2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Really liking Jalen Tolbert as I watch him more and more. Don't like that he turned 23 in February, but he's the best route runner of all the Day 2 guys. Should be ready to play pretty early. 

The hands are less then impressive.  They give me worry.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The hands are less then impressive.  They give me worry.

Think he's around 8%. Not terribly higher than guys like Burks and Wilson, but yea, it's something to look at. 

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

I like Pierce, but not so sure I move up to get him with this WR class. If we get Olave around 22 or Pickens around 28, then Pierce at 59 seems to be fair value and a likely pot for him. I wouldn't take him at 53 unless Hall, Brisker, and Tyler Smith are all gone and we took an Edge in the first.

Wide receivers seem to go off the board in bunches, so you have to pay attention to where tiers break and who is coming off the board.

2021: 3 between 5-10 (Chase, Waddle, Smith), 3 between 56-59 (Eskridge, Atwell, Marshall), 5 between 77-91 (35.7%)
2020: 8 between 12-34 (36.3), 6 between 42-66 (25%)
2019: 9 between 51-76 (36%)
2018: 6 between 40-61 (28.6%)

I think you've got to keep an eye on Tier 1 WRs (Olave, Wilson, Williams, Burks, and London) go off the board.  I'm not sure that anyone outside the NY Jets will take a WR in the top 10.  The only other franchise that might take a WR in the top 10 is the Falcons.  In the 11-15 range, you've got Washington and Philadelphia who are both likely in the WR market.  Minnesota and Houston could, but they're likely going to another position.  16-21 has New Orleans, Philadelphia (if they don't take one earlier), and New England as likely to be in the WR market.  LA Chargers could be a sleeper WR team.  Between the two Packers' picks, you've got Arizona, Dallas, Buffalo, Tennessee, and Tampa Bay that could all be in the WR market.  I've got NY Jets taking WR1, WFT taking WR2, Philadelphia taking WR3, and New Orleans taking WR4.  IF New England opts to take WR5, there's a strong chance that BPA won't be a WR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

I think the reason I would like Zander on the roster to be the Kyle role is the threat of him as a runner.

Josiah, I believe, has never received a handoff as a packer. I think the whole purpose of this offense is literally have one formation and you are able to do a million things out of it… all looking the same while doing it.

I think Zander allows GB to build the element up more with his ability to act as a true RB/FB and be a runner out of a formation, Ala Kyle. 

Now maybe Josiah isn’t this because of Rodgers and LaFleur… to which case the issue likely isn’t getting solved with a new player. I still like Josiah and believe he is under used… but it feels like this team isn’t interested in using him. And I don’t know if that is because of the role, or him personally.

Id rather give the ball to highly paid Jones or absolute bruiser Dillon. Let the fullback block.

If Packers don't get a WR with pick 22 or 28, I think Gute will trade up in the 2nd round and take one in the early 40's. I don't think he'll sit back and just hope there isn't a run on WR's. Or he made trade down with the 28th pick and take one there.  

Recent history says there won't be as many WR's taken in the first 21 picks as some people think. But I wonder if the huge contracts signed by WR's in free agency will change the equation. Teams may want to stock up on WR's this year so they don't have to spend big money on one in free agency next year. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Reid likes Cine to the Packers in the first (among other teams). Another Georgia DB?

Hmmm…I guess it’s always how things fall. I know I did several mocks today and got Cine at 28 in one of them. But that’s because the edges and DTs were picked over and I already had a WR.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Id rather give the ball to highly paid Jones or absolute bruiser Dillon. Let the fullback block.

I don’t disagree… but again my point is if you have a threat at FB, that can run, catch and pass. This with cause defenses to pause a second. make sure that he doesn’t get it.

Like I said, if this offense is about doing multiple things out of a few formations… than guys can’t be specialized, they can’t just be blockers. Again looking at 49ers… Deebo is a receiver, runner, blocker. This makes the offense dangerous because you don’t know where the ball is going.

So I agree Dillon and Jones need to get the high volume of touches… but if GB worked in a FB, they need to be enough of a running threat.

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I don’t disagree… but again my point is if you have a threat at FB, that can run, catch and pass. This with cause defenses to pause a second. make sure that he doesn’t get it.

Like I said, if this offense is about doing multiple things out of a few formations… than guys can’t be specialized, they can’t just be blockers. Again looking at 49ers… Deebo is a receiver, runner, blocker. This makes the offense dangerous because you don’t know where the ball is going.

So I agree Dillon and Jones need to get the high volume of touches… but if GB worked in a FB, they need to be enough of a running threat.

Deguara can catch out of the backfield just fine. 10 FB runs a year (which is what the GOAT FB Jusczyk gets) isnt mearly enough for me to concern a roster spot for. Josiah can run a few deceptive runs a year if we desire.

Hey if they add a quasi dillon backup in wont be shocked I just figure that body will be a UDFA add.

Edited by HighCalebR

On 4/8/2022 at 1:35 PM, R T said:

Van Lanen, Biegel, Abbrederis, Ferrario, Tauscher. That is 5 players since 2000. In comparison; Alabama 3, Clemson 2, Florida 3, Georgia 2, Iowa 6, LSU 5, Michigan 3, Notre Dame 3, Ohio State 7, Oklahoma 3, Penn State 2, Texas 1, Texas A&M 6, USC 2. 

Really don't think not drafting Badgers is a thing. 

I broke it down a few years back because of the whole "GB doesn't draft Badgers!" based on Wolf passing on Vincent for Buckley, and then Sherman drafting Ferguson over Chambers. 

And through something like 1992-2015, GB didn't really pass on many Badgers who turned out to be good AND filled a need; and they guys that did turn out to be studs like JJ Watt and Joe Thomas, GB didn't have a shot at. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I broke it down a few years back because of the whole "GB doesn't draft Badgers!" based on Wolf passing on Vincent for Buckley, and then Sherman drafting Ferguson over Chambers. 

And through something like 1992-2015, GB didn't really pass on many Badgers who turned out to be good AND filled a need; and they guys that did turn out to be studs like JJ Watt and Joe Thomas, GB didn't have a shot at. 

Passing up T.J. Watt and drafting King added some fuel to the fire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Really liking Jalen Tolbert as I watch him more and more. Don't like that he turned 23 in February, but he's the best route runner of all the Day 2 guys. Should be ready to play pretty early. 

Yeah Tolbert could be a good value around 59 depending on how the board falls. I'd be very comfortable with him as one of the WRs brought in