The Nation vs Mayock Final

drfrey13

2019:

2020:

We all like to say we wanted this player or a year from now that we were pounding the table for that player.  We are lucky and get to use a little hindsight in this exercise but try to limit it by only thinking of the pick at hand and not who you know is available later on.  I want to get everyone on the record right after the draft what they would have done.  A couple rules first.

1. Do not go and look who is available for our next pick if you are having a hard time deciding between players.

2. You can not draft a different player at say 24 and then say that Jacobs would have still been there at 27.  

3. No trades except the trades already executed by Mayock in the real draft so those are the spots you have to make the choices at.

4.  I know the draft would have had a different trajectory if we select different players but for this exercise we will assume that the player we switch out would have been selected within 5 spots of our original spot and therefore limiting the butterfly effect. 

5. Going to add a twist this year.  Adding one undrafted free agent for each poster.

This is a fun exercise and only try to post your picks with a small explanation.  This is so we can bring it back up around draft time next year and eat some humble pie or puff up our chest and tell everyone else we really are better than Mayock and Gruden.

Same rules as before.  I started to go back and put it together and then realized most stopped in the middle which is understandable.  Going to post my picks and leave this here for everyone to post theirs.  Just go back and see who you picked at the time and then fill in the rest.

Round 1: T Christian Darrisaw

Round 2: S Trevon Moehrig

Round 3: SCB Elijah Molden

Round 3: WR Nico Collins

Round 4: DT Daviyon Nixon

Round 5: NT Marvin Wilson

Round 7: ILB Dylan Moses

UDFA: RT Adrian Ealy (Doing what I can to keep Parker away from the right side)

This year was a little bit tougher than years past.  Not knowing the DC's vision makes it ever harder.  As you can tell even my positions are off from what we really did.

Edited by drfrey13

@Trojan

Round 1: Christian Darrisaw, LT Virginia Tech

Round 2: Trevon Moehrig, FS TCU

Round 3: Wyatt Davis, RG The Ohio State

Round 3: Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State

Round 4: Daviyon Nixon, DT Iowa

Round 5: Tay Gowan, CB UCF

Round 7: Shaka Toney, SLB/LEO Penn State

UDFA: 

• Like 1

Round 1 - Christian Darrisaw, OT  Virginia Tech 

Round 2 - JOK, LB Notre Dame

Round 3 - Ronnie Perkins, Edge Oklahoma

Round 3 - Daviyon Nixon, DT Iowa

Round 4 - Jamar Johnson, FS Indiana 

Round 6 - Stone Forsythe, OT Florida 

Round 7 - Jaime Newman, QB Georgia 

Edited by jpaulthe1st

20 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Round 1: DL, Kwity Paye

Round 2: OT Samuel Cosmi

Round 3: CB Ifeatu Melifonwu

Round 3: S Divine Deablo

Round 4: S Tyree Gillespie

Round 5: DT Marvin Wilson

Round 7: WR Trevon Grimes

Edited by Rich7sena

I do really like this concept, here are the picks I would have made in real time at the positions we picked in:

Rd 1 Pick 17:  Jaelen Phillips DE - Best player on my 'board' and DL can rotate plenty so less worried about injury than if he played 100% of snaps

Rd 2 Pick 43:  Trevon Moehrig FS - No. 5 player on my BB for pick 17 so no-brainer here for me!

Rd 3 Pick 79:  Daviyon Nixon DT - I would have picked him in the 2nd if Moehrig wasn't there, love his potential in 18 months

Rd 3 Pick 80:  Spencer Brown RT - I would have been hoping one of Radunz, Mayfield or Christensen dropped here but ended up a pick for need

Rd 4 Pick 143: Tommy Doyle RT -  Give Cable another long, rangy tackle to work with but I may have picked Hufanga or Nasirildeen here..................toss up between them 

Rd 5 Pick 167:  Jacoby Stevens LB/SS - Intriguing tweener type player, If I'd gone with Hufanga or Nas previously then I'd have picked Cornell Powell WR 

Rd 7 Pick 230:  Marvin Wilson DT - Would have presented just too much value here for me, projected as a backup NT

With regards UDFAs, guys I liked and would have tried to sign were Darius Stills DT, Dylan Moses LB, Calvin Ashley OT

If I'm honest rounds 4 onwards would have been pretty tight between any number of players. In reality I would have tried to trade down from 17 and add a second or third and would have looked to take Moehrig late first and an OT like Eichenberg and Nixon with our two seconds. I would have hoped to pick up Cisco in the third but he was gone............

Wonder how this will look in a couple years time.............😁

Edited by Darbsk

53 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Wonder how this will look in a couple years time.............😁

I started doing this in 2019 so I am going to link the past 2 years in the OP.  I sick of people saying my criticisms where hindsight.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

@Trojan

Round 1: Christian Darrisaw, LT Virginia Tech

Round 2: Trevon Moehrig, FS TCU

Round 3: Wyatt Davis, RG The Ohio State

Round 3: Marvin Wilson, DT Florida State

Round 4: Daviyon Nixon, DT Iowa

Round 5: Tay Gowan, CB UCF

Round 7: Shaka Toney, SLB/LEO Penn State

UDFA: 

Since this is the third year of you doing this I clicked through and this is what I would have:

QB:  (incumbent Derek Carr)
RB: Josh Jacobs
FB: Alec Ingold (listed as a priority UDFA)
WR: Ceedee Lamb
WR: Donovan Peoples-Jones
TE: (incumbent Darren Waller)
OT: (incumbent Kolton Miller) Christian Darrisaw
OG: Dalton Risner, Wyatt Davis, Logan Stenberg

5T: Anthony Nelson, Charles Omenihu
1T: Marvin Wilson, Daylon Mack
3T: Daviyon Nixon, Neville Gallimore
9T: Josh Allen, Shaka Toney
LB: Akeem Davis Gaither, Mack Wilson, TreVon Coney
CB: Jaylon Johnson, Tay Gowan, Amik Robertson
S: Trevon Moehrig, Nasir Adderley

not bad given I did it each year and didn't try to build one off the other

Edited by Trojan

So live I picked these guys. Stopped watching after that because I was so pissed at the picks. Only difference I'd make is Nixon would be my 4th and I'd taken T Brown in case Darrisaw can't handle RT.

T Darrisaw

S Moehrig

DT Nixon

DE Perkins

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

As a Broncos fan, I sure like what Mayock did in the draft 😀

Cool, did you like Gruden's first round pick too? We both need to be wary of what the Chargers did I think 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

As a Broncos fan, I sure like what Mayock did in the draft 😀

Keep laughing donkey boy, always gotta come troll don’t ya. Like an annual tradition isn’t it. All good, at least horse teeth isn’t drafting for y’all anymore.😂👍

18 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

And I’m definitely not saying we don’t make it easy tbh.

Until we start hitting on some of these picks we have to just take it.  If you are going to go against the grain you have to prove you were correct.  Smart choice bad outcome (Select a perceived good prospect that fails for some unforeseen reason) or bad choice good outcome (Taking Tom Brady as the #1 overall pick).  Right now we have made what appears to be bad choices with bad outcomes for a long time.  When people say we do not know what their big board looked like it does not matter if you do not make what appears to be a good decision or make what appears to be a bad decision but prove everyone wrong.  Just looks like you make bad player rankings.

Forgive me for sounding like Donald Rumsfeld for a minute there.