2022 Draft Talk

swede700

6 hours ago, viking said:

I know this might not be too popular or realistic seeing as we've moved on from Rick but I really want the Vikings to trade back if they can.

Our defense has holes all through the secondary and aging stars. If we could trade back in the first and use the additional draft capital to draft speed on all levels of the defense I think this would set us up best for the foreseeable future.

Agree.  The depth at CB is there that we should probably try get an extra mid rounder.  Need the right trade partner and prospect to fall to 12 though.

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Willis is probably the only QB who has 1st round physical traits. 

Kenny Pickett is the best QB in this class in my opinion. His tape impressed me the most. He makes all the throws, he’s smart with the football and he’s mobile. I wouldn’t mind if we took him #12 overall if he’s still there. I think he will be a year 1 starter wherever he goes. Every other QB from this class is not a year 1 starter. Malik Willis is a Lamar Jackson type project, and I’ve noticed that QBs of that mold don’t have long careers. Look at Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick and etc. Duel threat QBs decline faster than any other style of QB. Which is why I’d stay away from one, especially in the first round. I also think Matt Corral is an interesting QB, that needs to be developed. He could be a great starter in a few years.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Agree.  The depth at CB is there that we should probably try get an extra mid rounder.  Need the right trade partner and prospect to fall to 12 though.

Now draft season is starting I'm hoping some GMs start buying into some QB hype trains and want to trade up like the Bears trading up for Fields last year. (and Yes I know this years QBs class isn't as talented).

20 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

Kenny Pickett is the best QB in this class in my opinion. His tape impressed me the most. He makes all the throws, he’s smart with the football and he’s mobile. I wouldn’t mind if we took him #12 overall if he’s still there. I think he will be a year 1 starter wherever he goes. Every other QB from this class is not a year 1 starter. Malik Willis is a Lamar Jackson type project, and I’ve noticed that QBs of that mold don’t have long careers. Look at Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick and etc. Duel threat QBs decline faster than any other style of QB. Which is why I’d stay away from one, especially in the first round. I also think Matt Corral is an interesting QB, that needs to be developed. He could be a great starter in a few years.  

I wouldn't mind with taking a QB first, but I think O'Connell sticks with Cousins because of their previous history together.

I think they will be forced to stick with Cousins. Can’t see anyone trading for him and essentially being in the same situation as us, especially with Wilson, Watson and Rodgers potentially available. If this was a stacked QB class, I’d be content just letting him playing out his final deal, even if it’s a detriment to the roster this year and draft a QB in round one. Given this years draft is poor for QBs, an extension seems most likely. I think with Cousins and a better defense they can compete for a division title, which really isn’t a bad place to be year one of this regime.

Moving Cousins to start a lesser stop gap without a blue chip rookie developing behind him doesn’t seem very likely to happen this year. 

Id be shocked if they could move Cousins. Even Jimmy G may be more appealing to teams given his cap situation vs Cousins. 

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Id be shocked if they could move Cousins. Even Jimmy G may be more appealing to teams given his cap situation vs Cousins. 

I think you are not factoring in that whoever is trading for him will not pay him at his current cap number. they wont trade for him with only 1 year in mind, there will be an extension and there will be a lower cap hit.

I dont think Wilson is moved. I am not sure about Watson with the legal issues. Rodgers, who knows. But there are a lot of QB needy teams: Denver, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Carolina, Browns, New Orleans...these are all viable destinations for Cousins. 

Kwesi is smart, he is creative. If they believe the best thing for the Vikings future is to move on, I think they'll get it done in a creative manner. 

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

I think you are not factoring in that whoever is trading for him will not pay him at his current cap number. they wont trade for him with only 1 year in mind, there will be an extension and there will be a lower cap hit.

I dont think Wilson is moved. I am not sure about Watson with the legal issues. Rodgers, who knows. But there are a lot of QB needy teams: Denver, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Carolina, Browns, New Orleans...these are all viable destinations for Cousins. 

Kwesi is smart, he is creative. If they believe the best thing for the Vikings future is to move on, I think they'll get it done in a creative manner. 

But why would a team want to extend him if we don’t want to extend him? It doesn’t make sense to me. Is that implying he has more value elsewhere than in MN? Because I don’t necessarily agree with that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It doesn’t make sense to me. Is that implying he has more value elsewhere than in MN? Because I don’t necessarily agree with that. 

teams are in different stages of the win cycle. I know we are Vikings fans and through years of fandom we believe nothing good can ever happen to us, but I really feel Kirk has more value then we think he does. 

There are teams that think they can win and are right now, planning to start Mason Rudolphs of the world as their QB. The Bucs have a team full of win now veterans and might hand the keys over to Kyle Trask??? There are teams right now who have a coach on the hot seat and needs to win to save their jobs (Matt Rhule). 

The Vikings have a clean slate, without the pressure to win now with a Jim Harbaugh hire. The defense needs a lot of help, they are not in a position to continue with this core. Sooner or later, it's time to re-tool. 

Edit: there are two teams out there, in the Browns and the Broncos, who have a lot of staff that have familiarity with Cousins if they swing and miss at Rodgers/Wilson or decide they want to upgrade over Baker. 

Edited by battle2heaven

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I keep seeing more of this from twitter draft folks

There are a lot of fans of Mailk Willis on draft twitter. But a big part of me believes this is because everyone is over compensating for hating/missing on Josh Allen. 

Edited by battle2heaven

6 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

It's gunna be a minefield before 12

6. carolina

8. atlanta

9. denver (if no qb trade although ithink they go veteran route)

11. washington

Carolina isn't going to draft a QB in the 1st rd.  Their coach is already on thin ice, so they aren't going to draft one who likely won't be able to start this year.

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Carolina isn't going to draft a QB in the 1st rd.  Their coach is already on thin ice, so they aren't going to draft one who likely won't be able to start this year.

Man idk, with how bad Cam and Sam are he really can’t be much worse. Maybe that would keep him around if they can improve with McCaffery back.