2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

35 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If you have a good/great passer, why would you use Hurts at all? The saints got worse as soon as they installed the Taysom Hill package. 

Totally agree. It was befuddling how (and when) Payton would break it out. 3rd and 3, edge of field goal range, crucial point of the game? Here comes Taysom F. Hill in at QB, and future first-ballot HOFer Drew Brees trots out to line up at WR.

If you have a great QB, he doesn’t leave the field unless it’s on a stretcher. Period.

That said...if you have a couple okay QBs, maybe you can get more creative. I’ve thought the Eagles could do something like that with Minshew and Hurts. Something more akin to when the Ravens were working Lamar into the scheme but still had Flacco in place. That’s two really different looks to prepare for and defend against.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Totally agree. It was befuddling how (and when) Payton would break it out. 3rd and 3, edge of field goal range, crucial point of the game? Here comes Taysom F. Hill in at QB, and future first-ballot HOFer Drew Brees trots out to line up at WR.

If you have a great QB, he doesn’t leave the field unless it’s on a stretcher. Period.

That said...if you have a couple okay QBs, maybe you can get more creative. I’ve thought the Eagles could do something like that with Minshew and Hurts. Something more akin to when the Ravens were working Lamar into the scheme but still had Flacco in place. That’s two really different looks to prepare for and defend against.

This is a really good take on it.  You don't get cute when you have a qb of Brees' caliber.  You get clever when you don't.

Minshew + Hurts = 1 good qb.  haha.  Honestly the fact that Minshew looked so good in spot duty tells you more about Hurts than anything.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Uh, I don't think you're remembering it correctly. 

Brady Bunch K GIF

I'm just talking about redzone packages or short-yardage, obviously, you're not going to give a backup QB/running QB 20 plays a game but sprinkling it in in the redzone & short yardage helps.

Edited by turtle28

Maybe we’ll get a chance to see @ripsean21’s boy Mond have the opportunity of a lifetime against Aaron Rodgers on SNF with the playoffs on the line, since Mr. 500 is on the COVID list now. That’s a big ask for a raw young kid, and maybe they’ll play the vet Mannion if he’s not ready for primetime, but it would be a lot more fun to watch Mond take his shot with all his physical tools.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Maybe we’ll get a chance to see @ripsean21’s boy Mond have the opportunity of a lifetime against Aaron Rodgers on SNF with the playoffs on the line, since Mr. 500 is on the COVID list now. That’s a big ask for a raw young kid, and maybe they’ll play the vet Mannion if he’s not ready for primetime, but it would be a lot more fun to watch Mond take his shot with all his physical tools.

I read something last week about Mond playing and I got all nervous knowing if he dropped a Jordan Love game everyone was gonna single me out lol. I actually hope he plays. I think if he does he probably starts slow settles in and could maybe make it a game with the weapons on that team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Sources say he's the guy. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve referenced this every year we talk about next years class being stronger or weaker. I still maintain we should have traded up for Watson over picking Payne or James. But we had Bruce and The Kirk situation we not only could have traded Kirk to San Fran for a haul and gotten more picks then we would have given up for Watson. But this FO is a joke. We do not build a roster we change our direction every 5 years and then wonder why we can’t build. Because we can’t resign guys from previous regimes because we’re in a cycle of insanity here

to the point though I don’t see anyone who has Mahomes type upside because I don’t see his caliber or even close arm talent. This class has a lot of questions. And Watson was one of the greatest college QB’s to ever play at that time and honestly I still think he tops that list for me. I get there not being a consencious number one guy but in that class I def thought Watson was number one with Patrick a close second because of his traits. When Chicago took Mitch I was floored. He was nowhere close to Watson or Mahomes in any of the catagories that matter as far as grading out a QB.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Another reminder about picking QB that I'm sure none of us need. Is you don't need a top 5 pick to get a franchise QB, Justin Herbert was the 10th pick. And it looks like that is about where we will be picking.

Justin Herbert was actually 6th. Maybe you meant Patrick Mahomes who went 10th? Anyways, your main point remains valid.