2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Really? Even though recovery for the latter is about 6 months compared to 9-10 for an ACL?

Time difference is 1 part.

Muscle/tendon injuries there is a major risk of strength/power loss that you may never get back

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I guess it depends on what you're expecting.  There's no JaMarr Chase in this year's class.  I think that skews any view.  I think that second tier is on par with last year's class.

Traditionally a great WR class will have 3,4,5, big fast physical boundary guys with elite hands and athleticism but I noticed in recent years teams are moving away from that and valuing skinnier, speedier guys who may or may not be tall and they're actually no.1 WRs playing the slot instead of the boundary. A bit like Jefferson and Kupp.

It's clear the priorities have changed when it comes to WRs and I may actually be undervaluing the current draft class because of my traditional mindset in what makes a great draft class.

Edited by Chili

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Traditionally a great WR class will have 3,4,5, big fast physical boundary guys with elite hands and athleticism but I noticed in recent years teams are moving away from that and valuing skinnier, speedier guys who may or may not be tall and they're actually no.1 WRs playing the slot instead of the boundary. A bit like Jefferson and Kupp.

It's clear the priorities have changed when it comes to WRs and I may actually be undervaluing the current draft class because of my traditional mindset in what makes a great draft class.

I wouldn't really call Justin Jefferson skinny.  6'1', 202 is pretty pedestrian size.  It's not small, but I wouldn't call it large.  Same with Kupp.  I wouldn't really call him small.  He's not a jumbo WR (6'3"+, 220+) by any means, but I definitely wouldn't call him small.  Would I like Olave with about 10 more pounds on him?  Sure, but it's not going to change my evaluation of him.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

The other thing is that a lot of "Big WRs" in classic terms are TEs in modern college football (e.g. Pitts, Kyle).  Like 15 years ago a guy like Isaiah Likely is absolutely a WR in CFB, but since college has committed fully to wide splits, spread offenses, and catc/rock/throw timing for most teams the question is more "can he add mass so he can post up better in the red zone" than "can he block."

If TT was here then Kahlil Shakir would've been his protypical Packers WR pick. He's damn good.

Gute wouldn't go for that type of player anymore. He will most likely look someone like George Pickens who is also very good.

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Gute wouldn't go for that type of player anymore. He will most likely look someone like George Pickens who is also very good.

Why do we think Gute has a "type" at WR?  It's not like there's a large sample size here, and his hit rate in the 1st and 2nd rounds at non-WR positions is excellent.

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Why do we think Gute has a "type" at WR?  It's not like there's a large sample size here, and his hit rate in the 1st and 2nd rounds at non-WR positions is excellent.

umm...nobody is questioning his hit rate.

Gute has brought in EQ, MVS, Lazard, Funchess, Fulgham etc.... all 6'4+ guys. He has a type - yes he may stray from it from time to time but he does have a type.

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

If TT was here then Kahlil Shakir would've been his protypical Packers WR pick. He's damn good.

I can see the Pickens thing, guessing he is in the mix for GB. Not sure I'm 100% in agreement on Shakir with you though, good 3-cone was a constant with TT and Shakir is not great there. Plus, Shakir is under 6' and if I remember right Cobb was the only WR he ever drafted under 6'. Probably meaningless stuff now though.   

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Really? Even though recovery for the latter is about 6 months compared to 9-10 for an ACL?

Brother in law tore his achilles and I tore my ACL. He said he was never the same and never recovered any explosion he had. I was running in 4 months and I rarely notice I tore it anymore.