Best Offseason

onejayhawk

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Chiefs. They should have traded their team to the Jags after their SB win though, but that was the following offseason.

If the Jags win 5 games this year, did they have a bad offseason, regardless of what the players they acquired do in 2022 and beyond?

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the team that had the best offseason is the team that wins this year's Super Bowl. I think that's how people will see it when it is all said and done. No one will say the Jets adding 5 wins made their offseason better than the Whoever's offseason which led them to a championship. Whether it is TB keeping their team intact, Chiefs retooling their line, Raven getting outside receivers, Browns fixing their defense, Bills doing whatever they did, Packer's schmoozing Rodgers, WFT signing Heinicke, Rams getting Stafford, Seahawks not trading Wilson, etc... if a team wins it all there will be something looked at from this offseason to say that's what made this happen.

This seems silly. Is this how you grade draft classes too? Was Myles Garrett the centerpiece of an all-time horrible draft class because you guys went 0-16 the following year?

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well Mahomes held on to the ball longer than he had in any previous season and his sack percentage last year was below his career average. You might think taking the extra time meant looking deeper but his intended air yards were down also. I don't think their line with both tackles healthy was bad at all. Lose both tackles and things could get tricky and it did. I guess as far as at the time of the final game of the season the Chiefs had the worst O-Line in the league but at that point it was also second best because only two teams were remaining.

According to PFF, Mahomes was the third highest QB in incidence of contributing to a sack. Perhaps the rehab from toe surgery will teach some caution. 

I agree that with both Fisher and Schwartz healthy it was a good line, probably better than the one that won SB XIV. If I understand correctly, the plan this offseason was to get two top players and fill around them. As it happens, they came up with three plus elite two rookies. 

J

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

If the Jags win 5 games this year, did they have a bad offseason, regardless of what the players they acquired do in 2022 and beyond?

If we grade it after the SB I think most would say that the SB winner won the offseason. If we grade it 4 years from now after a few more offseasons then kudos for still talking about who won an offseason in 2021 but that conversation probably isn't happening.

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

According to PFF, Mahomes was the third highest QB in incidence of contributing to a sack. Perhaps the rehab from toe surgery will teach some caution. 

I agree that with both Fisher and Schwartz healthy it was a good line, probably better than the one that won SB XIV. If I understand correctly, the plan this offseason was to get two top players and fill around them. As it happens, they came up with three plus elite two rookies. 

J

Could you share the rest of that list? I have a feeling Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, and Joe Burrow are high up on that list.

A stat like Incidences that lead to a sack is useless without a corresponding big plays caused by movement.

The ratio is what you would care about.

Wilson and Mahomes are stars because they extend plays. 

A sack near the line on 3rd and 12 while trying to make a play is not much different than an incomplete pass or a 4 yard dump off.

6 hours ago, SkippyX said:

A stat like Incidences that lead to a sack is useless without a corresponding big plays caused by movement.

The ratio is what you would care about.

Wilson and Mahomes are stars because they extend plays. 

A sack near the line on 3rd and 12 while trying to make a play is not much different than an incomplete pass or a 4 yard dump off.

Theres actually been some debate on Mahomes’ pocket ability since the draft days. Hell drop back 5, sometimes 10-12 steps out of the shotgun. Sometimes going as far as 20 yards from the LOS.

True, This may open up the field for his scrambling ability, but it also strains his tackles. Instead of DEs having to turn a corner like normal, all they have to do is speed rush straight to him. The angle is opened up from 90 degrees to 160, which can at times lead to “easy” sacks. 

The hope i think is if he has confidence in his line hell be more willing to step into the pocket. I think A lot of his long dropbacks were because of a lack of confidence up front with all the injuries last year.

Edited by Chiefer