pick in that round. So I wait until now and take Johnson. Another S I was high on as a prospect but more towards sleeper territory. I didn't like him as much as some that had him as a second round prospect, but in the 4th I pull the trigger no question. He isn't a perfect scheme fit, and this draft would require signing a stop gap type of player. But it's how it worked out for me. 

Round 5 - Dylan Mosses, LB, Alabama - There honestly might not have been a bigger shock to me in the latter half of the draft than Mosses going undrafted. I mean he isn't without his flaws, but there is absolutely a ton to love as well. Great frame, very good athlete, highly thought of by the team and staff, ton of experience. I evaluated and thought this guy may never be an all pro, but he can easily be a starter in the NFL for a number of years. LB isn't the biggest need, but the long term outlook is uncertain at best. Littelton and KWit haven't played so well we should have them locked in as starters long term. It's definitely not a bad idea to take a guy as talented as Mosses and have him working as depth trying to develop him into more. 

Round 7 - Trill Williams, CB, Syracuse - Williams was a personal favorite DB sleeper in this draft. I would legitimately have started considering him in rounds 5 onwards. He ended up going undrafted, but he has the athletic skills and on field production to be worthy of a selection. He has a ton of starting experience playing nickel and on the outside. He would be a great scheme fit and defensive backfield chess piece that Bradley likes to employ and has had a lot of success with. 

Seems I was a lot higher on guys like Ojulari (probably medical stuff), Mosses, Trill Williams than actual NFL teams with Mosses and Williams going undrafted. I would have been a little bumed I wasn't able to get a guy with more potential to start immediately at FS. But I think there would have been guys we could sign as a stop gap, and upgrading our edge talent, upgrading the OL in a big way with high upside, young, cost controlled players, and adding guys like Brown III, Johnson, Mosses and Williams in the back half of the draft to make the defense more versatile, fast, and tougher would have been the way I went with how the actual draft worked out. Overall the first 2 to 3 picks would have immediately made this draft something I was thrilled with immediately following. 

Edited by Mr Raider

I don't think I ever posted my final thoughts. I was bummed up Parsons, but I really wanted to roll the dice with Farley because of the OT depth 

1- Caleb Farley CB - 

2- Moehrig FS - would have been a no brainer once he dropped with a trade up. Loved that move 

3- Spencer Brown OT- I would have waited to see which OT dropped. Spencer dropped and he was someone I liked alot in the draft process 

3- Jay Tufele DT- I liked him in the 3rd/4th round range. Thought it would have been smart to double dip in the trenches in the 3rd. 

5- Cam Mcgrone LB- wanted to improve the LB unit and I liked Mcgrone in the 5th. He is a speed demon and would have provided depth like Deablo. Deablo prolly has a higher ceiling but McGRONE was a solid prospect I liked. I thought our LB depth sucked so I leaned on LB

6- Trey Smith G- surprised he dropped. I thought he was a good system fit and would have thought of him in the 3th. I guess I was wrong on that one, but I wanted him all day 3. can't go wrong with depth in the trenches , and I think Good is a stopgap. 

7- Javian Hawkins RB-  I would have took that chance at that point. idk didn't feel like we needed another center with James new deal, and Martin. I would have just went BPA and Hawkins, Wilson, and Noah I all were very interesting in the 7th

I would have ending up cutting Richard and maybe Heath post draft, and signed Melvin Ingram instead of Casey Hayward 

Edited by Humble_Beast

17 - Jaelan Phillips | Edge | Miami

43 - Trevon Moehrig | FS | TCU

79 - Spencer Brown | OT | Northern Iowa 

80 - Jabril Cox | LB | LSU

143 - Shaun Wade | CB | Ohio State

167 - Tedarrell Slaton | NT | Florida

230 - Dylan Moses | LB | Alabama