2022 Draft Talk

swede700

5 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I agree, it's not crazy, anything can happen in the real draft. this mock is plausible, although i disagree on some of the team picks/needs. some thoughts:

1. A QB should probably go. Panthers still have Darnold, Seahawks have Lock. Lions have Goff. If Falcons don't get Watson, they still need a QB of the future.

2. Some team will draft Garrett Wilson

3. Jordan Davis will probably go in the top 10 after his display. Players like that, with that size and athleticism in the trenches, do not last long.

4. IF this were to happen, If I were the Vikings I would:

1. Entertain a trade down to a team that likes one of the QBs. If not then....

2. Draft Garrett Wilson

3. Draft Malik Willis

QB to the Panthers?  Who?  That would be a reach and a half and is totally irrelevant in terms of edge prospects but could shuffle things.  I guess that would help dropping Gardner down but Gardner would be picked by Seattle then maybe so possibly Stingley could drop to the Vikings which would be hard to pass.

Garrett Wilson I have going to the Chargers but could go to the Eagles also but I have Olave going ahead of him because of more speed and deep threat ability.  Jets or Giants could take him but why I guess, Giants signed Golladay, Shepard and drafted Toney so not sure they give up on all of them already.  Jets sure need a WR but someone will drop in the 2nd round like Burks or Metchie, Bell or Dotson so I assume they wait early 2nd round and get a WR because the edge guys could all be gone or the top ones.  

I agree Jordan Davis could go high no question, I have him going to Cleveland right now right behind the Vikings but would not hate if he came to Minnesota.  Jets might want him also but I think edge is a much bigger need for them.

Trade down is totally an option, I would not mind trading down around bottom part of the 1st and steal Boye Mafe, but I have the Cardinals take him at 23 so would have to be ahead of that.  I would take Boye over George K all day long as a 3/4 OLB.  

But sure would love to Travon Walker or Jermaine Johnson to just fall to the Vikings but not sure that happens because the Jets and Giants really need edge players.  Carl Lawson being hurt last year for the Jets really hurt that team and they do not have much behind him and Giants need a guy opposite Azeez on the outside and Walker could play there or could play on the DL as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

QB to the Panthers?  Who?  That would be a reach and a half and is totally irrelevant in terms of edge prospects but could shuffle things.

Probably Malik Willis. QBs always get pushed  up because of the position. I know this is lying season, but a lot of buzz Willis is in play at #2 for the Lions.

A QB in the top 10 is not irrelevant; it pushes another player down the board. 

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Probably Malik Willis. QBs always get pushed  up because of the position. I know this is lying season, but a lot of buzz Willis is in play at #2 for the Lions.

A QB in the top 10 is not irrelevant; it pushes another player down the board. 

Sure the Lions can take him but I would be shocked if they did that high, right now I have them taking him last pick in the 1st round and if not him Pickett could be there or Corral now that Tom Brady is back and the Steelers signed Mitchell/Haskins.

That would be totally foolish if they took him but yeah crazy things happen and more players move up the better for some to drop.

In that scenario Ojabo could drop to Minnesota but not Johnson or Walker in my view.  

1.    Jacksonville Jaguars - Evan Neal Alabama JR OT/OG  
  2.    Detroit Lions - Malik Willis Liberty RS SR QB    
  3.   Houston Texans -Aidan Hutchinson Michigan SR DE   
  4.    New York Jets - Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT
  5.   New York Giants - Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame JR S  
  6.   Carolina Panthers  - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB
  7.   New York Giants via (Chicago Bears) -  Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR DE 
  8.    Atlanta Falcons - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE 
  9.  Seattle Seahawks via (Denver Broncos) - Derek Stingley Jr LSU JR CB    
 10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) -Travon Walker Georgia JR DE/OLB  
  11.  Washington Commanders - Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH OT
  12.   Minnesota Vikings - David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH DE/OLB

The mock drafts of all the experts are notoriously wrong this time of year. There are always surprise picks. No one gets it right...no matter how much they study it. There's really no sense in being indignant because another person disagrees with an assessment of how the draft will fall. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

In that scenario Ojabo could drop to Minnesota but not Johnson or Walker in my view.  

