2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's on us and our culture/lack of leadership. Najee Harris, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, etc have all come out of Alabama in recent years and have had zero issues in the NFL.

This. Correlation does not equal causation. I agree that we need to stop inflating players value due to the school they come from. But on the other side we certainly shouldn’t downgrade or remove a player from our board based on the school they come from. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

This. Correlation does not equal causation. I agree that we need to stop inflating players value due to the school they come from. But on the other side we certainly shouldn’t downgrade or remove a player from our board based on the school they come from. 

1000%. It’s our fault for taking idiots like arnette and letting them do whatever they want. 

If we have real leadership that doesn’t happen. Jameson Williams is about as safe as a WR prospect as you can get. If we pass on him, we deserve to get laughed at. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we have real leadership that doesn’t happen. Jameson Williams is about as safe as a WR prospect as you can get. If we pass on him, we deserve to get laughed at. 

My only hesitation with Williams or Burk is that we've failed time and time again trying to build around skill position players early in the draft. Good teams are built in the trenches and we have massive holes at DT and across the OL. 

It looks like we'll be picking in the top 10 this year and there are some good OL/DL prospects at the top of the draft. Ikem Ekwonu is a stud but looks like more of a LT then a RT. Evan Neal is a monster too that looks like a future All-Pro RT, just not sure we'd take him after how bad Leatherwood has been. DeMarvin Leal looks like a stud and is probably the best interior defensive line prospect in the class.

Later in the draft I love Daniel Faalele (6'9 380 monster) and Tyler Smith (Monster that can play G/T) and guys like Zachary Carter, Perrion Winfrey, and Travis Jones. Cory Durden is a late round guy that I think will probably be one of the steals of the draft.

49 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah but you’re oversimplifying it a bit. He’s a great prospect. What reason is there for him to fail in terms of football reasons?

43 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's on us and our culture/lack of leadership. Najee Harris, Jerry Jeudy, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, etc have all come out of Alabama in recent years and have had zero issues in the NFL.

@MrOaktown_56None. 

There was no reason for McClain, Cooper, Ruggs, or Jacobs either though. The same can be said for any number of prospects. 

@NYRaider like I said, I'm in no way saying that Alabama players all bust. I'm just saying that when they play for the Raiders, they almost always do. 

Every semi pro team like Alabama is going to have turds on the roster on and/or off the field just as they're going to have stars in the making. Just so happens that the Raiders, as an organization, overwhelmingly pick out the turds and cannot seem to differentiate between individual and team talent. 

I always use the Pittsburgh rule when it comes to guys: If Pittsburgh doesn't want to keep you, you're probably a problem child. 

Now, I use the Raider rule: If the Raiders as an organization (aka: not the fan base) have interest in you in the first round, and you play for Ohio St or Alabama, you're probably not as good as it seems and probably a problem child. Lol

31 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

1000%. It’s our fault for taking idiots like arnette and letting them do whatever they want. 

I, personally, if I were making the selection, would gladly take Williams. 

But I, personally, if I were making the selection, would also do all of the due diligence imaginable. 

My issue isn't with Alabama or Ohio St themselves (though, screw Ohio St, just sayin). It's how the Raiders have seemed to approach them. 

Like I said, "Position of need player? Check. Played at Ohio State or Alabama? Check. Congrats, kid, you're a Raider." That's about how I'm depth this team seems to honestly go. It's not an Alabama or Ohio State thing, it's absolutely a Raiders thing how they handle business when scouting at specific schools. We overlook way too much or do a horrible job uncovering what should arguably be fairly apparent, and when we do, it's almost always because the team (not the fans) go into top tier programs with rose tint and think they're hitting the jackpot. 

I, you, NYRaider, and others wouldn't do that. I have no doubt we'd be looking deeper because "He plays WR for Alabama" isn't good enough for us on its own. Unfortunately, how this team seems to be run, it is. That is my issue. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I, personally, if I were making the selection, would gladly take Williams. 

But I, personally, if I were making the selection, would also do all of the due diligence imaginable. 

My issue isn't with Alabama or Ohio St themselves (though, screw Ohio St, just sayin). It's how the Raiders have seemed to approach them. 

Like I said, "Position of need player? Check. Played at Ohio State or Alabama? Check. Congrats, kid, you're a Raider." That's about how I'm depth this team seems to honestly go. It's not an Alabama or Ohio State thing, it's absolutely a Raiders thing how they handle business when scouting at specific schools. We overlook way too much or do a horrible job uncovering what should arguably be fairly apparent, and when we do, it's almost always because the team (not the fans) go into top tier programs with rose tint and think they're hitting the jackpot. 

I, you, NYRaider, and others wouldn't do that. I have no doubt we'd be looking deeper because "He plays WR for Alabama" isn't good enough for us on its own. Unfortunately, how this team seems to be run, it is. That is my issue. 

100%. This is definitely an issue. I think almost laziness. You don't check boxes because you come from a big program. You check them because you are a talented, dynamic player.

43 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I know it’s unpopular but I’m against us drafting a WR in round 1. Historically, the 2nd round is a great place for WR value and this year’s WR class is very deep with talent. 

Not really that unpopular really. 

WR1 needs to be addressed in FA. We need someone who can come in and be our primary target, regardless of who is at QB. 

As a natural result, whoever we draft is going to (hopefully) be a WR2/3 splitting targets with Renfrow. At that point, we're drafting an accessory piece. No need to go Rd1. Round 2-3 is probably the sweet spot for a potential guy, especially given this is a class someone is going to fall. 

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

As a natural result, whoever we draft is going to (hopefully) be a WR2/3 splitting targets with Renfrow. At that point, we're drafting an accessory piece. No need to go Rd1. Round 2-3 is probably the sweet spot for a potential guy, especially given this is a class someone is going to fall. 

Drake London is a guy that might fall because he fractured his ankle late in the season. George Pickens is another guy that might fall because he tore his ACL in the spring and just returned for the SEC championship game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I know it’s unpopular but I’m against us drafting a WR in round 1. Historically, the 2nd round is a great place for WR value and this year’s WR class is very deep with talent. 

Of the top 10 leading receivers in the NFL as of this week only 2 were former first round picks, Jefferson and Chase.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Drake London is a guy that might fall because he fractured his ankle late in the season. George Pickens is another guy that might fall because he tore his ACL in the spring and just returned for the SEC championship game.

Gimme either, give me both. Lol.