2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

11 minutes ago, Chili said:

Just 3 minutes into Christian Watson highlights and i've already decided he's the best WR in the draft.

Am I crazy?

Yes, because you're watching highlights.

Of course he looks good.

He's got the worst hands of anyone that will go top 3 rounds, he's got the most limited route tree too. 

You're drafting an athlete and hoping to make a football player out of him. I'd do it, but not until rd 2.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chili said:

True. It's just that players with huge upside no matter how little their college production or poor the quality of their competition they always get drafted early. We see it every year with teams in the hope of hitting it big. Christian Watson fits that profile to the T and because of that there's a very good chance he will be the first WR drafted especially since there's no Ja'Marr Chase level of talent in the draft.

I'd never say never but I've not seen any of the 'expects' putting him in the top 4 WR's. That means absolutely squat, except some of those guys speak to GMs and get a pretty good feel. 

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

True. It's just that players with huge upside no matter how little their college production or poor the quality of their competition they always get drafted early.

The interesting point here would be to determine where they hit their NFL ceiling.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

So you really think the top rated WR's gonna slide all the way to 28?

I'd look past the first few weeks of the season and consider the value over his projected career - versus - the possibility of him getting nabbed while we wait for him to fall.

TT liked to wait. At least Gute's been more aggressive.

In reality, I've no clue whats gonna happen - but with the context of this discussion only, I'd take the talent at 22.

Probably not.  But I do agree that Gute is probably going to be aggressive.  He's traded up in the first round every year except this past year, so I'd suspect he's going to do so so again this year.  The pair of 4ths should get them to 24/25.  

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course he looks good.

He's got the worst hands of anyone that will go top 3 rounds, he's got the most limited route tree too. 

You're drafting an athlete and hoping to make a football player out of him. I'd do it, but not until rd 2.

I was watching full games.  What makes you think his hands are weak?  I;d like to watch those plays as well.

Agree his route tree has been more limited playing on the run heavy team.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course he looks good.

Is that also what they were saying about DJ Metcalf? I know his route running was a concern. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Probably not.  But I do agree that Gute is probably going to be aggressive.  He's traded up in the first round every year except this past year, so I'd suspect he's going to do so so again this year.  The pair of 4ths should get them to 24/25.  

Again - I dont know the talent differences between these guys - so all I can hope for is they go for the gusto - or as I've said before *maximize* the talent at this position. Draft some filler in talents down the line - fine. The fact it's a deep draft at WR is conducive to that - just dont wait around on the top guys.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Again - I dont know the talent differences between these guys - so all I can hope for is they go for the gusto - or as I've said before *maximize* the talent at this position. Draft some filler in talents down the line - fine. The fact it's a deep draft at WR is conducive to that - just dont wait around on the top guys.

What do you consider the top guys? Three are likely gone by 22. More by 28. Hypothetical, if you have 2 or 3 guys rated way about a group of 6 or 7 guys in the next tier. Do you pass on a much higher rated player on your board to force a WR pick? 

I think you can get really good WR's into round early round 3 in this draft. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

What do you consider the top guys?

Jameson, Olave, Pickens, Burks, Wilson, London.......and I dont know, a handful others....Watson, that Penn State dude (Dotson?), Skyy Moore.....

Just nab somebody with natural explosiveness, speed and football skills.

A *player*

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Never said he was scheme dependent, no one runs ISO anymore. He's just not the guy who wins the route like some others in this class. If it's 3rd down and 3 with a playoff game on the line, I don't want LaFleur to have to think "what play can I call to open up London." I want him to ISO our our best guy and their best and know he'll win, like Tae did all the time.

Like in the playoffs against the 9ers?

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

What do you consider the top guys? Three are likely gone by 22. More by 28. Hypothetical, if you have 2 or 3 guys rated way about a group of 6 or 7 guys in the next tier. Do you pass on a much higher rated player on your board to force a WR pick? 

I think you can get really good WR's into round early round 3 in this draft. 

No, that’s too low unless we sign a pretty good vet. 1-2 minimum, second round WR’s will be very good players. 28 and 53 will be good WR’s if we go that way.

28 - Watson

53 - Pierce. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Of course he looks good.

Thank you.  He's not a round 1 receiver, he's a workout warrior and a project.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Thank you.  He's not a round 1 receiver, he's a workout warrior and a project.

I really haven't put much time into him yet, but at first blush that was my thoughts also. A bit of a body catcher at times too.