2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

1 minute ago, Leader said:

You actually stand by that?

Not the same players at all but get the gist of what he's saying.  Value wise not a lot of difference in talent between the 1st and 2nd tier guys.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Think we'll have some surprises when it comes to where some of the WR's get drafted.  Deep but not top heavy.  Hey Leader outside of Wilson  and Olave do you think any of these guys are really worthy of going in the 1st round?  They all have warts.  

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

You actually stand by that?

No, it's just an example but there are people who may follow that line of thinking and I can't really argue against it. It's a perfectly valid viewpoint. Doesn't necessarily mean they're right or wrong, it's just a different perspective.

The truth is with no bona fide WRs in the draft the gap between those players isn't as huge as we like to believe. Whilst some are rightly labeled first round talent there are second rounders who aren't far off talent-wise, maybe they're a notch slower or come from a lesser conference, whatever the reason.

I'm not saying I want the Packers to pass on drafting a WR in the first round but I would understand if they do. They would be running the risk like the last few drafts where the WRs got gobbled up by the time it was our turn to pick in the second round. I don't want that to happen to us again and so just nab the best WR with one of our first round picks and not worry about WR for the rest of the draft.

Edited by Chili

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

No, it's just an example but there are people who may follow that line of thinking and I can't really argue against it. It's a perfectly valid viewpoint. Doesn't necessarily mean they're right or wrong, it's just a different perspective.

Well, thats a round a bout and convoluted way of saying you stand by it. That there's no difference between Olave and Metchie. So I'll just add my take: I disagree.

London and Watson are completely different type receivers IMO. They're less comparable (IMO) than Olave & Metchie - and while I think Metchie brings good things to the table, I think Olave the superior talent.

22 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Hey Leader outside of Wilson  and Olave do you think any of these guys are really worthy of going in the 1st round?  They all have warts. 

I honestly dont give a **** when we select these players. I come into this draft exactly how I exited the regular/playoff season: GB needs to address the WR position. I make no attempt at coming off as a draft expert - couldnt care less - I have a few "names" I'd like GB to nab and hope they do it. Will they? If I go with history - probably not.

Regardless, I want GB to make a serious contribution to this position in this draft. It's been ignored long enough. We've a B-list of WRs now on the roster - most of whom have no contract agreement with GB beyond 2022. 

Time has come IMO. So, dont sit around waiting till the water temp is just perfect - till the player/positional valuation is just right......and then lose the talent......rather, jump in and grab it.

I'd love if we could nab Pickens and the Cincy kid. Will it happen? Meh.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I would love it if they were our 2nd round picks. Not real keen on either in round one. 

I'd be fine with Pickens at 28 and Pierce at 53 or 59. Give me BPA at  Edge/CB/S/OT/DL with the other 2 top 4 picks. 

Edited by Tperk
spelling

29 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I'd be fine with Pickens at 28 and Pierce at 53 or 59. Give me BPA at  Edge/CB/S/OT/DL with the other 2 top 4 picks. 

This ^

Think Pickens will wait around till we're ready in round 2? Nab him at 28 and make sure. Take the Purdue EDGE at 22 (so long as Jameson isnt still around........). 

BK had a lineup of four guys: Purdue EDGE, Hill, Pickens & Pierce. Works for me. Fit an OT and DL into the mix and call it a good day. 

I think Jameson Williams is worth a slight trade up.  I'm not giving up the farm to get him, but he's the only WR I'd go up for.  The kid is electric and getting him you could probably hold off on other WRs early in the draft.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I honestly dont give a **** when we select these players. I come into this draft exactly how I exited the regular/playoff season: GB needs to address the WR position. I make no attempt at coming off as a draft expert - couldnt care less - I have a few "names" I'd like GB to nab and hope they do it. Will they? If I go with history - probably not.

Regardless, I want GB to make a serious contribution to this position in this draft. It's been ignored long enough. We've a B-list of WRs now on the roster - most of whom have no contract agreement with GB beyond 2022. 

Time has come IMO. So, dont sit around waiting till the water temp is just perfect - till the player/positional valuation is just right......and then lose the talent......rather, jump in and grab it.

I'd love if we could nab Pickens and the Cincy kid. Will it happen? Meh.

Get where you are coming from but that's no way to run a draft.  Can't reach for need.  It will bite you in the butt every time.  1st round picks are extremely valuable.  Bypassing a superior talent in favor of a WR would be a mistake.  Really only guys I'd take in the 1st round are Olave and Wilson.  Williams won't be able to contribute this year.  We don't have the luxury of burning a first on a guy that can't contribute right away. Pickens has question marks as well.  Like I said they all have warts.  London maybe but questions on whether he can separate in the NFL.  Burks?  

