Your 'initial' assessment of the Draft

DWhitehurst

Didn’t really love the class, didn’t really hate it.  There was certainly nothing wow about this draft IMO.  Maybe we get a day 1 starter out of it but I’m not sure how much the class actually improves us for next year.  Saying that though, that’s me being a little more down than most on Stokes. 

It's certainly better than last year’s draft but that’s a low bar given the fact that we quite literally got nothing from the class last year and I'm not sure we're projecting a starter out of it this year.  

Reality is it was really hard to focus and enjoy the draft given the future with the Packers looking extremely grim right now.  Seriously looks like a team that’s closer to a MASSIVE rebuild than a championship. 

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Didn’t really love the class, didn’t really hate it.  There was certainly nothing wow about this draft IMO.  Maybe we get a day 1 starter out of it but I’m not sure how much the class actually improves us for next year.  Saying that though, that’s me being a little more down than most on Stokes. 

It's certainly better than last year’s draft but that’s a low bar given the fact that we quite literally got nothing from the class last year and I'm not sure we're projecting a starter out of it this year.  

Reality is it was really hard to focus and enjoy the draft given the future with the Packers looking extremely grim right now.  Seriously looks like a team that’s closer to a MASSIVE rebuild than a championship. 

The hate the 2020 draft gets is so lazy.  “Im not sure we are projecting a starter out of it”… or we might have 5 (Runyan, Deguara, Dillion, Martin, Barnes could easily play starter/quasi starter roles).

• Like 1

Just now, Cpdaly23 said:

The hate the 2020 draft gets is so lazy.  “Im not sure we are projecting a starter out of it”… or we might have 5 (Runyan, Deguara, Dillion, Martin, Barnes could easily play starter/quasi starter roles).

Far less lazy than assuming every draft is a great draft simply because it's a Packers draft.  Like I said in the post, "I'm not sure".  I'm not willing to try to project multiple injuries to make the class sound better than it is.  Sure, it could be the best draft class by any team in NFL history, right now it doesn't look all that strong given the minimal impact it had on last year's success.  

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

Uh...yeah it does. We still have just Bakh who's coming off an ACL that he suffered late in the season, Billy Turner who was EXPOSED at LT, and Yosh Nijman who was a UDFA and we don't know much about what we have in him. We're going to be touch-n-go at that position all year and with Jordan Love most likely starting anyway, expect our WR's to do very little this year and our RB's to shoulder much of the load. We're going to be the Vikings circa 2012 on offense...

Don't disagree for a second that we are very light at OT. 

But just because we are very light at one position doesn't mean its just a draft for the future.  All three first two day picks are likely to be relevant this season and we may well got something this year from the day three guys. That would be a pretty decent year one output.

50 minutes ago, Joe said:

Uh...yeah it does. We still have just Bakh who's coming off an ACL that he suffered late in the season, Billy Turner who was EXPOSED at LT, and Yosh Nijman who was a UDFA and we don't know much about what we have in him. We're going to be touch-n-go at that position all year and with Jordan Love most likely starting anyway, expect our WR's to do very little this year and our RB's to shoulder much of the load. We're going to be the Vikings circa 2012 on offense...

I have to disagree a little that Turner was exposed at LT.  He certainly isn't going to make any pro bowls there, or convince anyone that he is a long term solution.  He did just fine against the Rams.  We probably don't want him as a full time starter, but he isn't a turnstile.

• Like 2

We will regret not taking Jenkins at 29. That pick was a no-brainer, that kid will be a good player for Chicago. You would've had a stud RT for the next 10 years, done. Instead we keep burning 1st round picks on corners hoping they will pan out. Jenkins was the safer pick and to add insult you let him slip to your rival. My dream of the Jenkins Brothers and Smith Brothers are dead. I think we could've found a serviceable corner after the 3rd, that's why you pay your scouts a lot of money to find these guys in the middle rounds. Sherman was a 5th rounder. Stokes vs Jenkins is King verses Watt all over again.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but the Bears drafted better than us. Their draft was what I was hoping for, quality over quantity. They made the best out of less. We didn't need 9 picks. I would've been happier if we would have came out with 6 or 7 guys who can help now because this team is in win now mode. But instead we're perennially drafting guys for the PS which doesn't make sense to me.

7 minutes ago, St Vince said:

We will regret not taking Jenkins at 29. That pick was a no-brainer, that kid will be a good player for Chicago. You would've had a stud RT for the next 10 years, done. Instead we keep burning 1st round picks on corners hoping they will pan out. Jenkins was the safer pick and to add insult you let him slip to your rival. My dream of the Jenkins Brothers and Smith Brothers are dead. I think we could've found a serviceable corner after the 3rd, that's why you pay your scouts a lot of money to find these guys in the middle rounds. Sherman was a 5th rounder. Stokes vs Jenkins is King verses Watt all over again.

So, do you really like Jenkins, or really not like Stokes? I too would have gone Jenkins over Stokes.  But I don't dislike Stokes at all.  

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

So, do you really like Jenkins, or really not like Stokes? I too would have gone Jenkins over Stokes.  But I don't dislike Stokes at all.  

I like Stokes but I would have went with the safer pick in Jenkins. Stokes still needs some seasoning, Jenkins was your plug and play RT for the next 10 years and ready to help you on day one.

Edited by St Vince

10 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I hate to say it but the Bears drafted better than us. Their draft was what I was hoping for, quality over quantity. They made the best out of less. We didn't need 9 picks. I would've been happier if we would have came out with 6 or 7 guys who can help now because this team is in win now mode. But instead we're perennially drafting guys for the PS which doesn't make sense to me.

Well, we were drafting 29th . . .

• Like 1

Round 1: I was really hoping for Tevin Jenkins or Barmore. I’m good with the pick though, anytime we select a premium position I’m happy.

Round 2: Happy with a interior lineman. Obviously wasn’t the highest ranked by draft guys but I trust our office.

Round 3: Rogers is a steal and will be an immediate contributor.

Round 4: Once again, happy with O- line picks.

Round 5: Slayton is my crush of the draft. He has the ability to transform our defense if he is able to maintain conditioning.

I like the rest and really feel that Hill was a steal in the 7th too

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Well, we were drafting 29th . . .

True but we had capital. This team is SB ready now we need draft guys to help now not the future. I would have been happier with a quality over quantity type draft. Although we picked late this QB class pushed a lot talent down to us. You wouldn't have gotten a shot at a player like Jenkins in the 2020 draft class.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

How can you say that a day after?  I know this is Football's Future but until we see them on the field there is no way to know what we really have.

It was sarcasm Pugger, sarcasm aimed at those that can't stop declaring how awful the 2020 draft was. We don't know how good or bad a draft is until years down the road. That is all.  

1 hour ago, Joe said:

This is just bad. Bakh will be back by the 4th game, we'll get through weeks 1-4 with Turner and Jenkins at OT, and we'll probably have a depth tackle like Wagner back too.

Also even if we struggle, our HC and play caller is absolutely nothing like the early 2010s Vikings. That's just not a good comparison whatsoever. If you have to give up on your scheme because you no longer have a HOF QB, you're not a good coach. We'll run the same offense you saw last year, and get the ball out quick or move the pocket.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, St Vince said:

They picked 9 spots ahead of us every round and “borrowed” from their #1 and #4 picks from 2022- this should not surprise anybody.

Edited by Cpdaly23
  • Like 3