1.    Jacksonville Jaguars - Evan Neal Alabama JR OT/OG  
  2.    Detroit Lions - Malik Willis Liberty RS SR QB    
  3.   Houston Texans -Aidan Hutchinson Michigan SR DE   
  4.    New York Jets - Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH OG/OT
  5.   New York Giants - Kyle Hamilton Notre Dame JR S  
  6.   Carolina Panthers  - Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati JR CB
  7.   New York Giants via (Chicago Bears) -  Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR DE 
  8.    Atlanta Falcons - Jermaine Johnson Florida State SR LB/DE 
  9.  Seattle Seahawks via (Denver Broncos) - Derek Stingley Jr LSU JR CB    
 10.    New York Jets via (Seattle Seahawks) -Travon Walker Georgia JR DE/OLB  
  11.  Washington Commanders - Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH OT
  12.   Minnesota Vikings - David Ojabo Michigan RS SOPH DE/OLB

In this draft scenario I wouldn’t take Ojabo that high. After watching him play, I’m not that impressed with his game. Yeah he’s fast, twitchy and has a spin move. But he’s really slender and get’s swallowed up by blockers too often. He’s not good in the run game and seems like a designated pass rusher to me. I wouldn’t take a 1 down edge rusher at #12. Just wouldn’t make sense.

I like George Karlaftis a lot more and I think he’s the 4th best DE in the draft after Travon Walker. Karlaftis is great against the run, and he’s very explosive so he’s able to get to the QB. He might be the strongest DE in the draft. With us switching to a 3-4, we could even have him play standing up, which he was effective at in college. A lot of scouts say he’s better than Travon Walker, but I think Walker’s potential is higher. I hope we get one of those guys, just not Ojabo. 

Edited by Purplepride323

3 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

In this draft scenario I wouldn’t take Ojabo that high. After watching him play, I’m not that impressed with his game. Yeah he’s fast, twitchy and has a spin move. But he’s really slender and get’s swallowed up by blockers too often. He’s not good in the run game and seems like a designated pass rusher to me. I wouldn’t take a 1 down edge rusher at #12. Just wouldn’t make sense.

I like George Karlaftis a lot more and I think he’s the 4th best DE in the draft after Travon Walker. Karlaftis is great against the run, and he’s very explosive so he’s able to get to the QB. He might be the strongest DE in the draft. With us switching to a 3-4, we could even have him play standing up, which he was effective at in college. A lot of scouts say he’s better than Travon Walker, but I think Walker’s potential is higher. I hope we get one of those guys, just not Ojabo. 

That's supposedly a weak point in his game as well at least according to Lance Zierlein

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/george-karlaftis/32004b41-5230-3382-e405-41205d323076

On 3/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, Ozzy said:

Sure the Lions can take him but I would be shocked if they did that high, right now I have them taking him last pick in the 1st round and if not him Pickett could be there or Corral now that Tom Brady is back and the Steelers signed Mitchell/Haskins.

Vikings' fans if nobody else should realize that QBs get pushed up the board.  I'm with @battle2heaven on this one, I think a QB goes top 12.  Carolina at 6 and Seattle at 9 both need a QB.  You could put Detroit, NY Giants (unlikely), Atlanta, and Minnesota as teams that might take a QB.  Someone is going to gamble on Malik Willis.  My question is who?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Vikings' fans if nobody else should realize that QBs get pushed up the board.  I'm with @battle2heaven on this one, I think a QB goes top 12.  Carolina at 6 and Seattle at 9 both need a QB.  You could put Detroit, NY Giants (unlikely), Atlanta, and Minnesota as teams that might take a QB.  Someone is going to gamble on Malik Willis.  My question is who?

Sure someone could gamble but if the Lions take Willis #2 overall and pass on the dudes there, they are pretty foolish especially for such a raw player.  I would not be surprised to see no QB picked in the top 12 but sure it probably will happen.