2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, viking said:

Was Jamar Chase a Luxury pick for the Bengals?

last two Superbowls:

2020 Bucs vs Chiefs

Chiefs have two HOF recieving options

Bucs added Antonio Brown & Gronk to an already stacked recieving core

2021 Rams vs Bengals

Bengals drafted Jamar Chase 5th overall to an already good recieving core while having a worse OL than us.

Rams added OBJ in free agency while already having Kupp & Woods.

The defense needs some love but taking a WR in round 1 isn't a luxury pick for any team. They make the QBs life easier and after QB are the key to having a top offense (which gives you the best chance at winning championships)

AB and Gronk: also not 1st Round Picks. 

Jamar Chase? Sure he was great. But most people thought they should have gone OL with that pick. 9 sacks and 7 sacks in two playoff games, including a Super Bowl loss, lends a lot of credence to the Chase as a luxury pick narrative. Oh yes, and Burrow nearly tearing up his other knee in the Super Bowl...

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Jamar Chase? Sure he was great. But most people thought they should have gone OL with that pick. 9 sacks and 7 sacks in two playoff games, including a Super Bowl loss, lends a lot of credence to the Chase as a luxury pick narrative. Oh yes, and Burrow nearly tearing up his other knee in the Super Bowl...

I personally don't think that offense is as good as it is with Sewell on the team...

Future? Who knows..
Would the Vikings have been better drafting Isaiah Wilson over drafting Justin Jefferson to help our offensive line?

Sure at the time people maybe thought it would have been smart, but sometimes taking the best player available is the best way to go.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Bengals wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs without Chase.

Ok so in the draft let's not draft any recieving threats till the 5th,6th round or college free agents cause that's where Diggs/Brown/Thielen were found.

Ignoring the 2nd most important position on offense and hoping to get lucky will be a disaster. There's 32 Picks in the 1st round and (last year) 227 picks in the remaining rounds that's why it looks "easy" to pick up these players that scouts miss.

Invest in the most impactful positions early and often - don't rely on getting lucky.

1 hour ago, viking said:

Bengals wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs without Chase.

Ok so in the draft let's not draft any recieving threats till the 5th,6th round or college free agents cause that's where Diggs/Brown/Thielen were found.

Ignoring the 2nd most important position on offense and hoping to get lucky will be a disaster. There's 32 Picks in the 1st round and (last year) 227 picks in the remaining rounds that's why it looks "easy" to pick up these players that scouts miss.

Invest in the most impactful positions early and often - don't rely on getting lucky.

Laquon Treadwell was taken early. Hell of a lot less impactful than Thielen, Diggs, or even KJ Osborn. 

In fact, the first round is littered with busts at the WR position. RB/DL/WR are three of the biggest 1st round bust positions. For every Justin Jefferson, there's multiple Treadwells/Reagors/Troy Williamsons. The Vikings have had more success outside of the first round than in it...and there hasn't been much turnover in the scouting department yet. The Vikings have one of the better top 3 WR corps in the league. They have a WR coach who seems to get the most out of them. They have an offense where they can be successful without needing top-of-the-draft talent. They also have an elite RB who catches passes too. A 1st Round WR is simply a bad idea with so many other needs on the other side of the ball. This offense will get it done. They need a defense that is at least a speedbump. 

The Bengals don't get into the Super Bowl without Chase. Even though Burrow got destroyed, it is hard to argue that Chase was anything but the correct pick. Sewell would have been nice, sure, but the problems of the Bengals o-line mainly lies in the interior, where as Sewell plays tackle. Not sure how anyone could say he was a "luxury" pick for them.

Let's not forget: we are talking about Chase. One player. Taken in the Top 5. A guy who many thought might have been the best player in the draft, period. 

To use him as the example for why the Vikings, with other needs and drafting further down the line, should take a WR over what will likely be better defensive value and talent, is not an argument made logically. 

Drake London is no Ja'marr Chase. If he was, he wouldn't be around at pick 12 anyway. 

• Like 2

The NFL and the Scouting Combine, facing a threat that 157 players represented by 14 agencies would skip workouts at next week’s annual Underwear Olympics, has ditched a controversial bubble concept for Indianapolis.

The Scouting Combine has advised all that participants will be permitted to exit the “secure Combine areas during free time in your schedule . . . at your own risk.” Players who prefer to remain in secure areas will be permitted to have approved medical support personnel enter.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/21/scouting-combine-ditches-the-bubble-concept/

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Let's not forget: we are talking about Chase. One player. Taken in the Top 5. A guy who many thought might have been the best player in the draft, period. 

To use him as the example for why the Vikings, with other needs and drafting further down the line, should take a WR over what will likely be better defensive value and talent, is not an argument made logically. 

Drake London is no Ja'marr Chase. If he was, he wouldn't be around at pick 12 anyway. 

Agreed. 
Chase turned out great, but they had the luxury of having Burrow on the roster, and now leap frogged us on best short term and long term outlook. 

it’s still all about drafting a high usage,(actual game impact/snap combination metric) higher valuable position. That to me, is OL, DL, QB or Rush OLB, which is where I’m looking at, at #12

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The NFL and the Scouting Combine, facing a threat that 157 players represented by 14 agencies would skip workouts at next week’s annual Underwear Olympics, has ditched a controversial bubble concept for Indianapolis.

The Scouting Combine has advised all that participants will be permitted to exit the “secure Combine areas during free time in your schedule . . . at your own risk.” Players who prefer to remain in secure areas will be permitted to have approved medical support personnel enter.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/21/scouting-combine-ditches-the-bubble-concept/

POP! Goes the bubble

• Like 2

It's good to see that they relented a little.  I don't believe the bubble is really necessary at this point...I know they were just trying to protect themselves from some type of lawsuit, but as long as they have the players sign a waiver, they should be fine.

57 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's good to see that they relented a little.  I don't believe the bubble is really necessary at this point...I know they were just trying to protect themselves from some type of lawsuit, but as long as they have the players sign a waiver, they should be fine.

It was the timing of the announcement that was the most ridiculous part. 

Probably one of my best mocks so far.  I definitely don't think Elam falls that far tho.  Also small trade down in the 2nd that recouped a 4th.  Jermaine Johnson went way before 12th as well so was between Ojabo and T Walker.

12. David Ojabo EDGE,
60. Kaiir Elam CB,
77. Damone Clark LB,
131. Verone McKinley III S,
155. Chigoziem Okonkwo TE,
182. Cade Mays IOL,
190. Micah McFadden LB,
206. Josh Williams - Fayetteville State CB,
229. Noah Elliss IDL,

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

Probably one of my best mocks so far.  I definitely don't think Elam falls that far tho.  Also small trade down in the 2nd that recouped a 4th.  Jermaine Johnson went way before 12th as well so was between Ojabo and T Walker.

12. David Ojabo EDGE,
60. Kaiir Elam CB,
77. Damone Clark LB,
131. Verone McKinley III S,
155. Chigoziem Okonkwo TE,
182. Cade Mays IOL,
190. Micah McFadden LB,
206. Josh Williams - Fayetteville State CB,
229. Noah Elliss IDL,

I like this. All 3 of your first 3 picks scare me to death; but they all have upside.