Rest assured Gute will be drafting WR's.  My guess is probably 3 of them.  Watson, Pickens, or Pierce in the 1st would be a horrible reach IMO.  Sure he has a group of guys he's targeting.  His board probably looks a whole lot different then what we are all seeing.  Think he'll nab 2 guys Rounds 2-4.  Might trade up in the 2nd to get one of his top targets.  

After following the draft so many years he'll most likely end up taking guys that leave us all scratching are heads . People will be complaining because we passed on player X.  I'll trust the Packers scouting dept.  Gute is the master of trading around to get his guys.  Sure he'll manipulate the board and do what is necessary.  We may not all like the guys he picks but only time will tell.  They have far more information about these players than we do.  

One last comment.  Adams, Jennings, and Nelson.  Nobody was talking about those guys in the forums at the time either.  Pretty much all of those picks came out of left field. They turned out OK. 

17 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Jameson Williams is worth a slight trade up.  I'm not giving up the farm to get him, but he's the only WR I'd go up for.  The kid is electric and getting him you could probably hold off on other WRs early in the draft.  

What ?

You do realize there would be a 99% chance he misses training camp ?? Think for half a second what that would mean. And that's not even taking into account that it's not a foregone conclusion that he comes back 100%.  And how long would it take to get back in football shape or gain the necessary 10 pounds his body needs. And you say it's cool to put all the eggs in that basket ? Please.

‘Oh, let’s go out and get this guy and get this guy.’ They don’t know how to operate in this offense, playing in code. They don’t know how to operate playing with Aaron Rodgers. There are two separate playbooks. There’s the one we get written down. And then there’s one that Aaron has. It’s not an easy thing to just come in and play right away.

“You can’t just have a guy who can make a play. You’ve got to be a different level of intelligence to play in that offense.”

No doubt, Rodgers still has his own “playbook” in Green Bay and learning this “playbook” can take thousands upon thousands of reps.

As Valdes-Scantling explains, the Packers typically have two plays called in the huddle. All 11 players step up to the line and if Rodgers believes both plays LaFleur sent in won’t work, he’ll call something else. The QB will change the protection, the play, the routes with an audible and/or a hand signal and… you better as hell know what you’re doing as a receiver in real time.

Nobody is coming in - missing training camp - and then having an impact.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Not the same players at all but get the gist of what he's saying.  Value wise not a lot of difference in talent between the 1st and 2nd tier guys.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Think we'll have some surprises when it comes to where some of the WR's get drafted.  Deep but not top heavy.  Hey Leader outside of Wilson  and Olave do you think any of these guys are really worthy of going in the 1st round?  They all have warts.  

If you look hard enough every player in the draft has warts. There are more than 2 WR's rated in the top 32 players in this draft in everybody's list. So yes, more than two guys are worthy of going in the first round. The difference is the gap between WR 3 and 10 is negligible. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what they are looking for in a WR.

BTW, Wilson and Olave have warts too. 

7 hours ago, Chili said:

A skim of all the highlight videos I could find of the later round prospects, Raimann, Lucas, Burford, Jones, Strange, Goedeke are all those who I initially liked.

Penning tape looks great but he is a meat head. He's all brawn but not alot between the ears. There were a number of moments in his highlight video where he doesn't disengage his block to make another block on a different player. The best OL can do this but he spends all his energy trying to pancake the guy he's engaged with. It's a little bit selfish. I also read he has something like 34 flags in 31 games. Come on! that's ridiculous!

It definitely looks like the 4th-5th round is the key spot for us to draft an offensive lineman. The Packers also like to draft a OT and convert them to guard. Goedeke is definitely an candidate for this. Whilst not on the list, Packers draft visits Ja'Tyre Carter and Jamaree Salyer are also candidates for a switch to guard in the NFL.

Just checked out Burford. He's a Packer for sure if no one else scoops him up. Perfect developmental prospect, age 22 all season which is rare on this class.

Interesting about Penning, I hadn't heard that before and probably solidified why we wouldn't want him. The other issue with Penning is I don't see them breaking the age rule in the first round for him. The COVID year might change things and they might take a 23yo early but why would we take him over Tyler Smith imo who's two years younger. We'll probably miss on both of them and take something like Burford or Tom in 4 and Van Demark or Andriese in Rd 7