2022 Draft Talk

swede700

17 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Mond should have virtually no impact on this new regime's draft strategy unless they've re-evaluated Mond and really like him.

Precisely.  And Mond was a 3rd round pick, so it's not like they're cutting bait with a high investment in him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

First round QBs don't usually sit for multiple years.  Jordan Love seems to be one of the few exceptions.

Yeah, but that is usually because teams picking first round QBs don't have a good starter. Cousins isn't going anywhere because of his contract, and he'd obviously start.

Former University of Pittsburgh quarterback Kenny Pickett is considered one of the top prospects in this year’s NFL draft, and the Panthers are one of the teams most in need of a franchise quarterback. So it’s worth noting what a long relationship Pickett has had with Panthers head coach Matt Rhule.

When Pickett was in high school, he committed to play his college football at Temple, where Rhule was the head coach. That didn’t pan out, as Pickett changed his mind to go to Pittsburgh shortly before Rhule left Temple to coach Baylor. But Pickett says the two of them still have a great relationship.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/05/kenny-pickett-talked-to-panthers-at-senior-bowl-says-he-has-a-great-relationship-with-matt-rhule/

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

Yeah, but that is usually because teams picking first round QBs don't have a good starter. Cousins isn't going anywhere because of his contract, and he'd obviously start.

And Cousins only has 1 year remaining left on his deal.  Seems like an ideal situation if the Vikings think their QBOTF is there at 12.

If they are not going for a QB in first round, then I would prefer picking an edge rusher. The pass rush has sucked over the last couple of years...it's just way too dependent on availability of Hunter who is the only good Edge Rusher Vikings have currently

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put a slightly above 0% chance that the Packers would select Willis with that pick if they traded Rodgers.  It'd probably be either an EDGE or DL with that pick.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/fc/fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

If the Vikings select Malik Willis 12th overall they are complete idiots.  The dude is talented but no way is he worth a top 25 pick in the 1st round, he is slow to throw the football because he is so used to just extending plays and taking off and running.  Did great with that in the Senior bowl game but his passing was not so great, made a few nice throws but was just slow to react, good kind has character and personality and tons of upside but is a better bet as a late 1st round early 2nd round pick and ideally sit a year or two.  Clearly has more upside than Mond does but is a bigger risk as well.  Electric running QB that is for sure.

Boye Mafe was a monster in the senior bowl, had great get off and was constantly pressuring the QB.  I would be shocked if he is not a 2nd round pick, dude has a great senior bowl and really performed well.

Faalele did not look awful out there, made a few mistakes but held up a lot better than some of the other tackles in the game.  And in some of the live scrimmages he did poorly but in one on one drills during the week he handled his own pretty well more than once, his size and length made the DE just disappear as long as he is keeps his balance.  Needs a lot of coaching but his upside is so big literally. 

Perrion Winfrey really helped his stock as well after having just a so so season on Oklahoma, he was a different player out there in that game.  Jesse Luketa played well which is not a huge surprise but was productive as an edge rusher and has ILB experience and OLB experience, versatile player but 3/4 OLB pass rusher could increase his stock a lot.  Trevor Penning is a very hyped up guy, I think he is better at guard honestly though but he is an interesting talent and in a some what weak upper OT class guys like Penning will go high because OL is a need.

Pickett is still QB1 as of now.

I'd be ecstatic if we got him. If not him, then Malik Willis, if we are targeting a QB.

I'm not big on Sam Howell, but I think he'll go in the early 2nd.

I never watched Corral. He seems raw. I like Ridder though and think he should be QB3.

With the rumor of Pettine being the favorite for DC could we be in for a switch to a 3-4?  Granted most teams run hybrid fronts and subpackage all the time now but it would  certainly change the Vikes draft strategy amd make you look at some players you would write off as not fitting our normal 4-3.

Luketa amd Mafe immediately come to mind as potential rush LBs although Mafe could probably be equally as good at 43 DE. Leal in the 1st as a 5T?

22 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

With the rumor of Pettine being the favorite for DC could we be in for a switch to a 3-4?  Granted most teams run hybrid fronts and subpackage all the time now but it would  certainly change the Vikes draft strategy amd make you look at some players you would write off as not fitting our normal 4-3.

Luketa amd Mafe immediately come to mind as potential rush LBs although Mafe could probably be equally as good at 43 DE. Leal in the 1st as a 5T?

Pettine?  

vincevaughn-barf.gif

I sure hope these rumors are dread wrong.  Look at the switch Green Bay had this year defensively without him, and the Vikings are dumb enough to bring him in as the DC why?

True the Vikings could make the switch and there are tons of guys to pick from to put in place.  They would not have to switch much.  Luketa is very interesting agreed as is Mafe as edge rushers but Wonnum could play in a 3/4 easily as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Pettine?  

vincevaughn-barf.gif

I sure hope these rumors are dread wrong.  Look at the switch Green Bay had this year defensively without him, and the Vikings are dumb enough to bring him in as the DC why?

True the Vikings could make the switch and there are tons of guys to pick from to put in place.  They would not have to switch much.  Luketa is very interesting agreed as is Mafe as edge rushers but Wonnum could play in a 3/4 easily as well.

Don't kill the messenger lol.  I had the same reaction as you when I first heard it.  Again, just a rumor but would be interested to see the roster turnover with different scheme regardless.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Pettine isn't actually a bad DC.  His last 2 years in Green Bay, their defense was on average the 11th ranked defense and averaged 19.6 PPG in 2019 and 23.1 PPG in 2020.  This year, Green Bay allowed 21.8 PPG.  This year, Green Bay had 26 takeaways (18 INTs and 8 fumbles).  In 2020, they had 18 takeaways and in 2019 they had 25 takeaways.  I would argue that Barry probably did more with less given the injuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Pettine isn't actually a bad DC.  His last 2 years in Green Bay, their defense was on average the 11th ranked defense and averaged 19.6 PPG in 2019 and 23.1 PPG in 2020.  This year, Green Bay allowed 21.8 PPG.  This year, Green Bay had 26 takeaways (18 INTs and 8 fumbles).  In 2020, they had 18 takeaways and in 2019 they had 25 takeaways.  I would argue that Barry probably did more with less given the injuries.

MN goes to the playoffs this year with an 11th ranked defense and 20 points per game.