2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If Kenny Pickett is there at 22 I run that card up :)

Good lord.  If we do we'll be the laughing stock of the league.  But I seriously doubt he'll last that long with all of the QB needy teams and the bare QB cupboard this year.

31 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Seems guys lose some burst when they tear Achilles. I'm thinking he might go in the second round now. Possibily slips to the top of 3. 

He's definitely not a Day 1 pick.  Might not even be a R2 guy right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Really? Even though recovery for the latter is about 6 months compared to 9-10 for an ACL?

ACL's are pretty common surgeries nowadays, and they're pretty routine in terms of recovery.  You're probably ~18ish months (and that's probably generous) from being 110%.  We've been spoiled in recent years with guys like Cam Akers (ridiculously speedy recovery) and Kevin Durant.  Achilles' tears are usually significantly more career-altering.

• Like 1

Depending on his medicals, I expect John Metchie to be high on our board. We place a ton of emphasis on run blocking from WRs and Metchie's one of the better ones there. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't take a 1st round WR and then take Metchie in the 2nd and another tooled up, unrefined type, in the 4th (Kevin Austin?) rather than invest a 1 in this class to a deep position. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for any of Olave, Burks, Pickens, Dotson or Moore but I think we're going to do what we usually do and try to take advantage of depth in the draft. We'll take an OL and a defender in the first and wait until 53/59 to start looking at WR/TE. Metchie's going to be very high on that board when the time comes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Depending on his medicals, I expect John Metchie to be high on our board. We place a ton of emphasis on run blocking from WRs and Metchie's one of the better ones there. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't take a 1st round WR and then take Metchie in the 2nd and another tooled up, unrefined type, in the 4th (Kevin Austin?) rather than invest a 1 in this class to a deep position. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd kill for any of Olave, Burks, Pickens, Dotson or Moore but I think we're going to do what we usually do and try to take advantage of depth in the draft. We'll take an OL and a defender in the first and wait until 53/59 to start looking at WR/TE. Metchie's going to be very high on that board when the time comes.

The Draft Network -

John Metchie III (5'11" / 187#) - 10th ranked WR and 60th in overall player ranking

is a true junior WR for the Alabama Crimson Tide. He’s played with some great WRs during his time at Alabama, including first-round draft picks DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, and Henry Ruggs III—which has taken away from his target share in the past. This year, Metchie III has seen his target share increase and so has his production with his best performance coming against the Tennessee Volunteers, where Metchie III went for 11 catches 121 yards, and two touchdowns. Metchie III has the size and quickness that allow him to play the Z position or lineup in the slot. Metchie III is an elite athlete that has exceptional start-stop ability and also possesses electric speed that makes him a scoring threat on every play. Uses his speed to run deep overs, which have been a classic in the Alabama offense over the years. Metchie III also has a sturdy frame for a WR that makes him a difficult tackle for defenders in the open field. Metchie III’s explosive athleticism combined with his ability to break tackles in the open field can make him a dynamic playmaker in the NFL. Metchie III tore his ACL in the 2021 SEC Championship Game, which is an injury that could potentially throw a wrench in his draft valuation if teams are shaken by the medical prognosis of his recovery. 

Ideal Role: Metchie has the versatility to play both Z and the slot where he can use his speed to stretch the field vertically. 

Scheme Fit: A spread system that gets the ball to their players in space. Metchie will thrive in an offense that incorporates him in screens and takes vertical shots down the field. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think if I were a player, I'd rather have an ACL tear then an Achilles tear.

Agree. I've had both, only mine was an ACL tear and a ruptured Achilles so that may have biased my outlook on things.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Metchie seemed like 1A on Bama until he got hurt 

• Like 1

I'm just getting into the WR highlights to get a feel for the top prospects in the draft. Is it just me or is the WR class underwhelming? Everyone seems to have some warts of some kind.

Early thoughts is Garrett Wilson has star potential. Lots of things to like but there are moments where comes across as a bit raw and needs to fine tune his game. Fast, athletic and uses his agility to brush off tacklers despite his slight frame. He's very active on the field but sometimes he need to try and keep it simple and avoid big hits.

Treylon Burks is supposed to be one of the top WRs in the draft yet I came away underwhelmed by his lack of agility and level of gears. He boxes out players very well, make excellent catches and can run with the ball but there's something missing, that wiggle and extra speed. I see guys of that type get taken in the 2nd/3rd round not 1st.

I like Jameson Williams tape, reminds me of Julio Jones in the way he runs. Not a fan of his small catch radius and isn't a clean catcher. I don't think he's a boundary guy. He's all about getting deep and running slants. It's a shame he picked up an ACL injury.

Chris Olave is smooth as anything. Despite his slight frame he's steady and reliable. Probably the most polished receiver but it is apparent his athleticism isn't on par with Wilson and Williams. There's three type of guys, the one that selfishly celebrates by himself, the one who celebrates with his teammates and the one who shows no outward emotion after making a good play. Olave is in the latter camp. I'm not a fan of his lack of passion. The best recievers LOVES the game of football and will not by shy showing it, passion is what drives them to be great.

Drake London reminds me of Lazard a little. Big dude with some deceptive athleticism. Boxes out players and fights for the hard yards. Plays with a good mentality but i think he's a concussion waiting to happen. Seeks contact far too much for my liking.

Jalen Tolbert has a bit of everything, decent size, athletic, can run, catch and jump. Yet I feel like he doesn't quite pop on tape for me AND he's playing against low level competition in which he dominated. I don't know if that is a red flag. He is also one of the oldest WR prospects at 23. Interesting player though.

Jahan Dotson - I really like him. Confident and competitive, easily gains separation. Fluid runner with a good leap. His hands are excellent. (reminds you of anyone?!) He's really skinny though. Might be tough for him as an outside receiver but if used right he can make a big impact. Skinny WRs who play in the slot (in college at least) are so in vogue right now. Jefferson, Jeudy, Smith were drafted high in recent years. This year we got Wilson, Williams, Olave and Dotson all in that mold. Interesting for the Packers because he can replace Adams short area quickness and agility but he can also do punt returns.

That's as far as I got so far. What do you all think?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm just getting into the WR highlights to get a feel for the top prospects in the draft. Is it just me or is the WR class underwhelming? Everyone seems to have some warts of some kind.

I guess it depends on what you're expecting.  There's no JaMarr Chase in this year's class.  I think that skews any view.  I think that second tier is on par with last year's class.